MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 42 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #411 of 887 Old 03-27-13, 02:56 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

I’m also leaning towards the UMM-6 Steve for that reason; I also just don’t feel the UMIK-1 results can be trusted (at least the ones being shipped now).

Hopefully Cross-Spectrum Labs will have them available soon.

Btw, are you the same Scubasteve who made the demo disc? If so good work and thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #412 of 887 Old 03-27-13, 03:02 PM
Shackster
Steve Bishop

Quote:
Infrasonic wrote: View Post
I’m also leaning towards the UMM-6 Steve for that reason; I also just don’t feel the UMIK-1 results can be trusted (at least the ones being shipped now).

Hopefully Cross-Spectrum Labs will have them available soon.

Btw, are you the same Scubasteve who made the demo disc? If so good work and thank you very much!
Yes, that would be me. I made two actually, if you didn't get the newer one (the one that prompts you for widescreen or scope at launch) you should definitely get it.

I'm going with the UMM-6 as well. There's no point in really taking the risk from what I can tell.
post #413 of 887 Old 03-28-13, 12:56 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
Scubasteve2365 wrote: View Post
So what's the final result here? Is the UMIK-1 not a good choice if you want to EQ subs below 20Hz?

I think I'm going either UMIK-1 or the UMM-6. Of course, at the moment neither are readily available.
Not sure if there is a consensus on this, but my personal opinion at this point is "whatever is available through Cross Spectrum with their calibration," considering pre-cal mic-to-mic variation, recent events, etc.

post #414 of 887 Old 03-28-13, 02:43 AM
Elite Shackster

What would be interesting is someone to send a UMIK to Cross Spectrum for calibration and then compare the Minidsp file.
post #415 of 887 Old 03-28-13, 09:00 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
What would be interesting is someone to send a UMIK to Cross Spectrum for calibration and then compare the Minidsp file.
When compared to my EMM-6 the response appeared near identical, so I've got to believe there would not be much value to a Cross-Spectrum calibration above 20Hz HOWEVER it sure would be nice to have the calibration data for below 20Hz.

I really like the miniDSP, its a simple yet powerful tool that impresses me every time I play with it. Just last night I happened upon an updated "beta plug-in" that had quietly replaced the old 4-way plug-in that had been in my "downloads" box. This new beta was never announced and if I'd not happen to read a thread discussing miniDSP issues over at AVS I'd have not been aware there was one out nor would I have any inkling as to what all it is supposed to fix as there is no "changes" or "fixed" list that comes with it (**see my EDIT below). Sigh... I love their products but the customer support side of things leaves a whole lot to be desired.

I'd say if you have (or think you'll ever have) the need to observe below 20Hz in-room response and desire some bit of accuracy (I mean be able to trust in what REW is graphing below 20Hz) then better steer clear of the UMIK-1... the DevTeam has been totally ignoring the thread and postings over on their own help forum where we keep asking if they will release below 20Hz data. They haven't responded in over a month despite the fact that all posters to a thread get an email copy of every new posting and since DevTeam has posted in that thread you KNOW they are getting copies of every one of these postings begging for some sort of response from them... so basically we UMIK-1 owners are just being ignored... which tells me they don't intend to do any thing about it otherwise we'd surely have been told something by now.

As much as I love my 2X4 miniDSP and will recommend it to people, I surely wouldn't if there were any competitive alternative product out there at its price... and though I think this UMIK-1 is a wonderful quality USB mic, I just couldn't recommend it based upon the lousy (nearly non-existent) customer support by the manufacturer and the miniDSP DevTeam. Go with the Cross-Spectrum calibrated UMM-6... I sure wish I had done that now.

**EDIT: Okay I just found a "bug fixed" list for the new beta plug-in in my downloads area... I could have sworn I didn't see one there when I first saw it.

Last edited by monomer; 03-28-13 at 09:38 AM.
post #416 of 887 Old 03-28-13, 11:09 AM
Shackster

I'm also in the deciding mode of what to go with.. UMIK-1 or UMM-6, I've had REW for a couple months and have yet to actually use it.. mostly doing online research on the components I need to tinker with it.. I do keep coming back to the "plug-&-play" aspect of the UMIK-1..

Also trying to decide between the DSP1124(old, I know) or a miniDSP - i read the whole thread on dsp1124 v1.3 MIDI issues as well as this one.. threw me for a loop so I am up in the air, just want it all to play nice with REW

Hey ScubaSteve, I frequent AVS as well - I think I got your 5 disc set(or is it 4) on my PC, I've only burned one so far though.. very nice work

edit; UMM-6 not EMM-6

Last edited by dRwOOD73; 03-28-13 at 01:47 PM.
post #417 of 887 Old 03-28-13, 05:17 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
When compared to my EMM-6 the response appeared near identical, so I've got to believe there would not be much value to a Cross-Spectrum calibration above 20Hz HOWEVER it sure would be nice to have the calibration data for below 20Hz.
I think to compare with the same actual mic would be better, and also USB side of things.

Quote:
I really like the miniDSP, its a simple yet powerful tool that impresses me every time I play with it. Just last night I happened upon an updated "beta plug-in" that had quietly replaced the old 4-way plug-in that had been in my "downloads" box. This new beta was never announced and if I'd not happen to read a thread discussing miniDSP issues over at AVS I'd have not been aware there was one out nor would I have any inkling as to what all it is supposed to fix as there is no "changes" or "fixed" list that comes with it (**see my EDIT below). Sigh... I love their products but the customer support side of things leaves a whole lot to be desired.
Sounds like it. Doesn't put alot of confidence in people for all their products.
How is their support for their other products that you know off?

Quote:
I'd say if you have (or think you'll ever have) the need to observe below 20Hz in-room response and desire some bit of accuracy (I mean be able to trust in what REW is graphing below 20Hz) then better steer clear of the UMIK-1... the DevTeam has been totally ignoring the thread and postings over on their own help forum where we keep asking if they will release below 20Hz data. They haven't responded in over a month despite the fact that all posters to a thread get an email copy of every new posting and since DevTeam has posted in that thread you KNOW they are getting copies of every one of these postings begging for some sort of response from them... so basically we UMIK-1 owners are just being ignored... which tells me they don't intend to do any thing about it otherwise we'd surely have been told something by now.

As much as I love my 2X4 miniDSP and will recommend it to people, I surely wouldn't if there were any competitive alternative product out there at its price... and though I think this UMIK-1 is a wonderful quality USB mic, I just couldn't recommend it based upon the lousy (nearly non-existent) customer support by the manufacturer and the miniDSP DevTeam. Go with the Cross-Spectrum calibrated UMM-6... I sure wish I had done that now.

**EDIT: Okay I just found a "bug fixed" list for the new beta plug-in in my downloads area... I could have sworn I didn't see one there when I first saw it.

What advantages (outside UMIK issues) does the UMM-6 have over UMIK?
I know which calibration i wouild trust in general, guess?

I am currently trialing a Antimode 2.0 Dual Core, very interesting.
Have been using it on my Mains (Energy Veritas 2.3i Floorstanders).
My room has got a mode at 37hz that has been dealt with + other issues.
Very versitile to date, auto calibration up to 80hz or 150hz or 350hz or 500hz, with manual PEQ for full range. Also other setups that i have not approached.
post #418 of 887 Old 03-28-13, 05:59 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
dRwOOD73 wrote: View Post
Also trying to decide between the DSP1124(old, I know) or a miniDSP - i read the whole thread on dsp1124 v1.3 MIDI issues as well as this one.. threw me for a loop so I am up in the air, just want it all to play nice with REW
Wouldn't it be nice if life was so simple?
post #419 of 887 Old 03-28-13, 10:11 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
I'm also in the deciding mode of what to go with.. UMIK-1 or UMM-6... ...I do keep coming back to the "plug-&-play" aspect of the UMIK-1...
Plug-n-play is nice but really its only a few more mouse clicks to get a UMM-6 going... it should not be a deciding factor. I suspect most people who have the interest and money to be using REW and EQs and installing room treatments etc to improve in-room response, will usually have a subwoofer (or two) with sub-20Hz capability and thus below 20Hz calibrated response should definitely be a concern. I think it may be a bigger concern than plug-n-play since you can always get the UMM-6 to function with just a few more mouse clicks. (I believe the UMM-6 calibration file doesn't come with a sensitivity factor so... For most applications you don't need a calibrated SPL but if you did then you'd need to purchase or borrrow an SPL meter). If the UMIK-1 below 20Hz calibration data ever gets released then I would recommend it but 'til then I've got to say go with the UMM-6.

Quote:
...Also trying to decide between the DSP1124(old, I know) or a miniDSP...
Back in 2006 I first downloaded REW and it soon inspired me to get a BFD1124 to tame the room modes and other accoustic anomilies I'd become aware of (thanks to REW)... I was unlucky as I had the dreaded hum that couldn't be tamed (and I spent quite a lot of money, time, and effort in the attempt)... in addition to that issue I swear I could also hear added distortion and I found it quite distracting, all in all I wasn't too pleased with it and after a few months of struggling with it and trying so hard to like it, I finally gave up in frustration and disappointment in its performance. Though the miniDSP is almost twice as expensive it has many capabilities the 1124 doesn't... in fact I wouldn't even consider it direct competition. I guess it will depend upon what you're looking to do with it but the miniDSP is very powerful in how it can be used, whether you choose to use all of those functions or not may well decide it the extra expense will make it worth it for you. In my complex situation its a Godsend... my system's in-room response has never sounded this good in so many seated locations and the miniDSP made it possible.
post #420 of 887 Old 03-28-13, 10:20 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
I believe the UMM-6 calibration file doesn't come with a sensitivity factor so
I believe it comes with the Dayton mic itself but Herb doesn't give it out with the mic because he hasn't measured it.

No harm in asking Herb.