MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 43 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #421 of 887 Old 03-28-13, 10:32 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
...How is their support for their other products that you know off?...
I only own two of their products but that alone has given me the occasion to visit their help forum a number of times in the last month and a half and the observation I've made is that the DevTeam (don't know if this "Team" consists of more than one person or not) doesn't visit very often and much less so as of late. Appears to maybe drop in once a week, if that. to answer three or four posts and that's it. I THINK they are somewhat responsive to glitches on the programming side of things but again doesn't communicate well... stuff just appears when it appears. So far I've not been too impressed with that help forum, that's for sure...

Quote:
...What advantages (outside UMIK issues) does the UMM-6 have over UMIK?...
I wouldn't be the one to answer this since I don't own a UMM-6 but I would suggest that there no advantages over the UMIK except that its calibration file contains below 20Hz data... down to 5Hz to be exact... but that is a pretty important advantage really when you get to thinking about what most of us are trying to accomplish in our theaters.

Quote:
...My room has got a mode at 37hz that has been dealt with + other issues.
Very versitile to date, auto calibration up to 80hz or 150hz or 350hz or 500hz, with manual PEQ for full range. Also other setups that i have not approached.
Ah but will it do crossovers? high-shelf, low-shelf filters? allow you to tailor the in-room response yourself through tweaking of PEQ, delays, gains, for each of 4 or more outputs? I really don't know anything about the Antimode but I thought it was a push button operation... if so, I believe I would much prefer to have the control over the process.

Last edited by monomer; 03-28-13 at 10:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 887 Old 03-29-13, 02:42 PM

I have Umik and Macbook pro, when i use the Spl meter somehow the readings are odd to me.
In a room with no music playing the meter is somewhere near the 60db, that cant be right. Or is there something that im missing.
post #423 of 887 Old 03-29-13, 05:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Only seen the basics so far.

Quote:
Ah but will it do crossovers?
Yes

Quote:
high-shelf, low-shelf filters?
Yes

Quote:
allow you to tailor the in-room response yourself through tweaking of PEQ, delays, gains, for each of 4 or more outputs?
Yes, the PEQ (16 x filters per channel) is very powerful, but only pays to use in moderation anyway.

Quote:
I really don't know anything about the Antimode but I thought it was a push button operation... if so, I believe I would much prefer to have the control over the process.

Also has a Auto calibration which is very accurate.

Also has Multiple Measurement/Calibration options.

post #424 of 887 Old 03-29-13, 05:41 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Raser wrote: View Post
I have Umik and Macbook pro, when i use the Spl meter somehow the readings are odd to me.
In a room with no music playing the meter is somewhere near the 60db, that cant be right. Or is there something that im missing.

Not saying there is not a problem with the reading.

Have you got access to a SPL meter that you can borrow to give you an idea?

Do you live in a main road (sometimes we can't hear).

Mics etc are alot more sensitive more than our ears.
post #425 of 887 Old 03-29-13, 05:54 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Okay you got me curious enough that I went to the dspeaker website and read a little about it. WOW is that thing pricey? Too rich for me... whew.

This dual-core model appears to be for a two channel set-up only... the last time I remember reading about the Antimode it was the 8033 model that apparently had a single channel that most people used to tune in their sub... so this thing is something new to me. Seems to do a lot of stuff... so how good is it?
post #426 of 887 Old 03-29-13, 06:04 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Raser wrote: View Post
...is there something that im missing.
This is from the last DevTeam communication over on the miniDSP UMIK help forum... it was posted about a month ago... make of it what you will.

"many tests later, we can confirm so far that the sensitivity data is correct (-21dBFS for second batch). So what was initially thought to be a calibration file issue doesn't seem like it. That sensitivity data is indeed correct and can be reproduced by reading the dBFS reading from the USB Audio driver @ 1kHz 94dBSPL.

What's yet to be investigated is why the respective SPL reading is incorrect in REW (6dB difference). We're now in talks with John (Author of REW) to understand what's happening behind the scenes. We'll update the community once we hear back.

In the mean time, if you want to make an accurate SPL reading with SN 190~480, you should clear the calibration file and you'll get a reading that's quite close."
post #427 of 887 Old 03-29-13, 06:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Okay you got me curious enough that I went to the dspeaker website and read a little about it. WOW is that thing pricey? Too rich for me... whew.
Not cheap but in comparison with others over here, not bad at all. Cheaper than what i paid for the SVS ASEQ-1, this only dealt with subs as you probaly know.

Quote:
This dual-core model appears to be for a two channel set-up only
Sitting currently in my Yamaha Z9 receiver operating my mains, but can also operate subs as Stereo or Mono.

Quote:
Seems to do a lot of stuff... so how good is it?
Yes it does and i have only touched on the basics.

So far i am impressed with the results and manual PEQ capibilties.
My wifes listening test said that the sound was more "natural and clean". I had absolutely no influence on what she said.
post #428 of 887 Old 03-29-13, 09:21 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
My wifes listening test said that the sound was more "natural and clean". I had absolutely no influence on what she said.
I agree. While I only have the 8033C it made a huge difference in evening out the response of my sub in my room. When I got it awhile back I didn't want to mess with a mic, amp, EQ's and REW for hours but since these USB mics have come out I want to see exactly what is happening in my room. I ended up ordering the UMM-6.
post #429 of 887 Old 03-30-13, 10:15 AM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

I haven't read the entire thread but the gist of it is that this mic is inaccurate for BELOW 20 hz response? So Cross Spectrum could calibrate it to be accurate throughout the frequency response, including down deep?
post #430 of 887 Old 03-30-13, 11:18 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Doctor X wrote: View Post
I haven't read the entire thread but the gist of it is that this mic is inaccurate for BELOW 20 hz response? So Cross Spectrum could calibrate it to be accurate throughout the frequency response, including down deep?
Yes, but if you are budget conscious then there are other cheaper alternatives than purchasing a UMIK for $95 (that includes shipping) and then a Cross-Spectrum calibration for $55-$75 (which doesn't include shipping to their facilities) which would work out to a total of $155-$175... most people might feel they could do better for cheaper.