MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 44 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #431 of 887 Old 03-30-13, 11:33 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

About the UMIK's sensitivity factor in the calibration file...

Last night I got a little bored and so I decided to play around with setting up my miniDSP again (I love creating new EQ filters to match my targets... the more I do this the better I get at it and the more I'm learning about how to properly integrate my subs)...

Anyway, at one point I got to doing a comparison between the SPL meter in REW verses what Audyssey sets the levels at and also what my RS SPL meter reads... the conclusion I've come up with is if I lower the UMIK's calibration file sensitivity factor by -9 or -10dBs everything agrees and the noise floor stays solid in the forties which is also reasonable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #432 of 887 Old 03-30-13, 11:36 AM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

Quote:
monomer wrote:
Yes, but if you are budget conscious then there are other cheaper alternatives than purchasing a UMIK for $95 (that includes shipping) and then a Cross-Spectrum calibration for $55-$75 (which doesn't include shipping to their facilities) which would work out to a total of $155-$175... most people might feel they could do better for cheaper.
Hi. Basically I'm looking for a "plug and play" solution. I don't want to buy a separate phantom power unit, and a separate sound card. The UMIK is nice because it's self-contained.

Are there any alternatives to the UMIK that are better and also self-contained? As I understand it, all I need to do measurements is the UMIK and my notebook. I don't want additional hardware.
post #433 of 887 Old 03-30-13, 11:56 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

As far as I know, the UMIK is the only "plug-n-play" USB option out right now... however it really isn't any more than a few mouse clicks to get a UMM-6 working in REW but what you get is below 20Hz calibration data. If you have a capable subwoofer you'll soon realize just how important that is when you don't have a file that goes below 20Hz and that's the real problem with the UMIKs currently... definitely worth a few extra mouse clicks to set-up an UMM-6 in REW (you'll only need to do it the first time). The only difference besides the below 20Hz response is that the UMIK supplies a sensitivity factor in its calibration file that the UMM-6 doesn't, however there is no disputing that that factor is incorrect and the current discussion centers around by how much... so that sort of neutralize that advantage, and besides for most of what your are intending to do a calibrated SPL isn't going to be important. I own a UMIK and I want so much to like it and for most everything I'm doing I really do like it however the one short-coming (no below 20Hz calibration data) is a major one I believe. Hopefully in the future the UMIK manufacture will release that data and then it will be best choice out there but 'til then I can't recommend it.

post #434 of 887 Old 03-30-13, 12:05 PM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

But correct me if I'm wrong, the UMM-6 requires additional hardware to run? So it's not just a few mouse clicks, it's a few other things as well, right?

But you are telling me that if I bought the UMIK and had it calibrated by Cross Spectrum then all would be fine? It just would be a little pricey? I had my Galaxy CM-140 calibrated by them. I just want a solution that is simple to use and accurate. I don't mind paying more ... assuming the results would be accurate down low but I absolutely don't want a couple of things to lug around with me when I want to do a room measurement, hence why the UMIK seems like a good idea.

If price wasn't an issue, would you have anything against having it calibrated by Cross Spectrum?
post #435 of 887 Old 03-30-13, 03:47 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

No, they are both USB mics and therefore get their power thru the USB connector. You might be confusing it with the EMM-6 which does require phantom power... the U in the UMM-6 model designation I'm pretty sure must stand for USB. I have an EMM-6 (got it on sale from Parts Express, I think $29) and an Art USB dual pre-amp (got it offa eBay, one channel was busted for $36 shipped) that together cost me less ($65 total) than my UMIK did ($95)... of the two, I prefer using the UMIK.

Quote:
Doctor X wrote: View Post
...If price wasn't an issue...
If price were not an issue? hard for me to imagine... but really cost is the only downside I can see.

Last edited by monomer; 04-04-13 at 10:28 AM.
post #436 of 887 Old 03-30-13, 04:58 PM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

So basically the UMM-6 is sort of plug and play ... and has better accuracy below 20 Hz. The UMIK is a little easier to use but to get the response as accurate below 20 Hz will end up costing quite a bit more than the UMM-6 as it would need a calibration.

I think I understand. : )
post #437 of 887 Old 03-30-13, 06:41 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
So basically the UMM-6 is sort of plug and play
The UMM-6 mic is plug and play, you might have to the first time only click a extra couple of times but then after that it would be the same as the UMIK.

Quote:
... and has better accuracy below 20 Hz.
Absolutely

Quote:
The UMIK is a little easier to use
Where do you see that the UMM-6 is more difficult to use?

Quote:
but to get the response as accurate below 20 Hz will end up costing quite a bit more than the UMM-6 as it would need a calibration.
Because you have a SPL meter that is calibrated i would personally go with the UMM-6 and calibrate the UMM-6 SPL with the SPL meter (you would haver best of both worlds).

Personally i would trust the calibration form Cross - Spectrum.

Your choice

1. UMIK that is calibration down to 20hz with SPL data that at this stage is inconsistent, and you would use the SPL meter to calibrate the mic anyway.

or

2. UMM-6 that is calibrated down to 5hz, then you calibrate the SPL with your SPL meter.

Hope this helps

Do you plan in getting any EQ?
post #438 of 887 Old 03-31-13, 05:12 AM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

Quote:
Phillips wrote:
Because you have a SPL meter that is calibrated i would personally go with the UMM-6 and calibrate the UMM-6 SPL with the SPL meter (you would haver best of both worlds).
I don't know to what frequency my SPL meter was calibrated. I just know the levels are accurate, but I don't know if response below 20 Hz is reliable or not. Have the CM-140 with the verified calibration from Cross Spectrum.
post #439 of 887 Old 03-31-13, 05:13 AM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

Quote:
Phillips wrote:
Do you plan in getting any EQ?
I plan on using XT32. But I may decide at a later stage to get a dedicated sub EQ like the anti-mode. No manually adjustable EQ for me.
post #440 of 887 Old 03-31-13, 05:16 AM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

Quote:
Phillips wrote:
UMM-6 that is calibrated down to 5hz, then you calibrate the SPL with your SPL meter.
Is there is a guide on using the UMM-6 with Room EQ wizard? How easy would it be to calibrate the SPL with my SPL meter? I've never used a dedicated condenser mic before.