MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 46 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #451 of 887 Old 04-02-13, 07:27 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
Doctor X wrote: View Post
I guess I'm having difficulty understanding why the mic must be calibrated for accurate results if a calibration file could also achieve accurate results. So, for example, if the UMIK corrects the issue with consistency and enables us to measure down to 10 Hz (according to the link provided by turboman) is there still a reason to have it calibrated by Cross Spectrum afterwards?
Some users might be in a "wait and see" mode regarding the UMIK-1 directly from miniDSP, waiting for verification by other users and/or Cross Spectrum Labs and/or other testers that their 10 Hz data is trustworthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 887 Old 04-02-13, 07:52 AM
Shackster
Steve Bishop

Quote:
Doctor X wrote: View Post
I guess I'm having difficulty understanding why the mic must be calibrated for accurate results if a calibration file could also achieve accurate results. So, for example, if the UMIK corrects the issue with consistency and enables us to measure down to 10 Hz (according to the link provided by turboman) is there still a reason to have it calibrated by Cross Spectrum afterwards?
As I understand it, both come calibrated. There is no extra charge to have a UMM-6 calibrated from Cross Spectrum. There is a premium calibration service provided by Cross Spectrum but it appears to be for the non-USB mic. That premium service gets you additional information in the report such as noise floor.

Neither is calibrating the mic physically to change it's response but rather plotting it's factory shipped response against a known reference microphone. This results in the calibration file that REW will use.

If the UMIK has an accurate calibration file down to 10Hz, then it should be fine. The Cross Spectrum is calibrated down to 5Hz and comes with the response at 45 degree and 90 degree angles. Plus the UMM-6 is actually handled by a human being who personally generates the report as opposed to just coming from the OEM.

Granted I've used neither, but to me the UMM-6 seems like a no-brainer decision over the UMIK.
post #453 of 887 Old 04-02-13, 11:00 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
turboman wrote: View Post
See this announcement from miniDSP regarding the UMIK-1
http://www.minidsp.com/forum/2-annou...eadings-in-rew
Yes, but now there is a new problem... my two files (old and new) do not match... in fact they are not even close to being the same files. Its as if I just got some other UMIK file by mistake. Example: there is a 4.4dB difference between file calibration values at 20Hz which become a 2.7dB difference by the time it get to 40Hz... basically there is no resemblance between my two files. Something is seriously wrong here... I noted this in a posting over on their UMIK help forum and eagerly await their response before I attempt to use any of their calibration data at this point.

I do know the older file seems to sync with my EMM-6 so I suspect the bogus calibration file is the new one just released.

Last edited by monomer; 04-02-13 at 11:05 AM.

post #454 of 887 Old 04-03-13, 03:42 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Some users might be in a "wait and see" mode regarding the UMIK-1 directly from miniDSP, waiting for verification by other users and/or Cross Spectrum Labs and/or other testers that their 10 Hz data is trustworthy.

Agree, Cross - Spectrum already has the reputation.

Matter of intersst how will other people know it is accurate, each mic will be different?

Really to be real confident you would want to send to Herb to test?
post #455 of 887 Old 04-03-13, 03:45 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Scubasteve2365 wrote: View Post
As I understand it, both come calibrated. There is no extra charge to have a UMM-6 calibrated from Cross Spectrum. There is a premium calibration service provided by Cross Spectrum but it appears to be for the non-USB mic. That premium service gets you additional information in the report such as noise floor.

Neither is calibrating the mic physically to change it's response but rather plotting it's factory shipped response against a known reference microphone. This results in the calibration file that REW will use.

If the UMIK has an accurate calibration file down to 10Hz, then it should be fine. The Cross Spectrum is calibrated down to 5Hz and comes with the response at 45 degree and 90 degree angles. Plus the UMM-6 is actually handled by a human being who personally generates the report as opposed to just coming from the OEM.

Granted I've used neither, but to me the UMM-6 seems like a no-brainer decision over the UMIK.
Well put
post #456 of 887 Old 04-03-13, 03:50 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
Yes, but now there is a new problem... my two files (old and new) do not match... in fact they are not even close to being the same files. Its as if I just got some other UMIK file by mistake. Example: there is a 4.4dB difference between file calibration values at 20Hz which become a 2.7dB difference by the time it get to 40Hz... basically there is no resemblance between my two files. Something is seriously wrong here... I noted this in a posting over on their UMIK help forum and eagerly await their response before I attempt to use any of their calibration data at this point.

I do know the older file seems to sync with my EMM-6 so I suspect the bogus calibration file is the new one just released.
If i remember both mics were lined up very close to each other?

I think you are rught incorrect file is the new one, possibly show them in a REW graph?
post #457 of 887 Old 04-03-13, 02:25 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post

Interesting. I just downloaded the 10hz cal file, and from 20hz and up it is exactly the same for me (7000508). My sens factor is still a bit high compared to my SPL meter with the HTS correction values (by about 3db), but it looks to be pretty consistently 3db different, so it is an easy fix on my end.

Did you double/triple check that you are looking at the same S/N? I can't tell you how many times I've transposed a digit or fat fingered a number.

If not, it'll be interesting to see what MiniDSP's response is. Especially since you have confirmed the the old cal file versus your EMM-6.

Last edited by snowmanick; 04-04-13 at 02:58 AM. Reason: missed a zero in the sn
post #458 of 887 Old 04-03-13, 04:54 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
snowmanick wrote: View Post
...Did you double/triple check that you are looking at the same S/N?...
Yes, my files were copied correctly... you can view them for yourself, its serial #7000275. I looked at yours and sure enough you must be one of the lucky ones as your files do indeed match. I looked at several other random serial numbers yesterday to compare old and new files (picked numbers between 200-400) and all have the same weirdness as mine... yours however is quite different and appears to be correctly done.... so that even deepens the mystery of what's going on. Zajac just posted a graph of his UMIK files over in the manufacturer's UMIK help forum... check it out, looks bizarro like mine.

EDIT: I think I see the difference between our files... yours never goes negative even down to 20Hz where as both mine and Zajac's file are in negative territory prior to 20Hz... the new files by contrast have the graphs going quite positive instead of negative... so if I had to guess, I'm thinking the error in the algorithm has to do with how negative signs handled.

Last edited by monomer; 04-03-13 at 05:01 PM.
post #459 of 887 Old 04-04-13, 12:00 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Here is a graph of both of my UMIK calibration files. As you can plainly see, there is something really wrong with the new file.
Attached Thumbnails
MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-graph.jpg  

post #460 of 887 Old 04-04-13, 01:45 AM

This is the comparison plot for SN 7000370, looks similar to monomers. The files surely have difference. Is there really an issue ? Or is it that the new file is better than the old one ?
Attached Thumbnails
MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-cal.-file-compare.jpg  

Last edited by sachn; 04-04-13 at 02:07 AM.