MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 48 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #471 of 887 Old 04-07-13, 03:55 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
Hey Nick, I had some time today and decided to graph your UMIK's response. Without careful examination I had just assumed it was correctly done until I actually started looking at the below 20Hz data just now... Looking at the graph I'm convinced something is not right. Imagine if you'd extended that drop off down to 5Hz??? It'd probably be -38 dB if that slope holds!!!! Perhaps even lower than that if it doesn't!!!! Then if you look at the composite calibration file data from the first batch of UMIKs... even that's looking impossible but for the opposite reason, those are waaaay too flat to be off by only -3dB or less going down to 5Hz, its simply not believable. In fact if you account for that 'jag' in the freq response at 20Hz then it would appear all 188 UMIKs in the first batch fall into a +/- 2.5dB variance all the way down to 5Hz... that's so totally fake. So apparently none of the below 20Hz data for either batch is correct... what is going on

Apparently the UMIK uses the same Panasonic capsule as the ECM8000 but looking at the composite cal files from Cross Spectrum Labs for their calibrated ECM8000s only going down to 20Hz the variance is far greater yet those look more believable. In their example file for the ECM8000 posted on their website... it is down -6dB by 10Hz and down -13dB by 5 Hz... I assume they selected a middle-of-the-road cal file to use as their example cal file... if so, then none of these UMIK cal files bear any resemblance what-so-ever to the ECM8000, even accounting for differences in housing effects.

And then there is still that sensitivity factor mystery with high noise floors being reported, also those mystery 1kHz spikes (and overtones), etc...

I hope they can get to the bottom of all this soon and straighten the mess out... Until then, I don't recommend anyone looking to get a USB measurement mic even consider this UMIK!

Phillips... if this goes on much longer without resolution I may just have to take your suggestion and "bite the bullet" and send my UMIK in to Cross Spectrum for a real calibration by professionals... and if that's what it ends up coming down to to get a reliable calibration file for my UMIK I'm going to be upset.

Have you posted your comparison EMM6 vs UMIK measurement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #472 of 887 Old 04-07-13, 04:54 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
Have you posted your comparison EMM6 vs UMIK measurement?
Way back in post #322 in this thread. It was actually off by about 2-3 dBs in places but reversed itself at around 30Hz. All in all it didn't look that bad from 20-20KHz but then the EMM-6 calibration file was NOT from Cross Spectrum Labs either but rather done by the mic manufacturer, who could well have been the same manufacturer that does the UMIK. There's no way to know since they are basically anonymous to the public. Its file also stops at 20Hz.

Quote:
ack_bak wrote: View Post
...Perhaps if enough of us go down this path Cross Spectrum will give us a discount (and Minidsp should refund us!)...
I would be willing to try and get a large enough group of us UMIK owners together to attempt a discount for a group buy of Cross Spectrum calibration services... though I would be highly skeptical that miniDSP or their mic supplier would help defray any of these additional costs. We could try though... I'd first like to give miniDSP a few days to see if they can begin to sort out these issues. I'm thinking its just a case of sorting out the raw data by correctly matching it up but I'm certainly no expert in how this is all done... after all we paid them to be the experts didn't we?

Last edited by monomer; 04-07-13 at 08:30 PM.
post #473 of 887 Old 04-07-13, 04:54 PM
Shackster

I wish this info was out before I bought my UMIK!!

AVR - Onkyo TX-SR709
Amp - Rotel 985 Mkii
Speakers:
Fronts - Aperion Verus Grand Towers
Center - Energy RC-LCR
Sub - SVS PB-12NSD
Surrounds - Energy CR-10 x4

post #474 of 887 Old 04-07-13, 08:01 PM
Shackster

How much does calibration from Cross Spectrum cost?

AVR - Onkyo TX-SR709
Amp - Rotel 985 Mkii
Speakers:
Center - Energy RC-LCR
Sub - SVS PB-12NSD
post #475 of 887 Old 04-07-13, 08:09 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
rmalak wrote: View Post
How much does calibration from Cross Spectrum cost?
For the basic calibration cost is $55 which includes return shipping, however you must pay get it shipped to them first. There is also a premium calibration option which is $75. You can get more details on their calibration methods here.

Last edited by monomer; 04-07-13 at 08:31 PM.
post #476 of 887 Old 04-08-13, 02:03 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

For those who may be interested in the back story on this second batch of UMIKs, go here In some ways it makes me feel better to know what was really going on but in the end we'll still need a fix.
post #477 of 887 Old 04-08-13, 04:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
EMM-6 calibration file was NOT from Cross Spectrum Labs either but rather done by the mic manufacturer
My opologies i thought it was calibrated by CS.
post #478 of 887 Old 04-08-13, 04:48 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
For those who may be interested in the back story on this second batch of UMIKs, go here In some ways it makes me feel better to know what was really going on but in the end we'll still need a fix.
Great you got an answer.

Just a question why don't they post on this thread, that would automatically update more people?

It would be easy, or they would have to do is copy and paste.

Is there alot more posters on their website, still a concern people who are out there that is not aware of whats going on?
post #479 of 887 Old 04-09-13, 02:20 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Hey Nick, I had some time today and decided to graph your UMIK's response. Without careful examination I had just assumed it was correctly done until I actually started looking at the below 20Hz data just now... Looking at the graph I'm convinced something is not right. Imagine if you'd extended that drop off down to 5Hz??? It'd probably be -38 dB if that slope holds!!!! Perhaps even lower than that if it doesn't!!!! Then if you look at the composite calibration file data from the first batch of UMIKs... even that's looking impossible but for the opposite reason, those are waaaay too flat to be off by only -3dB or less going down to 5Hz, its simply not believable. In fact if you account for that 'jag' in the freq response at 20Hz then it would appear all 188 UMIKs in the first batch fall into a +/- 2.5dB variance all the way down to 5Hz... that's so totally fake. So apparently none of the below 20Hz data for either batch is correct... what is going on

Apparently the UMIK uses the same Panasonic capsule as the ECM8000 but looking at the composite cal files from Cross Spectrum Labs for their calibrated ECM8000s only going down to 20Hz the variance is far greater yet those look more believable. In their example file for the ECM8000 posted on their website... it is down -6dB by 10Hz and down -13dB by 5 Hz... I assume they selected a middle-of-the-road cal file to use as their example cal file... if so, then none of these UMIK cal files bear any resemblance what-so-ever to the ECM8000, even accounting for differences in housing effects.

And then there is still that sensitivity factor mystery with high noise floors being reported, also those mystery 1kHz spikes (and overtones), etc...

Hey Monomer,

Sorry I missed this. Well, here I was thinking I may have been the lucky one.....Thanks for graphing that for me. Its been on my to-do list, but with a baby due in less than two months, its priority has been repeatedly usurped.

I also read the background post from the DevTeam. IMHO, you deserve a lot of credit for pushing the issue with MiniDSP. I think they may have addressed it eventually (I like to give people the benefit of the doubt), but I don't know if they would have either done so as quickly or posted the issue as clearly without your efforts. So, thank you again.

It'll be interesting to see what our "final" calibration files will look like, assuming the issue is correctable. I think if they correct their reference mic/script then it should be doable without anything other than just posting up the cal files. At least, I hope that is the case. I'll be ticked off if the solution for my "calibrated" mic is to send it to another shop at my cost to get calibrated.
post #480 of 887 Old 04-09-13, 07:31 PM
Shackster

Here's what my calibration file looks like from the MiniDSP website. I just got my mic today.

AVR - Onkyo TX-SR709
Amp - Rotel 985 Mkii
Speakers:
Center - Energy RC-LCR
Sub - SVS PB-12NSD