MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 49 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #481 of 887 Old 04-10-13, 06:58 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

They must be confident they can still send out mics with data that may not be accurate and fix later, this must be good news.

If they couldn't they would stop shipping/purchases of these mics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 887 Old 04-10-13, 09:58 PM
Shackster

I don't think that is a sound assumption.

AVR - Onkyo TX-SR709
Amp - Rotel 985 Mkii
Speakers:
Fronts - Aperion Verus Grand Towers
Center - Energy RC-LCR
Sub - SVS PB-12NSD
Surrounds - Energy CR-10 x4
post #483 of 887 Old 04-11-13, 04:41 PM
Shackster
Alex

I posted over at AVS, but I'll say it here as well. If you ordered one of the original mics and still have your cal file, for the love of whatever don't lose it. I just clicked on the link in one of the e-mails they sent me way back when for the cal file to one of my UMIK's and the cal file is completely different. Every value for every frequency is different and the newer cal file is only rated down to 20hz where the old one was good down to 4.6hz. I have no idea why the old cal files got changed as well.

Philharmonic 3, Custom Center (Jordan Watts Module), Source Technology RC4/8.3, EMP E41B, Jeff Bagby Mandolin, CSS SDX10 Custom Sub (Baby Boomer), Custom LMS Ultra Dual Opposed, Custom 18" Pierce Audio Sub
post #484 of 887 Old 04-11-13, 05:36 PM
Shackster

Quote:
fuzz092888 wrote: View Post
I posted over at AVS, but I'll say it here as well. If you ordered one of the original mics and still have your cal file, for the love of whatever don't lose it. I just clicked on the link in one of the e-mails they sent me way back when for the cal file to one of my UMIK's and the cal file is completely different. Every value for every frequency is different and the newer cal file is only rated down to 20hz where the old one was good down to 4.6hz. I have no idea why the old cal files got changed as well.
I tried asking about the first batch over on the minidsp forums but never got a reply. It definitely appears that the first batch original data was correct. Not sure why they changed it. New data is completely different.
post #485 of 887 Old 04-11-13, 05:42 PM
Shackster
Alex

Quote:
Mattcc22 wrote: View Post
I tried asking about the first batch over on the minidsp forums but never got a reply. It definitely appears that the first batch original data was correct. Not sure why they changed it. New data is completely different.
I have two mics from the first batch and the cal files rocked. I have measurements of a pair of my towers taken quasi-anchoic by the designer and I compared the quasi measurements I took with the UMIK against those and they were very very close. I'm a little afraid to download the new file and see how much different it really is.

Philharmonic 3, Custom Center (Jordan Watts Module), Source Technology RC4/8.3, EMP E41B, Jeff Bagby Mandolin, CSS SDX10 Custom Sub (Baby Boomer), Custom LMS Ultra Dual Opposed, Custom 18" Pierce Audio Sub
post #486 of 887 Old 04-11-13, 07:06 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

It would be best to pose your questions over on miniDSP's help forum where you may stand a chance of getting an official response (though no telling exactly when that would be).

The initial cal files released for the second batch of UMIKs were determined (it was obvious actually) to be bogus and a new set of files were generated, I believe it was at this time that the first batch cal files were changed . It was stated by the DevTeam that below 20Hz data was considered not to be reliable by the mic supplier and thus was the reason the new files stopped at 20Hz... miniDSP also then changed the specs for the UMIK to 20-20kHz +/- .5dB... apparently this applies to the first batch of UMIKs as well because they limited those files also. It was also stated that the calibration methodology was somehow improved over the original but no details were ever given, only that it was now better and so they apparently applied to the first batch cal files as well. After some badgering by a few of us over on their help forum, they released new cal files for the second batch UMIKs with data down to 10Hz, however turns out it too is bogus (also very obviously incorrect, especially when compared to the earlier released cal files) so... they've now admitted to having cal file issues that are currently being worked on and that is where it stands as of right now.

This saga has been ongoing for over 2 months now and still hasn't been resolved... miniDSP puts the blame squarely on their mic supplier but is taking some of the responsibility since they forced the manufacturer to change incorrect calibration procedures and that in turn has apparently cause much of these changing files over the last two months. You should visit their UMIK help forum and read up on the last 4 or so threads to get a sense of what's been transpiring lately with the second batch UMIKs because I believe it holds the answers that you're seeking to explain what's gone on with the first batch files.

I'm glad you believe those first cal files were correct because I, personally am not sure of anything at this point, including the accuracy of the first batch files. In fact, I've concluded that the data below 20Hz cannot possibly be correct on those first batch files but hey, if you're completely satisfied with it, then that's all that counts.

Then there's the whole thing about sensitivity... but that's a topic on another bunch of active threads going on over there... sigh.

Last edited by monomer; 04-12-13 at 03:53 PM.
post #487 of 887 Old 04-11-13, 07:41 PM
Shackster
Alex

I can believe they may have fixed something to do with the sensitivity since that seems to be off with the first batch of cal files, but the correction down below 20 seems decent. I compared both UMIK's against my calibrated Behringer ECM and it looked pretty close. I should probably try the new cal file and see how it rates comparatively.

post #488 of 887 Old 04-11-13, 07:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
quasi -anchoic measurements I took with the UMIK

How did you do this if you don't mind me asking?

What was the procedure?

Thanks in advance
post #489 of 887 Old 04-11-13, 07:46 PM
Shackster
Alex

To take a quasi anechoic measurement you get a mic stand or something of that nature and aim it at the tweeter of the speaker you are measuring. Usually about 1M from the speaker, but it should really be at the distance where all the drivers sum. I used REW and ran a basic measurement from 300hz-21000hz at the shortest time span. Doing all of this should keep the measurement relatively free of room reflections and therefore give you a quasi anechoicish measurement.

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
How did you do this if you don't mind me asking?

What was the procedure?

Thanks in advance

post #490 of 887 Old 04-11-13, 08:21 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
shortest time span

Thank you

Where can i find "shortest time span".

How can i find the sum of all drivers?

Thanks again