MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 53 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #521 of 887 Old 04-14-13, 10:25 PM
Shackster
Alex

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
First batch UMIKs end at the serial #188 and second batch UMIKs are serial #190-539... there is no serial #189 appears third batch is serial #540-???

I suspect the biggest difference you'll find between files in the first batch is below 20Hz response. With the second batch it is any thing below 990Hz and basically gets worse the lower you measure.
I've only tested one of the two I have so far, although it appears both are from batch one. From what I'm looking at there is only a slight difference in the lower octaves. The old cal file seems to bring the response down a bit.

Philharmonic 3, Custom Center (Jordan Watts Module), Source Technology RC4/8.3, EMP E41B, Jeff Bagby Mandolin, CSS SDX10 Custom Sub (Baby Boomer), Custom LMS Ultra Dual Opposed, Custom 18" Pierce Audio Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #522 of 887 Old 04-15-13, 04:05 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

There must be some confusion here... I'm not sure which two files you are referring to. Your old file should have gone down to 5Hz, whereas the new file that replaced it only goes down to 20Hz. Both files you've plotted above appear to go down to 10Hz. What's the serial numbers on your UMIKs?

The second batch UMIKs have a wicked climb to like 4dBs or so above the older calibration and then plummets to absurd levels by 10Hz... where the old files just ended at 20Hz. Its at the point now where even if they suddenly decided to change the calibration files this time to something that looked reasonable I couldn't bring myself to trust it wasn't just some shenanigans. If they could have generated a good file honestly don't you think they would have done so by now?... after all they did it for the third batch UMIKs, so why not with the second batch using the same script. I think these second batch UMIKs need to have the reworked board assembled into the mic housing first and THEN measured on the factory floor (same rig as the third batch UMIKs)... until that happens I won't believe any new files that just magically turn up with yet another explanation of how its fixed. I paid for my UMIK back in January and so that make it now 2 and half months and three calibration files and numerous postings later and still I have not gotten what was being promised back when I paid for it. Yet they have the nerve to make and be shipping out third batch UMIKs without mentioning to us. By doing a serial # count there are 350 of us second batch UMIK owners who are getting taken advantage of... I can't believe there isn't more outrage being shown.... what? is it cognitive dissonance?

Last edited by monomer; 04-15-13 at 09:52 AM.
post #523 of 887 Old 04-15-13, 12:39 PM
Shackster
Alex

This was done with a first batch UMIK, serial number 024. The green line is with the original cal file ending at 4.6hz and the yellow or gold line is with the newer cal file which ends at 20.3 I believe.

I haven't tested the old cal file vs new cal file on my other UMIK, serial number 145 yet.

The above measurement was of a subwoofer, 1m away, no smoothing.

Philharmonic 3, Custom Center (Jordan Watts Module), Source Technology RC4/8.3, EMP E41B, Jeff Bagby Mandolin, CSS SDX10 Custom Sub (Baby Boomer), Custom LMS Ultra Dual Opposed, Custom 18" Pierce Audio Sub
post #524 of 887 Old 04-15-13, 12:49 PM
Shackster

My System
Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post

First batch UMIKs end at the serial #188 and second batch UMIKs are serial #190-539... there is no serial #189 appears third batch is serial #540-???
They must have grabbed #189 from the top of the stack as the "reference mic". I'm certainly glad I went with the UMM-6 from CSL

Last edited by watson b; 04-15-13 at 06:52 PM.
post #525 of 887 Old 04-15-13, 05:39 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
I paid for my UMIK back in January and so that make it now 2 and half months and three calibration files and numerous postings later and still I have not gotten what was being promised back when I paid for it. Yet they have the nerve to make and be shipping out third batch UMIKs without mentioning to us.

It has been 2.5 months, so why aren't they sending the third batch to replace the problem second batch mics? Didn't you ask this from them?

I see that Herb has received several UMIKs, saw on a thread.
So some people have sent and known of the problems which is good news.
post #526 of 887 Old 04-16-13, 02:55 AM
miniDSP Director
miniDSP

Dear All,

As mentioned above in my last email few weeks ago, I very rarely go on forums due to time constraints. Sonnie just mentioned that I should follow up what's going on here so just had a quick look today. The following announcement is actually a post which has been in preparation for some quite some time now (see the length..) It summarizes issues discovered over time and the best way to deal with them if you're affected. Hoping this answers most of your questions.
http://www.minidsp.com/forum/18-umik...-umik-1-update

As a general note, please consider miniDSP forum as a the official channel for communicating with us. Our team receives a lot of daily request (emails/forums)and we're happy to answer all of them. However we're unfortunately unable to also allocate resources for all forums.

So if you have a question/concern, feel free to send it our way as our team is happy to help clarify potential misunderstandings/misinterpretations.

Best Regards
Tony
post #527 of 887 Old 04-16-13, 05:45 AM

//Birdie

Last edited by Birdie; 04-16-13 at 06:55 AM.
post #528 of 887 Old 04-18-13, 11:38 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
fuzz092888 wrote: View Post
This was done with a first batch UMIK, serial number 024. The green line is with the original cal file ending at 4.6hz and the yellow or gold line is with the newer cal file which ends at 20.3 I believe.

I haven't tested the old cal file vs new cal file on my other UMIK, serial number 145 yet.

The above measurement was of a subwoofer, 1m away, no smoothing.
Ah yes, I get it now. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.

I've really been extremely busy this week and so haven't had time to post much.

Choice in scaling can make a big difference in the appearance of things on a graph so one needs to concentrate on the actual numbers when viewing graphs. Most REW graphs tend to use a 45dB to 105dB scale covering a 60dB span... just makes it a little easier to decipher the differences. Looking up your current file for #700-0024 it would appear your UMIK is down 4dB at 20Hz and will default to 0dB for anything below 20Hz... since I don't have access to your old file I'll have to use the graph to ascertain those values (however you obviously still have the old file). From your graph it would appear it was about -3 down at 10Hz since it can clearly be seen that your new file is 3dB above the old file. If you look at the CSL composite (which only displays to 20Hz) you'll see the majority of those mics being -3 to -4dB down at 20Hz... these are most common values for the ECM8000 on that composite graph. Now if one is to go by the example calibration file on the CSL website and assume they selected a 'typical' ECM8000 response to use as their example then at 10Hz down -6 to -7dB would be quite normal. That would be 3dB down from your old calibration file and 6 to 7 dB down from the new calibration file. But the difference grows exponentially if you now go down to 5Hz... the first batch UMIK composite show the responses get no worse while the CSL has response dropping to around -13dB down at 5Hz, so... Which seems more reasonable to you? I tend to believe the CSL calibration trend which would make a 10dB difference from your old calibration file (if I go by the UMIK composite graph) and 13dB difference from your new calibration file at 5Hz which is defaulted (@0dB).

Realistically I'm guessing most of us do not have subs with 'useable' SPL available at 5Hz... more likely 10Hz is enough and for many of us 15Hz would suffice. So looking at your graph there is a 3 dB (possibly 4 dB) difference between your old and new calibration files and a 6 or 7dB difference between CSL sample file and your new file. Consider this... to get a 3dB increase you'll need a 10X increase in power... the difference between 100-watts and 1000-watts... or the addition of another identical sub. When one does such upgrades, it is noticeable... however that's now your "slop factor" between your old and new files. Now consider twice that to 6dBs if you believe the CSL sample is a typical, more believable calibration file for those Panasonic capsules.

I feel these UMIKs calibration files are pretty accurate for above 20Hz system measurement work but if you are interested in below 20Hz, because of the way these capsules appear to drop off below 30Hz, in my opinion, it is not trustworthy at all for below 20Hz measurements. With the second batch UMIK files, the new files are obviously bogus but looking at the differences between first batch new vs old files I can't tell you which would be the more accurate above 20Hz and that's the problem right now. Which do you trust? Can you really trust either of them? I don't know. If you are satisfied they are similar enough for your purposes then problem solved... take your pick and go with it.

Last edited by monomer; 04-21-13 at 11:47 AM.
post #529 of 887 Old 04-18-13, 11:49 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
watson b wrote: View Post
They must have grabbed #189 from the top of the stack as the "reference mic". I'm certainly glad I went with the UMM-6 from CSL
Yes, I believe you are right... once you pointed it out I can see how that really makes sense. Unfortunately that "Golden" mic was flawed according to the DevTeam explanation of what went wrong... sigh.
post #530 of 887 Old 04-18-13, 12:08 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post

It has been 2.5 months, so why aren't they sending the third batch to replace the problem second batch mics? Didn't you ask this from them?...
I've been trying to give them the benefit of the doubt all along and taking their word about earnest efforts being made to fix all the defects because I really wanted this UMIK to be a good purchase but after seeing that they'd been shipping third batch UMIKs with reasonable calibration files and revised sensitivity and no 1kHz spikes for a couple weeks and had yet to tell us second batch UMIK owners there was a fix, that just burned me and pushed me over the edge. I PMed them with an ultimatum back on Sunday. I demanded an exchange for a third batch UMIK or I'd start "second batch UMIK" threads on every audio forum I belong to, outlining all the issues concerning these UMIKs and what has transpired... and then I put a deadline on this 'threat' of Thursday (Wednesday Hong Kong time). Two days later (Tuesday) they respond with their current offer to accept returned UMIKs from the first two batches for a FULL refund. (This should also put minidsp's posting above into perspective, I'm referring to the part about their forum being the only "official channel for communication".)

As far as I'm concerned that is an acceptable offer and the honorable thing to do... for that I will applaud them. I actually would have accepted an exchange for a bonafided third batch UMIK. I realize I could still do that by returning my second batch UMIK for a full refund and then ordering another UMIK ...EXCEPT that I'm sure they will take these second batch UMIKs and replace the board at their facility, give them a new serial # and then resell them again without an expensive trip back to the factory for recalibration... I'm just afraid they will not send them back to the factory floor test rig to be recalibrate as a new completed assembly and thus the files will still be untrustworthy however with a new serial # no one would be the wiser. I do notice there has already been a few responses over there seeking an exchange to a third batch and I would assume they are getting many more emails in privately inquiring about doing the same thing. Personally I would be leery of any UMIK purchase once those older batch UMIKs begin flowing back into their facilities... it becomes a craps-shoot at that point as to which batch UMIK and file you'll actually be receiving. Also they have stated that all calibration will only go to 20Hz so I assume that will mean all files will get truncated to 20Hz. For those of us that are not willing to accept results that could be off by 6dBs or more below 20Hz, these UMIKs would have to then be professionally calibrated which would add another $60 or so to the cost.

In the end, I believe the best I can do at this point is to just return my UMIK for full refund and then purchase a UMM-6 (with 5Hz professional calibration file) from CSL... in hind sight, its what I should have done 2-1/2 months ago and I could have avoided all the drama, inconvenience and wasted time. This has been a very frustrating experience to say the least.

Last edited by monomer; 04-18-13 at 12:44 PM.