MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 54 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #531 of 887 Old 04-18-13, 01:15 PM
Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
purchase a UMM-6 (with 5Hz professional calibration file) from CSL...
I've been laying in the weeds monitoring how this would get resolved and with all the returns that would logically be going back and thus creating unidentified "refurb" mics in the not too distant future.. I think this lends itself for an easy decision - unfortunately, I think of those customers completely unaware of this situation... thanks for all your efforts and staying on top of it ~ it has been greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #532 of 887 Old 04-18-13, 02:25 PM
Shackster

I have a first batch Mic and while I know its probably better than the second batch I think I'm going to return it also and go with the CSL umm-6. They just can't seem to give any straight answers over there. I do love my miniDSP though!
post #533 of 887 Old 04-18-13, 04:37 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

I also applaud MiniDSP for "manning up" to their difficulties and accepting returns of the older UMIK-1 mics for full refund, as stated in the update on their forum. It is the right move, and a good start to restoring overall confidence in the brand.

Edit: The following post answers quite clearly any question about MiniDSP's intentions to dispose of the returned mics and not refurbish them. MiniDSP is doing all the right things to correct the UMIK-1 situation.

Last edited by AudiocRaver; 04-19-13 at 02:37 PM.
post #534 of 887 Old 04-18-13, 09:35 PM
miniDSP Director
miniDSP

@ monomer,

I appreciate that you're upset and you've been a bit of a "voice" of this thread, however there are some wordings and some misinterpretations that you're making on our company that I'd like to point out for the sake of communicating with the HTshack community. I've been blamed by some of you to not respond to this thread and being silent. Truth is much simpler, I don't have much time for forum readings these days and my team really uses the miniDSP forum as a way to communicate for all issues. If there is some issues/questions you'd like to raise, easiest is to contact miniDSP directly. We're more than happy to answer all inquiries as we've done since the company's inception. Thanks for your understanding.

1) The talks of product recalls have been made for quite a while. People in the know our board of advisors (including John @ REW), management team and the microphone supplier can tell you as much. For you to imply that we only responded to your threat is a bit of an overestimation I guess... It took long for a simple reason, because we were trying to see if we could work something out with our supplier. That's really ALL there is to read here I'm afraid.

2) We proposed complete refund, including all shipping cost. In other words, this story will not cost you a cent. I'm really not sure what else at this point we can do to help? Did you send you request for a refund yet? Your previous email mentioned that you wanted a new mic instead...

3) The statement that you're making that we're "refurbishing" microphone is so far of that it's quite offensive to our standards. For the past 4 years that this startup operates, we haven't shipped a SINGLE product that is refurbished. Not One. You're more than welcome to come for a visit if you'd like to see by yourself :-). The ONLY reason why we're asking the microphone body to be returned (in a padded envelope if you read the thread correctly so very much prone to damage in other words) is because we want the mics to not end up being resold in the field. I don't see how that's not standard practice for any manufacturers to ask a product to be returned? That's ALL there is to read here once again. Microphones will be trashed when returned as we don't wan't to pay for additional cost. Little to know for most of you is that this product runs with very low margins. We really did it to help the miniDSP and REW community get an affordable microphone. Anybody with a bit of math, electronic and manufacturing knowledge can do the math on the tiny profit we did here. Doing a "refurb" doesn't even make sense.

As always, we're happy to answer any questions you have but I'd appreciate if you would first try to please not misinterpret some facts and such as "UMIK-1 will refurbished". We're happy to tell you why that will not be the case, just ask..It's a bit counter-intuitive to get ask by HTshack moderators to get involved in this thread, yet when we read the comments and misinterpretations, it's hard to keep our cool...

That's all for today, wishing you all a good week end,

Best Regards
Tony
MD @ miniDSP
post #535 of 887 Old 04-19-13, 12:31 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

This matter has been settled for the most part with your offer of a full refund. I have not 'applied' for one just yet only because I've been quite busy this week. I teach for a living and we are winding up the semester, that is a time of increased work load for me. Suffice it to say I will send in my request this weekend but will not be able to actually go to the post office until Thursday next week. I am pleased you are offering a full refund to your customers as I believe it is the right thing to do. I had no idea you were planning this for a while now since you don't tell us these things, they just spring up seemingly out of nowhere. I believe it was mere coincidence that just so happened to follow my terse email to you... but you should be able to understand from my perspective of how this all looked. What you don't seem to grasp is the position you place your customers in when you don't respond regularly to emails and postings in your own help forums. What else are we to do? You have our money, there are major issues with the product you sent to us... we waited patiently so long that any recourse of dispute through the credit card company or paypal has since expired... you've basically got us over a barrel. We are out the money and didn't get what we paid for and can't get anyone to respond... surely you can see how frustrating that is. All that's left at our disposal is to make some noise on the Internet. To find out that you've been shipping what seems to be properly working UMIKs (at least 100 of them so far) without addressing the defective ones we have been forced to hang on to doesn't sit well with me and I had to do something, thus I sent you that threatening email with a deadline and it just so happens that was exactly before you released the resolution options publicly. You can see how that looks don't you? and why I misinterpreted it to mean I forced your hand. My mistake as you apparently had already planned to do this. I apologize.

During this whole issue with these second batch UMIKs I chose to use postings both here and on your UMIK help forum to make you aware of the problems and in seeking answers... only three times have I resorted to direct emails. The first email was only paritally answered (having to do with below 20Hz response) the other question about a return wasn't address by you at all. The second email went unanswered. The final email, the one I sent Sunday, I got a reply directing me to your just released announcement of a refund option. And for that I thank you.

We are all busy people and have jobs to do but in your case answering your customers in a timely fashion IS your job... or I think at least it should be viewed as such. If you see it the same way, then there really are no excuses... and failing to do so can lead to misunderstandings... so who is to blame if that turns out to be the case? your customers?

I specifically added a section entitled "My Thoughts" to that posting over on your help forum seeking to find out if it was your intention to 'recycle' the UMIKs you receive... do you remember your response? did you deny it then? did you make your intentions for those UMIKs known? This is what I'm talking about... only after the fact, when you are forced into a corner do you offer up information that your customers would like to know and need in order to make decisions. I apologize since recycling those UMIKs was apparently not your intention after all but I did make the effort to find out first. So what you are saying is first and second batch customers could get a full refund on their returned UMIKs and then place an order for another UMIK and receive a properly calibrated third batch UMIK guaranteed? If so, then why didn't you simply offer to cross-ship an exchange in the first place? ...remember? this was what I asked for. Its very confusing... so if I make statements that you don't agree with then you need to respond with a correction when I ask the question otherwise what else am I to think?

I don't wish for this discourse to go on any further as it can only harm any working relationships you might have with sponsors etc and that was never my intention... I only wanted a properly calibrated and working UMIK within a reasonable amount of time. I'm very sorry it had to turn into all of this unpleasantness and the kicker is I'll never know if I was responsible for speeding up the process or not. The only thing any of us have to go by is what you tell us... when you decide to tell us that is. If you wish to continue this conversation, let's agree to do it through the PM system or through email... you've got my address. Now that there is a resolution recourse we should be able to put this all behind and move forward.

Last edited by monomer; 04-19-13 at 12:54 AM.
post #536 of 887 Old 04-19-13, 01:03 AM
miniDSP Director
miniDSP

Greg,

I guess that it seems like we won't be able to answer all your needs no matter how we try. We're sorry about this...

Sometimes we don't answer to all details raised in a thread, that's very possible.... Some of the people answering our forum just don't know how we plan to manage the company, future of product recall. My post above just wanted to clarify that we never planned to recycle any boards and never made that assumption. That's all there is to read as we're not being "cornered" and changing our mind... Not sure how you're thinking we're that evil! I can treat you for a beer at a next tradeshow if you'd like to see that we're not out to get you!!

Anyway, as you mention, I indeed believe that it's best that we close the issue. Email us when you get a chance and we'll proceed to the complete refund as promised.

Have a good week end,

Tony
post #537 of 887 Old 04-19-13, 02:30 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
I appreciate that you're upset and you've been a bit of a "voice" of this thread, however there are some wordings and some misinterpretations that you're making on our company that I'd like to point out for the sake of communicating with the HTshack community. I've been blamed by some of you to not respond to this thread and being silent. Truth is much simpler, I don't have much time for forum readings these days and my team really uses the miniDSP forum as a way to communicate for all issues. If there is some issues/questions you'd like to raise, easiest is to contact miniDSP directly. We're more than happy to answer all inquiries as we've done since the company's inception. Thanks for your understanding.
As a business probally would make sense to make time and understand/learn customer/service needs?

Last edited by Phillips; 04-19-13 at 08:01 PM.
post #538 of 887 Old 04-24-13, 08:57 PM
Shackster
Roy

My System

I just received my refund for the UMIK-1. I'm VERY satisfied with the customer support for the recall and will probably do business with this company in the future.
post #539 of 887 Old 04-25-13, 02:35 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
rajacat wrote: View Post
I just received my refund for the UMIK-1. I'm VERY satisfied with the customer support for the recall and will probably do business with this company in the future.
Okay, so how did you get it over to them? I just got back from our local post office. They said it would cost $25 to ship it by registered mail!!! $12.50 to ship it to Hong Kong from Michigan and ANOTHER $12.50 to send it registered!!! Then they also tell me it can't be send by registered mail in a padded envelope, must be in a cardboard box!! this apparently is USPS rules on sending registered packages. Since miniDSP is asking for it to be send registered and in a padded envelope and the shipping cost to be less than $20, I'm stymied. How were you able to meet their requirements for the return? What's the secret?
post #540 of 887 Old 04-25-13, 02:44 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Okay, NOW I think I know what the deal is...

This is from their website:
c) In an effort to prevent a faulty microphone to stay in the field, the old microphone body (not accessories) must be shipped back to us before the refund is processed. It must be send via standard registered airmail (e.g. USPS, AirMail) in a padded envelope. You should take a picture of the receipt for the postage cost (used for refund). In some countries, cost of shipping will not make sense (e.g. higher than 20USD). We ask you to contact us in that case.

This is from their email:
STEP2: Ship the microphone back to us using standard AirMail. In a padded enveloppe, using the local post (E.g. USPS), the shipment cost should be cost effective knowing that the microphone is less than 200gm weight. If the cost is higher than 20USD, please get in touch with us since we it will not make financial sense to get the microphone back. We will provide steps to discard the microphone.

Upon closer inspection I now notice there's been a change from what's on the website and what's in the email they sent me... I bolded the difference. Apparently they have dropped the requirement of sending it as a registered package. So... I'm off on another trip back to the post office... wish me luck.

Last edited by monomer; 04-25-13 at 08:43 PM.