MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 55 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #541 of 887 Old 04-25-13, 02:24 PM
Shackster
Roy

My System
Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Yes, it's not necessary to send it registered airmail. It's funny but they credited my paypal account just a day after I sent it back. I emailed them a photo of the shipping receipt and followed their direction completely. I was very surprised to get my refund before the package could have been delivered. The shipping charge was about $15.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 887 Old 04-25-13, 02:30 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
rajacat wrote: View Post
Yes, it's not necessary to send it registered airmail. It's funny but they credited my paypal account just a day after I sent it back. I emailed them a photo of the shipping receipt and followed their direction completely. I was very surprised to get my refund before the package could have been delivered. The shipping charge was about $15.
Thanks for the feedback. I just got back from the Post Office... its now in the mail, on its way to Hong Kong. The desk clerk estimated it would take 6-10 days to get there but you know the Post Office, there are no guarantees. Cost was $1.49 for the padded envelope and $12.75 for the shipping, I stuck copies of the receipts in the envelope with the UMIK and just now sent them an email with the attached scanned copies of the receipts... it sounds redundant but its what they are requesting... I will post back here the moment I get confirmation of a refund into my PayPal account.

Last edited by monomer; 04-25-13 at 08:00 PM.
post #543 of 887 Old 04-25-13, 04:14 PM
Shackster
Nid

My System
That's sounds like good service to me..what we as consumers have to understand is that there is a lot of effort going on in the background that we are completely unaware of, and many companies simply don't have the time of manpower to update us every step of the way..it's tougher than it looks from our perspective.

I will likely send my mic back, and order a 3rd generation mic if that's a viable option..I haven't had time to email MiniDSP to find out, but it's on the list.

Finally, a set of front speakers that I plan to keep! Now I understand what the fuss is all about..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #544 of 887 Old 04-25-13, 04:34 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I have one of the first generation UMIK-1's with the original calibration file and it to the best of my knowledge has worked OK. Are they asking for all the UMIK's back for a refund or only the second generation?

BeeMan458 wrote:

It's easier for you to prove I'm crazy than it is for me to prove I'm not.
post #545 of 887 Old 04-25-13, 07:49 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
...Are they asking for all the UMIK's back for a refund or only the second generation?
This is not a recall... they are not asking for returns of UMIKs. If you are satisfied with your UMIK's performance then do nothing. What they are offering is an option to return your UMIK for a refund if you are not satisfied with its performance... there is another option for those with a "noisy" UMIK, you can alternatively choose to receive an upgraded board that you simply solder in replacing the original board. This is for first batch and second batch UMIKs as third batch UMIKs already have the revised board design. Again this is NOT a recall, if you are satisfied with your UMIK then you do nothing. These measures were implemented to satisfy those of us who've had an issue.

Last edited by monomer; 04-25-13 at 07:56 PM.
post #546 of 887 Old 04-25-13, 08:56 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I have never measured my downstairs system which has a sub with variable tuning from 18hz to 35hz so I thought this would be a good place to check the accuracy of my UMIK-1. Turns out it does not make much of a difference at all, the UMIK is not measuring correctly down low, my SMS-1 is picking up the different tuning points though. Now I know that my friends Omni-mic was the one that was more accurate when we were comparing, I thought my UMIK-1 was because of the 5hz calibration.

I have went ahead and contacted MiniDSP for a return.......blahhhh

BeeMan458 wrote:

It's easier for you to prove I'm crazy than it is for me to prove I'm not.
post #547 of 887 Old 04-26-13, 08:48 AM
Senior Shackster
monomer

I've been made "whole" again... just been notified of a full refund back into my Paypal account. Thank you, miniDSP.

Note: I do own a miniDSP and love it.
post #548 of 887 Old 04-26-13, 07:17 PM
Elite Shackster

monomer i think that everyone on this thread has you to thank for this problem solving, communication from MiniDSP would have been non existent if not for you as far as i could see.
post #549 of 887 Old 04-27-13, 07:45 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Indeed, thanks is in order to all who made contributions of their time and energy getting to a full understanding of the issues and communicating with MiniDSP. And appreciation to MiniDSP for going all out to be sure all UMIK-1 users are satisfied. Hopefully this ends up a happy ending (win-win) for all concerned.
post #550 of 887 Old 05-06-13, 07:38 PM
Shackster

I forgot to add this after I received my UMIK from CSL but better late than never. Here are the two cal files overlaid. The dark line is CSL (0 degree narrow band) and the light one is Mini DSP.

AVR - Onkyo TX-SR709
Amp - Rotel 985 Mkii
Speakers:
Fronts - Aperion Verus Grand Towers
Center - Energy RC-LCR
Sub - SVS PB-12NSD
Surrounds - Energy CR-10 x4