MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #51 of 887 Old 12-14-12, 04:39 PM
Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Thanks will give it a try.

Regards Cazzesman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 887 Old 12-16-12, 08:00 AM

My System

Just made my order; hope it arrives soon. From what I have read, this should be what I need, to be able to see the difference audyssey is making with the sound.
post #53 of 887 Old 12-16-12, 03:54 PM
Shackster
Alex

Just as an update, I'm still trying to work with miniDSP on my broken box. They take between 2-3 days to respond to e-mails, although I'm on day 2 since I last e-mailed them and don't have much hope for tomorrow. I really don't think this process should have taken this long, nor do I think Parts Express would have strung me along for a week if I had an issue.

To be fair, miniDSP customer service has always been pleasant and has never rejected my request for a new box or a new mic, but they don't really seem to be answering my questions definitively which then necessitates another e-mail and another wait, then another e-mail and another wait etc etc. I feel as though if I had bought a dayton mic, had this problem, and contacted parts express it would have been worked out in a day or two and I'd probably have a new mic by now.

Thinking about picking up the Dayton mic at this point and just shipping the miniDSP UMIK back.

Philharmonic 3, Custom Center (Jordan Watts Module), Source Technology RC4/8.3, EMP E41B, Jeff Bagby Mandolin, CSS SDX10 Custom Sub (Baby Boomer), Custom LMS Ultra Dual Opposed, Custom 18" Pierce Audio Sub
post #54 of 887 Old 12-16-12, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

I wouldn't let a cracked box cause me to send a good mic back. I believe you will eventually get a good box.

Even when I was dealing with Tony on sponsorship we were several days between emails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #55 of 887 Old 12-16-12, 05:15 PM
Elite Shackster

I think that good communication is a key to good business
post #56 of 887 Old 12-16-12, 05:15 PM
Shackster
Alex

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I wouldn't let a cracked box cause me to send a good mic back. I believe you will eventually get a good box.

Even when I was dealing with Tony on sponsorship we were several days between emails.
It's not the cracked box that would give me cause to send it back, it's the lack of protocols and the accompanying somewhat vague answers. I don't see the Dayton as an inferior mic, at least right now, and I know how good the customer service is at parts express since I've dealt with them several times.

However, so far, in dealing with miniDSP I explained my broken box problem, said I would like a replacement box because I plan to take this mic with me and need a functioning travel box. I also explained that the mic was not firmly planted in the box when it arrived due to the clasp breaking and the box opening and asked if there could be any potential problems due the the increased jostling it received.

I got a response a few days later saying it would cost the same to ship a new box or new box and mic and that it would be easiest to ship a new mic. I said that was fine, but asked how they would reimburse the cost of shipping the old mic back, (they said they would do so) and if they wouldn't ship the new mic until they had received the old one back since that wasn't made clear.

I then got a somewhat contradictory e-mail back saying that if I was having technical issues with the mic they would ship me a new one, otherwise they'd be shipping me a new box Monday. I explained that I was having a few connection issues and asked if the rolloff in the upper frequencies was normal and have yet to hear back.

Based on my past experiences with parts express the first response I would have gotten back would read something like, Sorry to hear you had trouble here's a return label to ship us back the broken one and we'll ship you out a new one.

That's what I'm looking for in terms of customer service. I don't think miniDSP has bad customer service, I'm just not experiencing the clarity and decisiveness I'm used to. What I wished miniDSP had said was either "we're sending you a new box" or "here's a return label we'll ship your new mic out immediately/when we receive the old one" Pretty simply stuff IMHO.

Philharmonic 3, Custom Center (Jordan Watts Module), Source Technology RC4/8.3, EMP E41B, Jeff Bagby Mandolin, CSS SDX10 Custom Sub (Baby Boomer), Custom LMS Ultra Dual Opposed, Custom 18" Pierce Audio Sub
post #57 of 887 Old 12-16-12, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

I thought you posted several comparisons with your Behringer mic and they were similar in response... so are there new response issues you are having?

I definitely would not take a chance... and if you are happy with the Dayton mic and not happy with the customer service of miniDSP, send their mic back and get a refund. You had an unfortunate situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #58 of 887 Old 12-16-12, 05:53 PM
HTS Reviewer

Mine arrived yesterday with no apparent damage to the case or contents. I have yet to try it but hope to do so this week.

post #59 of 887 Old 12-16-12, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Yeah... my package was fine, but also have not tested the mic yet. I want to compare it with my IBF and ECM.

Hopefully Alex's issue is the exception and Tony can get the customer service worked out. I think this is part of their expanding/growing pangs, as I have not heard of any customer service issues with their main line product. I was rather impressed with the order process and it arriving from Hong Kong in 5 days.

post #60 of 887 Old 12-17-12, 02:32 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I think I am going to pick up one of these but after the holidays as things are too hectic right now.

I also am hoping to see if most are using there laptops internal sound card with success out of the headphone outs. Being able to just plug in the mic and run the test tones from the internal sound card would be the ultimate so I have my fingers crossed.

I am really looking forward to running the new REW that was just released yesterday.