MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 60 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #591 of 887 Old 05-19-13, 11:34 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
I don't for my other mic.

I would email or post Herb, depends if he used it when he calibrated it. I would doubt that he would off.
I don't use the windscreen when making the measurements. It basically makes a roughly 0.5 to 1 dB difference above 15 kHz or so:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #592 of 887 Old 05-21-13, 12:30 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
I don't for my other mic.

I would email or post Herb, depends if he used it when he calibrated it. I would doubt that he would off.
Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
I don't use the windscreen when making the measurements. It basically makes a roughly 0.5 to 1 dB difference above 15 kHz or so:

Thank you for the info, good to know that.

Herb, thanks for the mic and your cal. service!
post #593 of 887 Old 05-21-13, 11:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post

The purpose of windscreen, other than protection?
post #594 of 887 Old 05-22-13, 12:54 AM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
Ostensibly to reduce turbulence-induced noise if the mic is used in windy conditions. However, it's so small I doubt it would offer any real protection (although I haven't tested it).
post #595 of 887 Old 05-23-13, 02:09 PM
Senior Shackster
monomer

I kinda thought it was also to reduce breathing noises from humans that are speaking/singing directly into the mic... which is also turbulence related.
post #596 of 887 Old 05-23-13, 08:16 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
monomer wrote: View Post
I kinda thought it was also to reduce breathing noises from humans that are speaking/singing directly into the mic... which is also turbulence related.
For vocal mics (which the UMM-6/UMIK-1/EMM-6/ECM8000 are definitely not) true, although again, the one that comes with these low-cost measurement mics are so small I doubt they would provide any benefit.
post #597 of 887 Old 05-24-13, 04:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

I am really disappointed I ordered mine from miniDSP and not CSL ( was before they sold them). After my order was placed I contacted CSL and found out they were going to provide calibrated UMIK-1, what a bummer. It's not cost effective to send mine in for a calibration at $55.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #598 of 887 Old 05-24-13, 05:32 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
Protection is the only reason. The mic is certainly calibrated without windscreen in place. With a calibration mic, breath noise is not an issue, and wind noise is not an issue unless making speaker measurements outside to escape room effects.

I would leave it on, though, for a little extra protection from dust and gunk, and from me accidentally bumping or dropping it on a klutzy day. The minor rolloff above 10 KHz is annoying but of little actual consequence. My 2 cents worth.
post #599 of 887 Old 05-24-13, 07:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Protection is the only reason. The mic is certainly calibrated without windscreen in place. With a calibration mic, breath noise is not an issue, and wind noise is not an issue unless making speaker measurements outside to escape room effects.

I would leave it on, though, for a little extra protection from dust and gunk, and from me accidentally bumping or dropping it on a klutzy day. The minor rolloff above 10 KHz is annoying but of little actual consequence. My 2 cents worth.
Agree

Probably a good idea would be to take measurements with on and off and see the difference with your individual mic and keep that in mind for future measurements.

Depending on measurement frequency targets e.g. 15 - 500hz use the windscreen vs 500 - 20.000hz remove the windscreen.
post #600 of 887 Old 05-24-13, 08:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Mightywetfoot wrote: View Post
I am really disappointed I ordered mine from miniDSP and not CSL ( was before they sold them). After my order was placed I contacted CSL and found out they were going to provide calibrated UMIK-1, what a bummer. It's not cost effective to send mine in for a calibration at $55.
Depends what batch you have.

Maybe you can send back to MiniDSP if the deal hasn't expired?

If it has i would email them and explain you were not aware of the problem until now etc, plead your case carefully.
Worth a go.