MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 63 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #621 of 887 Old 05-29-13, 09:45 PM
Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

OK, I understand. Summarizing. So I will skip that step (calibration of the soundcard). I need to get my (new) UMIK mike's sensitivity from the miniDSP website and add that into the CSL calibration file instead of calibrating the SPL level separately. Then input the updated CSL calibration file into REW. That's it. I read one thread saying a notebook/laptop headphone output can be used. So all I need is the notebook/laptop, REW, my new UMIK mike and I am all set.

Hope the summary above is correct. Thanks for the help.

I will be checking the response of both my hifi system plus those of my friends once I get the mike. Depending on my friend's feedback, I will post the findings on HTS for anyone who might be interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #622 of 887 Old 05-29-13, 10:07 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
WongKN wrote: View Post
OK, I understand. Summarizing. So I will skip that step (calibration of the soundcard). I need to get my (new) UMIK mike's sensitivity from the miniDSP website and add that into the CSL calibration file instead of calibrating the SPL level separately. Then input the updated CSL calibration file into REW. That's it. I read one thread saying a notebook/laptop headphone output can be used. So all I need is the notebook/laptop, REW, my new UMIK mike and I am all set.

Hope the summary above is correct. Thanks for the help.

I will be checking the response of both my hifi system plus those of my friends once I get the mike. Depending on my friend's feedback, I will post the findings on HTS for anyone who might be interested.
REW will ask for the Calibration file when you start the program with the UMIK plugged in.

Yes add the Sensitivity info, but also double check with a SPL meter to confirm/check, probably will be a little difference.

You will need a splitter at the receiver/amp.
post #623 of 887 Old 05-29-13, 10:35 PM
Shackster

Thanks for the tip to double-check with an SPL meter. Will do that.

Connection of REW and the XTZ seems to be nearly identical. Would be interesting to compare the results of XTZ versus REW. My reason for going to REW is its much greater versatility - XTZ doesn't give adjustable response curve averaging for e.g. only 3 pre-selected curve for 'anechoic', 'ambient', and actual measured 'raw' data.

post #624 of 887 Old 05-29-13, 10:48 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Thanks for the tip to double-check with an SPL meter. Will do that.

Connection of REW and the XTZ seems to be nearly identical. Would be interesting to compare the results of XTZ versus REW. My reason for going to REW is its much greater versatility - XTZ doesn't give adjustable response curve averaging for e.g. only 3 pre-selected curve for 'anechoic', 'ambient', and actual measured 'raw' data.
With the XTZ do you have the new (separate pre/soundcard & normal looking mic) or old mic?
post #625 of 887 Old 05-29-13, 11:09 PM
Shackster

There are two versions of the XTZ Room Analyzer kit.

The basic one comes with a mike with an attached 'base' with a USB connector. This base contains the ADC for the mike plus the soundcard to generate the test signal. I.e. other than plugging the mike into a USB port on my computer, there is no other connection to the computer. The output test signal is taken from the (single, mono) RCA plug on the mike attachment. So a mono-stereo adaptor or the Y-splitter is needed to connect to the preamp/receiver.

The XTZ 'Pro' comes with a 'professional' XLR mike, much like the Behringer ECM-8000 (actually I suspect it is the ECM-8000). That one comes with a separate module which has XLR connectors to plug the mike into. The module has a USB cable to plug into the computer. And again the output test signal is taken from a separate mono RCA connector on the module meaning the Y-splitter is again needed.

The same control software can be used for both basic and pro version of the XTZ. It is a nice nifty kit, especially for people who doesn't know computers much and wants a no-hassle, 'plug and play' kind of kit. Just download the software from the XTZ website, go through a standard Windows install process, start up the software, plug in the mike/module and one is good to go. But as I work in the I/T line, the simplicity doesn't make a difference to me. I got my kit a couple of years ago when USB mikes like the miniDSP UMIK are not popular yet. At that time, I already had REW downloaded but the need to hunt for a preamp mike with phantom power and an external soundcard was a bit of a hassle. So when someone has a used XTZ Room Analyzer kit for sale at a relatively cheap price, I just bought it.

Now that we have professionally calibrate USB mikes, and I have a need for better analysis of the test data, I have decided to upgrade to REW. Features wise, the XTZ control software contains maybe 60% the functionality of REW but I will know more when my UMIK comes and I start to use REW.
post #626 of 887 Old 05-30-13, 03:24 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
There are two versions of the XTZ Room Analyzer kit.

The basic one comes with a mike with an attached 'base' with a USB connector. This base contains the ADC for the mike plus the soundcard to generate the test signal. I.e. other than plugging the mike into a USB port on my computer, there is no other connection to the computer. The output test signal is taken from the (single, mono) RCA plug on the mike attachment. So a mono-stereo adaptor or the Y-splitter is needed to connect to the preamp/receiver.

The XTZ 'Pro' comes with a 'professional' XLR mike, much like the Behringer ECM-8000 (actually I suspect it is the ECM-8000). That one comes with a separate module which has XLR connectors to plug the mike into. The module has a USB cable to plug into the computer. And again the output test signal is taken from a separate mono RCA connector on the module meaning the Y-splitter is again needed.

The same control software can be used for both basic and pro version of the XTZ. It is a nice nifty kit, especially for people who doesn't know computers much and wants a no-hassle, 'plug and play' kind of kit. Just download the software from the XTZ website, go through a standard Windows install process, start up the software, plug in the mike/module and one is good to go. But as I work in the I/T line, the simplicity doesn't make a difference to me. I got my kit a couple of years ago when USB mikes like the miniDSP UMIK are not popular yet. At that time, I already had REW downloaded but the need to hunt for a preamp mike with phantom power and an external soundcard was a bit of a hassle. So when someone has a used XTZ Room Analyzer kit for sale at a relatively cheap price, I just bought it.

Now that we have professionally calibrate USB mikes, and I have a need for better analysis of the test data, I have decided to upgrade to REW. Features wise, the XTZ control software contains maybe 60% the functionality of REW but I will know more when my UMIK comes and I start to use REW.
With the XTZ do you have the new (separate pre/soundcard & normal looking mic) or old mic?

If you have the new pro mic have you tried the mic pre/soundcard with REW?
post #627 of 887 Old 05-30-13, 08:09 AM
Shackster

Ah, sorry, I now understand your original question, english is not my first/main language so sometimes I misunderstand what others say.

I have the so-called 'old' mike, the USB one. I have not tried it with REW before though I believe it will work. But I won't have the calibration file for it as it comes shipped with built-in calibration (not sure how they do it, maybe in the ADC). In fact, I will go and try it now and see whether they work or not.
post #628 of 887 Old 05-30-13, 08:32 AM
Shackster

I just tried and as I expected/suspected, REW works fine with the XTZ supplied USB mike. The XTZ mike appears in Windows as 'XTZ' and there is both an XTZ for input and output, the output one corresponding, I suppose, to the soundcard used to generate the test signal. So in REW, I just click on preferences and select XTZ as the input.

XTZ says their software has been specially calibrated to work with the supplied mike so I suppose the calibration is hard-coded into the software. Hmmm... maybe I will go dig around the XTZ install folders to see if there is something which looks like a mike calibration file...
post #629 of 887 Old 05-30-13, 08:49 AM
Shackster

Last update. I could not find any calibration files in the install folder. In fact there are only a few items in the folder. It looks like the calibration has been hard-coded into the software.
post #630 of 887 Old 05-30-13, 02:11 PM

Just a bit of warning, my several month old UMIK-1 (from the new batch, I had to wait a few weeks while they sorted things out) died unexpectedly after it's second use. It's probably a bad USB port or USB electronics, as it doesn't show up on computers and the light doesn't illuminate on the mic.

The worse part is after attempts to contact them via their website, I've yet to get a response.