MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 67 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #661 of 887 Old 06-25-13, 04:24 AM
Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Hi,

UMIK mikes has a gain of 12dB and I remember reading instructions in this thread about how I can edit the supplied calibration file to include the compensation for this gain. At the moment, everytime I run a measurement, REW warns me that the levels are too low but the result comes out OK. I tried searching through this thread but couldn't find the instructions in question. Anyone remembers how to do this ? I remember it is a simple matter of adding a line to the beginning of the calibration file which is in text format anyway, specifying the gain. But I need to know the syntax.

Thanks for all and any responses and best regards,
WongKN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 887 Old 06-27-13, 04:57 PM
REW Author

John

Quote:
WongKN wrote: View Post
At the moment, everytime I run a measurement, REW warns me that the levels are too low but the result comes out OK.
Are you using REW V5, or V5.01 beta? The Beta version 'knows' about the UMIK and should not give warnings about levels unless they are very low.
post #663 of 887 Old 06-27-13, 11:11 PM
Shackster

I am using REW V5. Looks like I should just upgrade to the beta version. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by WongKN; 06-27-13 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the courtesy to say thanks.
post #664 of 887 Old 07-06-13, 03:55 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Hi -

I recently got the UMIK-1 from CSL. I have a couple questions and Herb referred me here.

1) I am using REW beta 5.1 (thanks for the great program) and a laptop with HDMI. I used the setup guide from over on AVR put together by Austin Jerry.

I keep getting different floor levels when plugging min my mic, without changing the level input in Windows. Sometimes it will be ~40, others 9, and others in the 15s. Is there something wrong with my mic that the floor level keeps changing?

Unless the floor level is ~40 I can't calibrate the SPL meter in REW without having to set the volume so high that REW tells me I'm clipping. Lately I've just been skipping the calibration and setting the AVR at -10 and input level at 25 to keep the DB level consistent in my subwoofer FR testing. However I would like to have an accurate SPL reading that is identical every time (for identical graphs, etc), via the SPL calibration tool.

This brings me to question two.

Using the UMIK-1 and REW as an SPL meter. This is possible, right? Do I need the sensitivity line in my cal files from Herb?

Thanks for any light you all can shed.

1st time poster! Woo Hoo.....!!
post #665 of 887 Old 07-06-13, 04:19 PM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Quote:
pdxrealtor wrote: View Post
Hi -

I recently got the UMIK-1 from CSL. I have a couple questions and Herb referred me here.

1) I am using REW beta 5.1 (thanks for the great program) and a laptop with HDMI. I used the setup guide from over on AVR put together by Austin Jerry.

I keep getting different floor levels when plugging min my mic, without changing the level input in Windows. Sometimes it will be ~40, others 9, and others in the 15s. Is there something wrong with my mic that the floor level keeps changing?

Unless the floor level is ~40 I can't calibrate the SPL meter in REW without having to set the volume so high that REW tells me I'm clipping. Lately I've just been skipping the calibration and setting the AVR at -10 and input level at 25 to keep the DB level consistent in my subwoofer FR testing. However I would like to have an accurate SPL reading that is identical every time (for identical graphs, etc), via the SPL calibration tool.

This brings me to question two.

Using the UMIK-1 and REW as an SPL meter. This is possible, right? Do I need the sensitivity line in my cal files from Herb?

Thanks for any light you all can shed.

1st time poster! Woo Hoo.....!!
I just got my UMIK-1 from CSL and it also does not include the sensitivity data. What I did was go the Minidsp site and pulled up the cal file for my SN. Then cut and paste the sensitivity data to the top line of Herbs CSL calibration file. Thats it. Mine seems to work fine.

Mains- Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Back Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50c's
Atmos -Goldenear HTR 7000's
Amps- Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5/Marantz M7025
Processor-Marantz AV7703 Preamp
Projector- Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #666 of 887 Old 07-06-13, 04:31 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Quote:
Dwight Angus wrote: View Post
I just got my UMIK-1 from CSL and it also does not include the sensitivity data. What I did was go the Minidsp site and pulled up the cal file for my SN. Then cut and paste the sensitivity data to the top line of Herbs CSL calibration file. Thats it. Mine seems to work fine.

Thanks! That's great.

Herb mentioned that but suggested I check here first. So what line of the cal file did you add it to? I have several cal files. The logical thing would seem to be add the sensitivity data to each cal file, but I want to be sure I do it right.

Upon trying to open one of my cal files I've found it won't open because it's a FRD file.

Or, now that I'm talking this out, is the sensitivity file added to the list of cal files and automatically assessed by REW each time you fire it up?

Last edited by pdxrealtor; 07-06-13 at 04:41 PM.
post #667 of 887 Old 07-06-13, 04:41 PM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

I inserted the "Sens factor line" on the top line of the cal file exactly like Minidsp shows it. I then compared spl with my spl meter and both measurements were within 1 db.

post #668 of 887 Old 07-06-13, 04:47 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Did you do it for all your cal files? I have six files, three narrow band and three third_octave band.

Also, how did you open the cal files to insert the Mini DSP data? Note pad or??
post #669 of 887 Old 07-06-13, 05:22 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

And did you include your mics serial number in that sens factor line?
post #670 of 887 Old 07-06-13, 06:18 PM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

I only included the sensitivity data in the one file "zero band response zero degrees" as thats the file I was using for room measurement using REW and I am pointing the mic directly at the speakers being measured. If you are using all six files then load the sensitivity data into all 6 files.