MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 69 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #681 of 887 Old 07-07-13, 04:33 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
Sorry for not responding to your email about this (it's been a rough couple of days, we had to put out dog to sleep on Friday and things have gone downhill since). I haven't looked into noise floor issues that closely with the UMIK-1 but on first glance that does sound a bit unusual, although perhaps others can speak to their experience. The first question I would ask: is there something on your USB bus or something running in the background of your machine (anti-virus, etc) that correlates with the noise floor irregularities?
Sorry to hear about your dog.. we have two we call our kids, so I understand how hard that must be.

My USB bus consists of the UMIK-1, a logitech wireless mouse adapter, and the USB stick that came with the MIC. I have no antivirus running, except for the software that come with Windows 8.

I even make sure the HVAC is turned off as it does add a few DB.

The only difference is two of my USP ports are 3.0 and one is 2.0. I used to think I had to use the 2.0, but it turns out the 3.0 is working just fine, and I've seen the different floor levels on the 3.0 as well.

I thought maybe it had to do with that sensitivity file, but it's not sounding that way.

Swingin- I will let you know when I get my sens. data over to my cal file. I dont want to change it right now because I have very consistent results just setting my AVR at 10 and my mic level at 25. I'm in the middle of getting my subs FR as flat as possible so until that is done I don't want to change anything that might affect the tons of graphs I've done and plan to do shortly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #682 of 887 Old 07-07-13, 04:39 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
swingin wrote: View Post
Maybe I didn't get it right, Sorry. Phillips, or anybody for that matter, could you post some screen shots of the process when you have the time. It's not letting me save anything when trying to copy & paste from the "Sens Factor =-5.929dB, SERNO: 7000896". This is the folder I saved to my desktop with original cal files.

"Sens Factor =-5.929dB, SERNO: 7000896"

10.054 -6.214461668
10.179 -6.041088351
10.306 -5.870899851
10.434 -5.703954414
10.564 -5.54013152

These are the first few lines of the files they have for my mic, above. Sorry I'm so computer illiterate.

How was your birthday?

Attach the MiniDSP UMIK file + Herbs files and i will do it for you, then we can look at what is happening at your end.
post #683 of 887 Old 07-07-13, 05:39 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

FWIW- if you right click on a cal file and select 'open with' from the drop down menu, then select the word pad program you will get a list of cal numbers.

Simply copy and paste your sens data from the minidsp site, and paste to the very top line. Then save.

I just did it on a spare copy of cal files to make sure it works and it does, just fine. If you need anymore help let me know where you're stuck at.

post #684 of 887 Old 07-08-13, 02:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Don

My System

Quote:
pdxrealtor wrote: View Post
Sorry to hear about your dog.. we have two we call our kids, so I understand how hard that must be.

My USB bus consists of the UMIK-1, a logitech wireless mouse adapter, and the USB stick that came with the MIC. I have no antivirus running, except for the software that come with Windows 8.

I even make sure the HVAC is turned off as it does add a few DB.

The only difference is two of my USP ports are 3.0 and one is 2.0. I used to think I had to use the 2.0, but it turns out the 3.0 is working just fine, and I've seen the different floor levels on the 3.0 as well.

I thought maybe it had to do with that sensitivity file, but it's not sounding that way.

Swingin- I will let you know when I get my sens. data over to my cal file. I dont want to change it right now because I have very consistent results just setting my AVR at 10 and my mic level at 25. I'm in the middle of getting my subs FR as flat as possible so until that is done I don't want to change anything that might affect the tons of graphs I've done and plan to do shortly.
I completely understand that, glad you got it figured out, thank you my man!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
So far,
this is the oldest
i've ever been.
post #685 of 887 Old 07-08-13, 02:15 PM
Senior Shackster

Don

My System

Quote:
pdxrealtor wrote: View Post
FWIW- if you right click on a cal file and select 'open with' from the drop down menu, then select the word pad program you will get a list of cal numbers.

Simply copy and paste your sens data from the minidsp site, and paste to the very top line. Then save.

I just did it on a spare copy of cal files to make sure it works and it does, just fine. If you need anymore help let me know where you're stuck at.
Well this is what I have so far, I try and put up a screen shot but it's in an .rtf format and I cant change it. This is a copy and paste of what I've done. I only added the first few rows, did I do it right? Or do I need to remove some of that first line? If it's right I'll go ahead and do all of the files. This one is the narrow band 0 degree file. Thanks you guys, I really appreciate your help...

4.33 -5.02 0
5.79 -2.96 0
7.24 -2.66 0
8.69 -1.6 0
10.14 -1.15 0
11.58 -0.53 0
13.04 -0.19 0
14.48 0.09 0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
So far,
this is the oldest
i've ever been.
post #686 of 887 Old 07-08-13, 02:30 PM
Senior Shackster

Don

My System

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
How was your birthday?

Attach the MiniDSP UMIK file + Herbs files and i will do it for you, then we can look at what is happening at your end.
Thank you Phillips, I did not have a good Bday, lol, but the next day made up for it

Well hopefully I have it right this time If I dont, I will send you both files. Thanks for being patient with me, I know you've already had enough of my ignorance.

I'm still trying to figure out why they dont add this to the cal files in the first place??? and is it a necessary thing to do?? Again, thanks to you that are trying to walk me through this...

So far,
this is the oldest
i've ever been.
post #687 of 887 Old 07-08-13, 04:49 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
swingin wrote: View Post
Well this is what I have so far, I try and put up a screen shot but it's in an .rtf format and I cant change it. This is a copy and paste of what I've done. I only added the first few rows, did I do it right? Or do I need to remove some of that first line? If it's right I'll go ahead and do all of the files. This one is the narrow band 0 degree file. Thanks you guys, I really appreciate your help...

4.33 -5.02 0
5.79 -2.96 0
7.24 -2.66 0
8.69 -1.6 0
10.14 -1.15 0
11.58 -0.53 0
13.04 -0.19 0
14.48 0.09 0
Looks fine the top line should be the same as whats in the MiniDSP manufacturer original file if you want to check it, below that should be untouched.
post #688 of 887 Old 07-08-13, 05:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Thank you Phillips, I did not have a good Bday, lol, but the next day made up for it
Thats no good, but came right thats great.

Quote:
Well hopefully I have it right this time If I dont, I will send you both files. Thanks for being patient with me, I know you've already had enough of my ignorance.
Looks fine, no worries. You can send the files if you want just for peace of mind if you want to?
Its all good glad to help if i can.

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out why they dont add this to the cal files in the first place??? and is it a necessary thing to do?? Again, thanks to you that are trying to walk me through this...
Herb doesn't measure for this so he won't put it on there as he can't clarify if it is accurate for his high standards.
But MiniDSP figures will be accurate enough so this can be added manually by the end user if they want to.

This is for Accurate SPL, so you can use it as a SPL meter as well.

Hope this clears things up.

Last edited by Phillips; 07-08-13 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Sorry this post has doubled up
post #689 of 887 Old 07-08-13, 05:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:

Quote:
Looks fine, no worries. You can send the files if you want just for peace of mind if you want to?

Quote:
Herb doesn't measure for this so he won't put it on there as he can't clarify if it is accurate for his high standards.
But MiniDSP figures will be accurate enough so this can be added manually by the end user if they want to.

post #690 of 887 Old 07-08-13, 05:22 PM
Senior Shackster

Don

My System

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post

That is the exact way that I got it, so I did good? SWEET! Finally, lol.. I understand about Herb now, didn't know that part of the story. Thank you so much, Id send you the files, but I'm not sure how to go about that either, go figure.. I have both files saved to my desktop in a folder, one opens with wordpad, the other is, well you know.. Thanks again, both of you guys!!!

I tried to send you a PM but It's in the wrong format so it wont let me load it..

So far,
this is the oldest
i've ever been.

Last edited by swingin; 07-08-13 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Adding info