MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 70 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #691 of 887 Old 07-08-13, 06:36 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
swingin wrote: View Post
Well this is what I have so far, I try and put up a screen shot but it's in an .rtf format and I cant change it. This is a copy and paste of what I've done. I only added the first few rows, did I do it right? Or do I need to remove some of that first line? If it's right I'll go ahead and do all of the files. This one is the narrow band 0 degree file. Thanks you guys, I really appreciate your help...

"Sens Factor =-5.929dB, SERNO: 7000896"
4.33 -5.02 0
5.79 -2.96 0
7.24 -2.66 0
8.69 -1.6 0
10.14 -1.15 0
11.58 -0.53 0
13.04 -0.19 0
14.48 0.09 0

You only added the first few lines in this post? Or did you add the first few lines from minidsp? If that latter, you only want to add the top line, not replace any lines in the cal file from Herb.

Sounds like you did it correct, just wanted to make sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 887 Old 07-08-13, 06:39 PM
Senior Shackster

Don

My System

Quote:
pdxrealtor wrote: View Post
You only added the first few lines in this post? Or did you add the first few lines from minidsp? If that latter, you only want to add the top line, not replace any lines in the cal file from Herb.

Sounds like you did it correct, just wanted to make sure.
No, just the first line of the file is what I added. The sens factor line. The copy and paste was just for reference. Thanks man!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
So far,
this is the oldest
i've ever been.

Last edited by swingin; 07-08-13 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Adding
post #693 of 887 Old 07-08-13, 06:40 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Awesome!

Is your floor level always ~50?
post #694 of 887 Old 07-08-13, 06:43 PM
Senior Shackster

Don

My System

Quote:
Awesome!

Is your floor level always ~50?
No, it's more like 40..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
So far,
this is the oldest
i've ever been.
post #695 of 887 Old 07-08-13, 06:46 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Interesting..... mine was about 40 as well the first time I setup and used REW. It went to 99 at one point, and has shown 15 and now I've been down at 9 for days.

Sounds like I might have an 'issue' with mic or my setup. Thanks for the info!
post #696 of 887 Old 07-08-13, 06:49 PM
Senior Shackster

Don

My System

Quote:
Interesting..... mine was about 40 as well the first time I setup and used REW. It went to 99 at one point, and has shown 15 and now I've been down at 9 for days.

Sounds like I might have an 'issue' with mic or my setup. Thanks for the info!
Well let me tell ya, you dont want to ask me anything about this stuff We all know what that will get ya, lol... Good luck!!

Maybe Phillips can help you out too.

So far,
this is the oldest
i've ever been.

Last edited by swingin; 07-08-13 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spell check
post #697 of 887 Old 07-11-13, 06:28 PM
Shackster
Etienne Dechamps

The following message was originally posted on the MiniDSP forums, but unfortunately I received no response in 4 days, so I'm posting it here hoping that someone can help me:

I'm definitely interested in buying one of those UMIK-1 microphones, but I've read a lot of concerns about their elevated noise floor (~50dB dBA, whereas other microphones in the same price range can do ~30dBA). To be fair this matches the specifications, which indicate max SPL at 133dB SPL and a noise floor at -74dBFS, which translates to an absolute noise floor of 59dB SPL. Nevertheless, I would appreciate being able to use the UMIK-1 to do THD measurements which require a clean, low noise floor.

I have the following questions:
  • Last time I checked, there was an issue with the noise floor being dominated by a nasty spike at 1kHz followed by its harmonics. Apparently this was an issue with an early batch and should be fixed now. Could someone confirm this?
  • What are the numbers regarding the noise floor for the recent revisions of the UMIK-1? I would greatly appreciate if people who ordered one recently could post a screenshot of what an RTA looks like in a very quiet room.
  • Is the UMIK-1 well-isolated with regard to USB power noise or should I be careful what I plug this thing into?
  • Does increasing the recording volume (i.e. in Windows) as any effect on the absolute (i.e. in dB SPL) noise floor? At first glance I would guess that the volume control is digital so it wouldn't have any effect, but I would sure like a confirmation.
  • It appears that you can open the UMIK-1 and change the sensitivity using DIP switches. Depending on where the noise is coming from, increasing the sensitivity might, in theory, lower the absolute noise floor in the same proportion. I don't require low sensitivity (I would be fine with just 110dB max SPL), so that wouldn't be a problem.
    • Has anyone tried this? Does this tweak have any effect on the absolute (i.e. in dB SPL) noise floor?
    • Is it safe to do this with regard to altering the microphone - i.e. is there a risk of causing damage, screwing up the calibration, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
post #698 of 887 Old 07-11-13, 06:39 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
e-t172 wrote: View Post
The following message was originally posted on the MiniDSP forums, but unfortunately I received no response in 4 days, so I'm posting it here hoping that someone can help me:

I'm definitely interested in buying one of those UMIK-1 microphones, but I've read a lot of concerns about their elevated noise floor (~50dB dBA, whereas other microphones in the same price range can do ~30dBA). To be fair this matches the specifications, which indicate max SPL at 133dB SPL and a noise floor at -74dBFS, which translates to an absolute noise floor of 59dB SPL. Nevertheless, I would appreciate being able to use the UMIK-1 to do THD measurements which require a clean, low noise floor.

I have the following questions:
  • Last time I checked, there was an issue with the noise floor being dominated by a nasty spike at 1kHz followed by its harmonics. Apparently this was an issue with an early batch and should be fixed now. Could someone confirm this?
  • What are the numbers regarding the noise floor for the recent revisions of the UMIK-1? I would greatly appreciate if people who ordered one recently could post a screenshot of what an RTA looks like in a very quiet room.
  • Is the UMIK-1 well-isolated with regard to USB power noise or should I be careful what I plug this thing into?
  • Does increasing the recording volume (i.e. in Windows) as any effect on the absolute (i.e. in dB SPL) noise floor? At first glance I would guess that the volume control is digital so it wouldn't have any effect, but I would sure like a confirmation.
  • It appears that you can open the UMIK-1 and change the sensitivity using DIP switches. Depending on where the noise is coming from, increasing the sensitivity might, in theory, lower the absolute noise floor in the same proportion. I don't require low sensitivity (I would be fine with just 110dB max SPL), so that wouldn't be a problem.
    • Has anyone tried this? Does this tweak have any effect on the absolute (i.e. in dB SPL) noise floor?
    • Is it safe to do this with regard to altering the microphone - i.e. is there a risk of causing damage, screwing up the calibration, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
I would put this in Cross-Spectrums thread, which is where you should purchase the mic from.

See this link http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ce-usa-30.html
post #699 of 887 Old 08-12-13, 09:33 AM
Shackster
Etienne Dechamps

FYI: someone on the MiniDSP forum measured the noise floor of the UMIK-1 and found good results (29.1 dB(A), 43.1dB(unwheighted)). I guess that makes the warning on the Cross-Spectrum labs website about noise floor obsolete.
post #700 of 887 Old 08-16-13, 10:42 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

I got a noise floor of 35 dBA using ARTA and an external acoustical calibrator. The 1 kHz (and harmonic) spikes are definitely gone.