MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 72 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #711 of 887 Old 10-01-13, 03:21 AM
Shackster
Etienne Dechamps

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone setup issue

Quote:
FunkBassPlayer wrote: View Post
I've calibrated the SPL meter in REW with an external SPL meter and all looked well but when I go to perform tests it seems my system needs to be much too loud to get -25 db input to REW. I've tried the set levels but my input from the UMIK seems much too low for the volume my speakers are putting out. When I get it loud enough at my listening position to satisfy REW's -25db input my system distorts badly from the wave that REW generates. I have a rather loud system that shouldn't have any problem hitting 75 db at the listening position.
AFAIK the UMIK-1 volume control is purely digital, so it doesn't really matter what measurement level you end up with, as it makes no difference with respect to noise floor. -25dB in normal measurement conditions with the UMIK-1 seems normal to me considering the max SPL of the mic. Just ignore REW's warnings about measurement level, they don't really make sense when using a fixed-gain mic.

Quote:
From the little bit of reading I've done in this thread I take it I should mention that I'm using the analog out of my laptop.
I would strongly advise against that, as laptop analog outputs are among the worst imaginable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #712 of 887 Old 10-01-13, 06:45 AM
REW Author

John

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone setup issue

Quote:
I recently purchased a UMIK-1 and can't seem to get it going.
Use the V5.01 beta version of REW from here, it will automatically recognise your mic and prompt you for the calibration file. USB mics operate at lower signal levels (to give them headroom for loud sounds), -25 dB is not required.
post #713 of 887 Old 10-02-13, 07:48 AM
Shackster
wildcrd

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Ordered mine two days ago from Cross-Spectrum. I've been checking my inbox like a crack-addict waiting for a response. Anechoic, if you aren't traveling, do you have an eta on shipment? I thought some were available.

post #714 of 887 Old 10-03-13, 01:24 PM
Shackster
wildcrd

So, from reading the forum posts Cross-Spectrum will not test for sensitivity (I am waiting on my umik-1 to arrive). However, if I download the minidsp calibration tied to my serial # and cut-n-paste the sensitivity line from it to the one provided by CS, then the umik-1 will act as an SPL meter correct?

Or, do I need a separate SPL meter to get accurate SPL readings? I did buy a RS digital meter, but it was DOA, which launched me on the process of getting the umik-1. I'm hoping that I can simply return the RS SPL and just use the umik-1.
post #715 of 887 Old 10-04-13, 04:07 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
So, from reading the forum posts Cross-Spectrum will not test for sensitivity (I am waiting on my umik-1 to arrive). However, if I download the minidsp calibration tied to my serial # and cut-n-paste the sensitivity line from it to the one provided by CS, then the umik-1 will act as an SPL meter correct?

That should be fine
post #716 of 887 Old 10-04-13, 06:53 AM
Shackster

arttu

Cross Spectrum Lab web site says that Calibrated MiniDSP UMIK-1 microphones are sold out. I had already decided to go for one. Any ideas as to when these will be available again?
post #717 of 887 Old 10-15-13, 08:12 AM
Shackster

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but should the mic level in control panel (Windows7) be set to +12dB? I have done some RTA noise measurements and I got the impression that the SPL was wrong?
I guess when using the UMIK-1 one should not use any calibration file for the input sound card, only the mic calibration?
Finally should I use "adjust RTA levels" when measuring background noise?

Cheers
Vidar
post #718 of 887 Old 10-15-13, 01:57 PM
REW Author

John

Quote:
vidareje wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but should the mic level in control panel (Windows7) be set to +12dB? I have done some RTA noise measurements and I got the impression that the SPL was wrong?
Shouldn't matter, REW compensates for the Windows volume setting, but make sure you use REW V5.01 beta.

Quote:
I guess when using the UMIK-1 one should not use any calibration file for the input sound card, only the mic calibration?
Correct

Quote:
Finally should I use "adjust RTA levels" when measuring background noise?
No, that is to produce plots that are more easily compared with sweeps. Just read the SPL figure as shown top right, but bear in mind it is unweighted, or read the figure on REW's SPL meter with whatever weighting you select.
post #719 of 887 Old 10-15-13, 02:48 PM
Shackster

Thank you very much for the reply
I use the latest version 5.01 beta. The volum seems to make differences.
The two attachments show the results from +24dB setting and -31dB?

Cheers
Vidar
Attached Thumbnails
MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-teststoy31.jpg  

MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-teststoy41.jpg  

post #720 of 887 Old 10-15-13, 06:27 PM
REW Author

John

If you go all the way to +24 in a very quiet environment you will see the effect of the extra gain on the output noise level of the mic electronics.