MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 75 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #741 of 887 Old 01-27-14, 06:35 PM
Shackster
Esprit

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Wrong, not bad.
I've paid a price, to MiniDSP, that includes the mic and their calibration.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Calibration File Download
All UMIK-1 are calibrated with a unique calibration file. To download the calibration, look for the 7 digit Serial Number found on the body of the microphone.

1) Enter the serial number in the below form (700-XXXX format) to download the specific calibration file.

2) In your browser, click on File - > Save from your browser to save as a .txt extension.

Serial number: -
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #742 of 887 Old 02-01-14, 05:28 AM
Shackster
neo_2009

Is HDMI required to use with the UMIK-1?
According to the "UMIK-1 setup with REW" page, "Connect an audio output from your computer to your sound system. With most computers, you can use the line out or headphone output with a suitable cable. It is advisable to connect into your system at the preamp inputs, so that the preamp volume control can be used to manage the signal level from the computer"

source: http://www.minidsp.com/applications/...setup-with-rew

Can anyone please clarify?
post #743 of 887 Old 02-01-14, 06:03 AM
REW Author

John

Quote:
neo_2009 wrote: View Post
Is HDMI required to use with the UMIK-1?
No.

post #744 of 887 Old 02-01-14, 09:48 AM
Shackster
neo_2009

@JonhM, i'm from Europe, so i cant order from cross labs (with taxes if would cost 3x more).

From Europe, the best options are :
- http://shop.dirac.se/products/116-um...icrophone.aspx
- http://oaudio.de/MiniDSP/OmnesAudio-...K-1::5201.html

I dont know if the dirac version has a file calibration to be used with their software, or its calibrated to the specific mic.
The other i suppose it's the regular umic-1 calibration file.

I've also contacted iSEMcon GmbH, but they dont calibrate the umik-1.

I'm planning to use the MIC with REW, in order to calculate the PEQ filter for the Emotiva UMC200.
Do you think the dirac version, or the regular umik-1, are accurate enough for obtaining measures to calculate the PEQ filter for the Emotiva UMC200?
post #745 of 887 Old 02-01-14, 11:54 AM
Shackster

Quote:
Esprit wrote: View Post
Hi, I've bought nine (9) UMIK-1 and now I'm downloading the calibration files from the miniDSP site.

ALL, I rewrite, ALL the nine (9) files are the same calibration file. What changes is ONLY the serial number

It seems to me that "All UMIK-1 are calibrated with a unique calibration file" is a *wrong* statement "as minimum" and I don't want to write here what I am thinking...

What do you think of this behavior?

Add: from #700-2572 to #700-2684 the files are identical, equal, the same...
Quote:
Esprit wrote: View Post
I've bought nine UMIK-1 from Cross-Spectrum.
I have nine different calibration files (from CS). All the mics are different.

There are more than one hundred UMIK-1 without the "individual calibration file" from MiniDSP, those who bought these microphones are using a wrong file and they are getting wrong measures.

The problem is that they don't know anything about this issue.

P.S. Anyone can verify this just change XXX with a number between 572 and 684
http://www.minidsp.com/images/umik/7002XXX.txt
You will get columns that are perfectly identical

So I was just about to order one of these mics, but after skimming through the last few pages, it seems like these so-called individual calibration files are a hoax. I'm also a bit confused about the ones coming from Cross Spectrum Acoustics...are they actually calibrating the mics independent of MiniDSP?
post #746 of 887 Old 02-01-14, 12:08 PM
Shackster

My System
Quote:
mannetti21 wrote: View Post
So I was just about to order one of these mics, but after skimming through the last few pages, it seems like these so-called individual calibration files are a hoax. I'm also a bit confused about the ones coming from Cross Spectrum Acoustics...are they actually calibrating the mics independent of MiniDSP?
Yes, Cross Spectrum calibrate the mic and send it out with a USB drive containing cal files at 0, 45 and 90 degrees.

Dave.
post #747 of 887 Old 02-03-14, 03:13 PM
REW Author

John

Quote:
neo_2009 wrote: View Post
Do you think the dirac version, or the regular umik-1, are accurate enough for obtaining measures to calculate the PEQ filter for the Emotiva UMC200?
Yes.
post #748 of 887 Old 02-03-14, 03:14 PM
Shackster
neo_2009

Thanks
post #749 of 887 Old 02-03-14, 03:19 PM
REW Author

John

Quote:
mannetti21 wrote: View Post
So I was just about to order one of these mics, but after skimming through the last few pages, it seems like these so-called individual calibration files are a hoax.
That seems a bit strong, there seems to be a batch that have been supplied with the same cal file, which is clearly wrong and no doubt the subject of some tense discussion between MiniDSP and the supplier, but there are 2,500 other UMIKs that have individual cal data, including those with serial numbers after the batch that was identified in an earlier post.
post #750 of 887 Old 02-03-14, 03:22 PM
Shackster
neo_2009

Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
... there seems to be a batch that have been supplied with the same cal file, which is clearly wrong and ...
Is there a way to verify if the cal file received is the correct for the received mic?
For example contacting miniDSP, and send them the serial number and the calibration file?