MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 79 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #781 of 887 Old 03-12-14, 10:50 AM
Senior Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Does'nt really sound simple like "Plug & Play" ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 887 Old 03-15-14, 05:08 AM
Shackster

My UMIK-1 order was just placed on CSL.
Can't wait to try it out!
post #783 of 887 Old 05-16-14, 07:14 PM
Spencer

Hello all,
Learning more about REW and just ordered a UMIK-1.
Forgive me if i misunderstand, but is it possible to have any variance from one headphone jack output to another?
Since I am hooking up my laptop with headphone jack to RCA splitter to preamp, is it possible for the output jack to interfere with the signal? i.e. maybe the headphone jack doesn't output below 20hz or certain frequencies output differently?
If I use a different laptop, could I get a different measurement through REW, assuming all else is equal?

Just wondering, since I dont have the option of an HDMI out on my laptop.

Thanks!
post #784 of 887 Old 05-16-14, 11:17 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
FoSheezy wrote: View Post
Hello all,
Learning more about REW and just ordered a UMIK-1.
Forgive me if i misunderstand, but is it possible to have any variance from one headphone jack output to another?
Since I am hooking up my laptop with headphone jack to RCA splitter to preamp, is it possible for the output jack to interfere with the signal? i.e. maybe the headphone jack doesn't output below 20hz or certain frequencies output differently?
If I use a different laptop, could I get a different measurement through REW, assuming all else is equal?

Just wondering, since I dont have the option of an HDMI out on my laptop.

Thanks!
You will enjoy the learning curve of REW and room interactions etc.

If your Laptop is Vista or Windows 7 aged you will be fine.
If you are really concerned (shouldn't be) borrow a newer machine and compare make sure the mic doesn't move.

Talking from experience with different laptops i went from a Vista aged machine to a XP (12 years old) and there was a difference, easy fix.

My way around this was to make a calibration file for the difference between the Vista and XP machine.

Generally computer soundcards are very good these days.
post #785 of 887 Old 05-20-14, 10:08 PM
Shackster

It turns out that the delta between 0 degree and 90 degree measurements on UMIK-1s are extremely consistent, based on 10 measurement samples from Cross Spectrum Labs. So, I wrote a utility to translate the 0 degree calibration files from MiniDSP to 90 degree files.

If you need a 90 degree file to make measurements with the microphone pointed up, but only have the 0 degree individual calibration file from MiniDSP, give it a try (attached file).

If you haven't purchased the mic yet, it's worth it to spend the extra $20 to get an individual 90 degree measurement from Cross Spectrum Labs. If you already have the mic, this is a good alternative.

http://www.minidsp.com/forum/umik-qu...n-to-90-degree

post #786 of 887 Old 07-22-14, 11:57 PM

I would like to buy one of these for car audio tuning. what the best place to order one from?
post #787 of 887 Old 07-23-14, 12:24 AM
Shackster

Quote:
customaudioman wrote: View Post
I would like to buy one of these for car audio tuning. what the best place to order one from?
I'd recommend spending the extra $20 to get it from Cross Spectrum Labs with more measurement data.

I don't know much about car audio measurements, but my guess is that you'd use the 90 degree file with all those speakers, and it only includes a 0 degree file when you buy from MiniDSP.
post #788 of 887 Old 07-23-14, 08:51 AM

okay thanks, just wanted to make sure I needed to buy from them.
post #789 of 887 Old 09-23-14, 07:32 AM
Senior Shackster
Ice10

Sorry, this is a noob question so please forgive me. Are there any benefits buying the UMIK-1 over the Dayton UMM-6 mic? Any drawbacks?

I want to make up my mind, but those are the two choices I have. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #790 of 887 Old 09-23-14, 09:11 AM
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

Cross Spectrum will ship the UMIK-1 to addresses in and out of the US. They only ship the UMM-6 to US addresses. I don't know why. Parts Express doesn't seem to have the same restriction on the UMM-6 but only includes the one 0 calibration file AFAIK.

7.1 System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Center - Infinity Video 1
Surrounds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)

Content source - WDTV Live Hub Media Server