MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 81 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #801 of 887 Old 12-05-14, 09:31 AM
Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

^^ yes, I already did that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #802 of 887 Old 12-20-14, 01:15 PM
Shackster

I am collecting documentation for using UMIK-1 on Linux on github. Please submit additional information to this repository called umik-1 by PanderMusubi if you have it.
post #803 of 887 Old 12-22-14, 03:17 AM
Shackster
Sam Ash

Arrow UMIK-1 and REW - Interesting

Just got my UMIK-1 package and decided to try it out with the highly reputable REW software (Mac Version 5.01 Beta 24).

Once the UMIK-1 is connected and is recognised by REW, it asks for a calibration file. I downloaded the serial number associated calibration files from the MiniDSP site and I'm using the 90 degree version (for Mic pointing straight-up). Once that calibration file is located, REW takes it into consideration. I presume no further calibration is required, is that correct ?

I started with the SPL utility in REW to set my home theatre speaker levels, this is what I did:-

1) I used the pink noise function built into my pre/pro which allows activation of each individual speaker.
2.) I raised the volume of the pre/pro until the SPL utility read 70dB (Did this at night with no or minimum ambient noise).
3.) I set the levels of all the speakers to 70dB or close.

I later realised that I performed the above procedure using the z weighting instead of the C weighting which most people recommend when using an SPL meter.

Will my levels be wrong with z weighting ?

Does C weighting have any benefit over z weighting ?

Furthermore, I intend to use REW to ascertain my room response especially for the lows (20Hz-200Hz), I have a male to male headphone plugs cable that goes from the headphone interface of the macbook pro into an adapter that allows conversion to stereo RCA/Phono. I presume I have to connect one of the RCA connectors (either left or right) into the sub input on the processor. I use a powered sub which is connected to the pre/pro via sub pre-out. I want to perform tests with both pink noise and a sweep.

1.) How do I bypass the crossover setting (80Hz) ? - By setting the XO as high as possible e.g. 200Hz ?

2.) Can the sweep cause any damage to my subwoofer or speakers ? (My speakers are not full-range and have been configured to work with an XO of 80Hz).

Any help from fellow members will be appreciated.
post #804 of 887 Old 12-22-14, 08:34 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: UMIK-1 and REW - Interesting

Quote:
Sam Ash wrote: View Post
I presume no further calibration is required, is that correct ?
That's correct.

Quote:
Will my levels be wrong with z weighting ?
The levels will be the same with either weighting selected in this case. REW only applies the C weighting curve outside the range of the calibration file. The UMIK-1 cal file is full range so there was no effect.

Quote:
Does C weighting have any benefit over z weighting ?
Z weighting is flat (No weighting). C weighting rolls off in the bass and treble. Wiki or other resources have good explanations. With REW C is used for handheld SPL Meters that do not have a cal file or Z Weighting.

Quote:
1.) How do I bypass the crossover setting (80Hz) ? - By setting the XO as high as possible e.g. 200Hz ?
The sub input bypasses the XO, but the LPF is still active. Its common to set the LPF off or as high as possible for SW only measurements and EQ the SW flat. There may be 10dB higher level on the SW that way? I never did it that way. I just use the mains inputs and allow the XO to be active. I then sweep with the SW only active, then with the main only active, and then with both the SW and main active for that channel. That way I can see how well they blend through the XO range.

There are several procedures that work fine. Just find a procedure that will work for your setup and follow it.

Quote:
2.) Can the sweep cause any damage to my subwoofer or speakers ? (My speakers are not full-range and have been configured to work with an XO of 80Hz).
It is recommended to test at 75-80dB level. That way there is no way to damage the SW, mains, or you ears.
post #805 of 887 Old 12-23-14, 12:07 AM
Shackster
Sam Ash

Re: UMIK-1 and REW - Interesting

Dear JTalden, thank you very much indeed for your kind and helpful input.

Quote:
The sub input bypasses the XO, but the LPF is still active.
Do you mean the sub input of the pre/pro ? I have switched-off the LPF on the SW as I find it easier to bass manage directly from the pre/pro. Hence, to work with REW, I'd like to connect via the pre/pro (SW input) as opposed to connecting directly to the SW because it is much easier for me to access my pre/pro.

Let me explain further, at first I thought I should connect the stereo RCA or phono from my laptop headphone out to one of the stereo inputs on my processor. However, my processor also has a set of 7.1 unbalanced phono inputs and I'm wondering if its better to connect one of the stereo phono connectors (either left or right) into the SW phono interface within the 7.1 inputs on the pre/pro.

Quote:
Its common to set the LPF off or as high as possible for SW only measurements and EQ the SW flat.
I will check to see if I can switch-off the LPF in the processor and if that is not possible then set it as high as possible. Is there a tutorial that shows how to EQ the SW flat ?

Quote:
There may be 10dB higher level on the SW that way? I never did it that way. I just use the mains inputs and allow the XO to be active. I then sweep with the SW only active, then with the main only active, and then with both the SW and main active for that channel. That way I can see how well they blend through the XO range.
There are several procedures that work fine. Just find a procedure that will work for your setup and follow it.
The above information is very interesting but I don't fully understand what you mean. I will really appreciate it if you can explain it to me further. What do you mean by the mains inputs ?

Quote:
It is recommended to test at 75-80dB level. That way there is no way to damage the SW, mains, or you ears.
Well noted - I set my levels at 70dB using the SPL utility and even that was quite loud.
post #806 of 887 Old 12-23-14, 12:55 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Well you seem to be starting from basics rather than needing clarification on a few items.
I suggest you move to the REW forum and read all the sticky threads as well as REW help. There is lots of good info there on both setup for measuring and how to EQ to a house curve.

Your browser is also you friend as there are lots of other articles on how to setup a SW if that is your overall intent. Here is one example site with lots of good info.

Post any question you have in that forum as it the place to go for this kind of help.
post #807 of 887 Old 12-23-14, 02:45 AM
Shackster
Sam Ash

Quote:
jtalden wrote: View Post
Well you seem to be starting from basics rather than needing clarification on a few items.
I suggest you move to the REW forum and read all the sticky threads as well as REW help. There is lots of good info there on both setup for measuring and how to EQ to a house curve.

Your browser is also you friend as there are lots of other articles on how to setup a SW if that is your overall intent. Here is one example site with lots of good info.

Post any question you have in that forum as it the place to go for this kind of help.
Thank you, I appreciate it.
post #808 of 887 Old 01-02-15, 07:33 AM
Shackster
Sam Ash

Exclamation Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Hi guys, I've had a bit of a strange experience and was wondering if someone may be able to shed some light. From what I understand the UMIK-1 does not need to be calibrated against a dedicated SPL meter.

SETTING SPEAKER LEVELS OF MY 7.1 HT USING REW & UMIK-1
I used the pink noise function in my processor and positioned the UMIK-1 so that it was in the main listening point (sweet spot) at ear level and pointing straight-up. I did not use any calibration file. I activated the SPL to start measuring and raised the volume on my processor so that it read about 60dB. I say ďaboutĒ because that figure keeps shifting with the pink noise. I then activated each speakers including the subwoofer until I got more-a-less the same reading (60 dB). After this process, I performed a test with some movies and it sounded so much better but I had to intuitively raise the level of the subwoofer for better overall integration. By that I mean, the low frequency effects were eventually strong enough to give that nice low-end thump but not too much that it ruins the mid and high frequencies. I tested the new levels with some movies and they sounded nice. For music I had to set the Subwoofer levels a little lower to get a nice balance.

Then, after a few days, I performed the same procedure with the 90 degrees calibration file in effect. I noticed that people on the forums recommended a figure of 70 to 75 dB for measurements and so I raised the volume until I achieved 70dB in the REW SPL utility and re-calibrated speaker levels. To my surprise, it made things worse. Although, I set all the levels to around 70 dB, my side and rear speakers became far too pronounced and overshadowed my front speakers. Speech intelligibility has become a problem and there seems to be a bit of brightness in the sound not to mention that my subwoofer is not integrating as well as it was before. I guess the brightness is just a sensation created due to the incorrect levels.

Any idea what the problem could be ?
post #809 of 887 Old 01-02-15, 11:36 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Just a guess:
The pink noise used may have been full range instead of band limited? Channel level setting for mains is normally done on band limited noise containing only the mid frequencies. If the noise was full range the LF room modes would be excited. The higher SW levels used in the second setup may have corrupted the process in the mains to a greater extent.

I suggest:
Use the REW signal generator for "Pink Noise" and chose "Speaker Cal" to get a band limited noise for the mains. You could also turn off the SW if you want extra confidence, but that shouldn't be necessary. Set the mains levels using the REW meter set to "Slow" to help smooth out the fluctuation. This should work and should be consistent if repeated. The mains levels should be then correct.

Then switch the signal to the "Sub Cal" setting and set the SW level. This is more problematic as the room modes and personal preferences make a significant difference. This is a good starting point however. After some listening experience you can then just adjust the SW level to taste as needed.
post #810 of 887 Old 01-02-15, 01:21 PM
Shackster
Sam Ash

Lightbulb Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
jtalden wrote: View Post
Just a guess:
The pink noise used may have been full range instead of band limited? Channel level setting for mains is normally done on band limited noise containing only the mid frequencies. If the noise was full range the LF room modes would be excited. The higher SW levels used in the second setup may have corrupted the process in the mains to a greater extent.

I suggest:
Use the REW signal generator for "Pink Noise" and chose "Speaker Cal" to get a band limited noise for the mains. You could also turn off the SW if you want extra confidence, but that shouldn't be necessary. Set the mains levels using the REW meter set to "Slow" to help smooth out the fluctuation. This should work and should be consistent if repeated. The mains levels should be then correct.

Then switch the signal to the "Sub Cal" setting and set the SW level. This is more problematic as the room modes and personal preferences make a significant difference. This is a good starting point however. After some listening experience you can then just adjust the SW level to taste as needed.
Hi Jtalden, thank you for your kind input. Actually, for both times, I did not take the subwoofer into consideration because I realised that it is not quite effective without some manual tweaking pertaining to individual rooms and personal preferences as you correctly said.

My settings in the REW SPL were correct I think: Z weighted and slow.

I would not mind using REW's pink noise generator for "Speaker Cal" at all and appreciate that suggestion. However, I would have to connect and disconnect RCA connectors several times behind my AV processor to achieve that and that would certainly be a bit cumbersome.

One thing that I do remember that was different in the last level setting procedure, apart from using the 90 degrees calibration file, was the fact that the word "OVER" near the SPL value in the top right hand corner turned red. What does that indicate ?