MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 82 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #811 of 887 Old 01-02-15, 12:45 PM
REW Author

John

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

"OVER" means the input signal is clipping. You can clear that by clicking on the OVER indicator, but it means input levels are too high. Odd to have that on a UMIK-1 since it would indicate very high SPL.

UMIK-1 can only be used as a calibrated SPL meter with REW if you load the MiniDSP cal file for the meter or load a 3rd party cal file that has the sensitivity figure from the MiniDSP file added as the first line, without that sensitivity info REW doesn't have the information it needs to translate the signal level into SPL.

Use C weighting when setting speaker levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 887 Old 01-02-15, 01:07 PM
Shackster
Sam Ash

Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
"OVER" means the input signal is clipping. You can clear that by clicking on the OVER indicator, but it means input levels are too high. Odd to have that on a UMIK-1 since it would indicate very high SPL.

UMIK-1 can only be used as a calibrated SPL meter with REW if you load the MiniDSP cal file for the meter or load a 3rd party cal file that has the sensitivity figure from the MiniDSP file added as the first line, without that sensitivity info REW doesn't have the information it needs to translate the signal level into SPL.

Use C weighting when setting speaker levels.
Thank you very much indeed John, I downloaded the two calibration files from the miniDSP site by entering the serial number of my UMIK-1 mic and used the 90-degrees version as I have been pointing the mic straight-up at ear level at the sweet spot.

Here is the first line of my 90-degrees calibration file:-

"Sens Factor =0.1904dB, SERNO: 7004996"

The "Sens Factor" value is the same in the 0-degrees calibration file.

I will try and set the levels again using C weighting as per your advice, I will do this with the 90-degrees calibration file in effect. Additionally, I may try and redo the procedure without the calibration file as I did initially and obtained much better results.
post #813 of 887 Old 01-02-15, 04:06 PM
Shackster

Can I use REW with my UMIK-1 to test if I have any faulty speakers or do I need other software for that? The speakers I want to test are eight identical ones from which I do not have specifications. However, I know some are faulty and comparing them amongst themselves I will be able to determine which are done and can be recycled and which I can keep on using. PS I am very new to REW. I could think of putting a sweeping sine through each of them and compare spectrograms but I am sure there must be something out there which is specially made for this.

post #814 of 887 Old 01-02-15, 04:15 PM
Shackster
Etienne Dechamps

If you compare the speakers by measuring them with exactly the same setup each time (especially the position of the speaker and the position of the microphone), the measurements should be valid relative to each other (but not in an absolute way, because of room acoustics). From there it should be easy to see which ones have a frequency response that deviates from the others, or have abnormal harmonic distortion. Simply follow the standard REW measurement procedure.
post #815 of 887 Old 01-02-15, 06:50 PM
Shackster
Sam Ash

Question Speaker Levels Calibration

Jtalden / John - I am still trying to figure out and resolve the problem I am having with speaker level calibration using REW's SPL utility and UMIK-1. Have a look at the attached Acrobat PDF file containing screen shots. I have indicated some settings and have asked some questions. Your input will be appreciated. I am running REW on a MacBook Pro.
post #816 of 887 Old 01-02-15, 09:29 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Sam Ash,
Just to advise:
I will need to leave these questions to those that use a Mac and USB mics. I don't see a problem, but there could easily be one as I just don't have any experience with that setup to know.
post #817 of 887 Old 01-03-15, 08:00 AM
REW Author

John

Re: Speaker Levels Calibration

Quote:
Sam Ash wrote: View Post
Jtalden / John - I am still trying to figure out and resolve the problem I am having with speaker level calibration using REW's SPL utility and UMIK-1. Have a look at the attached Acrobat PDF file containing screen shots. I have indicated some settings and have asked some questions. Your input will be appreciated. I am running REW on a MacBook Pro.
The gain figure in the UMIK-1 device name comes from the device itself, it indicates an internal gain setting (which can be altered by opening the device should there be a need, would be unusual).

Use Audio Midi Setup rather than Sound preferences to set the input gain and set it to 0 dB (per the help).

Select the input for the UMIK in the REW soundcard preferences rather than leaving it as "Default Input", that allows REW to compensate for any changes to the input volume setting (if running the REW beta version).
post #818 of 887 Old 02-19-15, 09:05 AM
Shackster

Hello,
I ´ve just finished my first measurement via UMIK-1 and Wharfedale pacific evo II - 30
http://www.audio-occasion.qc.ca/pdf/...%20EVO%202.pdf
There is something strange for me below 100Hz.

1. two gaps (55Hz, 95Hz)
2. measured characteristics rises up below 50Hz, I expected falling down with my speakers...

What could be wrong ?
Attached Thumbnails
MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-test.jpg  

post #819 of 887 Old 02-19-15, 11:49 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
j.rozsypal wrote: View Post
Hello,
I ´ve just finished my first measurement via UMIK-1 and Wharfedale pacific evo II - 30
http://www.audio-occasion.qc.ca/pdf/...%20EVO%202.pdf
There is something strange for me below 100Hz.

1. two gaps (55Hz, 95Hz)
2. measured characteristics rises up below 50Hz, I expected falling down with my speakers...

What could be wrong ?
I do not see any thing wrong... your speakers response is not going to be flat and your graph is really zoomed out so it's going to look flat.

I would start a new tread and post your file and the guys here will help you. I think you first need to know what you are looking at and understand that most people hear the room and not the speakers when it comes to bass.
post #820 of 887 Old 04-30-15, 05:27 PM
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

Holy--Cow!!!
$20 shipping. Is this being shipped from the moon?