MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 84 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #831 of 887 Old 05-06-15, 02:57 PM
Senior Shackster

Nathan

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

I think I follow now.

Explains why the REW input level meter seems to set, then dances around when I change the Win mic input level, but the SPL corrects.

Much more confident in using this in front of a client for SPL and LEQ logging tests at a show now. Thank you for answering my pernickety questions John.

>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #832 of 887 Old 06-15-15, 02:36 PM
Shackster

Hi All,

I just received my MiniDSP and Umik-1 Mic. Very excited about this adventure and nervous at the same time. I plan to follow the guide listed here to the T yet I'm hooping that with this setup I can do some real time frequency response on the room in place of the sub-woofer crawl to find the best or smoothest response I can before starting with filters etc. Is that possible? The subs I chose to use are breasts and won't play well trying to sit them on a chair in the listening position. I'm also limited to placement behind the movie screen on a stage.
post #833 of 887 Old 06-15-15, 03:16 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
splatman2 wrote: View Post
I hooping that with this setup I can do some real time frequency response on the room in place of the sub-woofer crawl to find the best or smoothest response I can before starting with filters etc. Is that possible?
Yes. Use the RTA feature. It will play a continuous pink noise signal. As you move the sub you’ll see the graph change in real time (hence the name Real Time Analyzer).

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #834 of 887 Old 06-15-15, 10:20 PM
Shackster

Thank y only hope I ordered the correct Plugin.
2x4 Advanced
Date added: 06/01/2015
Date modified: 06/01/2015
Filesize: 3.55 MB
miniDSP 2x4 Advanced plug-in. Win&Mac build

2x4 advanced plug-in with matrix, Crossover, PEQ, compressor/Limiter..

V1.01 / Release date June 2015

I'm following this guide at this time
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...dsp-print.html

and there are 2) 2 way Advanced pluging on the MiniDSP page so I went with the one that said:
"Similar to all miniDSP plug-ins, this plug-in is fully compatible with Room EQ Wizard thanks to its tight integration with the Advanced biquad feature."
Hope this is the right one. But if not another $10 to go.

Last edited by splatman2; 06-16-15 at 11:21 AM.
post #835 of 887 Old 07-17-15, 03:52 PM

I received my UMIK-1 today and plugged it in, but couldn't figure out how to get REW to recognize it - no dialog box is shown when REW is started.

I'm running 32-bit Windows 7 and REW v5.12 with JRE 1.8.0_45. Device Manager / Sound devices does show UMIK-1 so I assume the mic is working fine.

My Soundcard is M-Audio Revolution 7.1 which is recognized by REW only when using ASIO drivers. If I select "Java drives" REW shows a warning "No input mixers available".

What I should try next?
post #836 of 887 Old 08-19-15, 03:49 AM
Shackster

My System

Hi,

Had the x-spectrum miniDSP mic with me for quite a few weeks - but couldn't find time to try it out.
Partly because I'm totally new to REW & need a fair bit of reading up.
Finally drag myself to set it up & make some very rough measurements.
A few question on using the UMIK-1 USB mic with REW that really like the gurus here to advises if my steps were correct or not.

1) When loading in the mic cal file - which one to pick ?
[C weighted SPL Meter] or [Mic or Z Weighted SPL Meter] ??

2) When I plug in the mic, there is this warning, is there something wrong with the cal file provided ?
[The mic calibration file does not have sensitivity data (there is no Sens Factor line in the file), SPL readings will need to be calibrated against an external SPL meter.]
I make use of the [narrow_band_response_0_degree.frd] as per x-spectrum suggested instruction.

3) After which, I click the [Make Measurement] tab, adjust the start freq to [0 hz] and end freq to [24,000], level dB FS [-12.0], length to [256k], sweeps to [1].
Press the [Check Levels] and follow the instructions (keep increase my pre amp vol up till the level it say OK).

4) Press [Start Measurement] - then that is it.

Any specific step(s) that I might had missed out ?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards, E.H.
post #837 of 887 Old 08-20-15, 04:53 PM
REW Author

John

Quote:
tane0019 wrote: View Post
1) When loading in the mic cal file - which one to pick ?
[C weighted SPL Meter] or [Mic or Z Weighted SPL Meter] ??
Mic or Z Weighted SPL Meter

Quote:
2) When I plug in the mic, there is this warning, is there something wrong with the cal file provided ?
[The mic calibration file does not have sensitivity data (there is no Sens Factor line in the file), SPL readings will need to be calibrated against an external SPL meter.]
I make use of the [narrow_band_response_0_degree.frd] as per x-spectrum suggested instruction.
As the message says, the file does not have sensitivity data - Cross Spectrum don't include it. Download the miniDSP cal file for your mic and copy the first line from that file into the Cross Spectrum file.
post #838 of 887 Old 08-20-15, 11:01 PM
Shackster

My System

Many thanks John.

On my point 3), it is correct ?
Or do I need to calibrate the SPL level to 75dB (both REW and another external SPL meter) first before executing point 3) check level ?

Regards, E.H.
post #839 of 887 Old 08-21-15, 03:47 PM
REW Author

John

SPL calibration would not be needed if the cal file has the sensitivity data and the UMIK is selected as the input for REW, so REW 'knows' a UMIK is the input source.

The levels check is to make sure the signal level is not too low to give a good measurement, it is not related to SPL as such - if you were very close to the speaker, for example, a low SPL could still have good signal levels. The levels check is not something that needs to be done often, if the levels are too low (or too high) REW will warn you when you measure anyway. If the levels are too low it is better to adjust the input volume settings rather than the replay volume. The measurement signal should never be uncomfortably loud.
post #840 of 887 Old 08-22-15, 12:34 PM
Shackster

My System

Thk again John.

Regards, E.H.