MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 86 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #851 of 887 Old 03-28-16, 02:17 AM
Shackster

Umik1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #852 of 887 Old 03-29-16, 01:05 AM
Shackster

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Thanks for the info b bos37.

I ordered one tonight.

Regards,

Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #853 of 887 Old 03-29-16, 05:38 PM
REW Author

John

I'd go with the UMIK. The UMM-6 can be a bit fragile.
post #854 of 887 Old 03-31-16, 01:29 AM
Shackster

Glad I made the right choice Gentlemen.

Regards,

Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by -Jim-; 03-31-16 at 01:40 AM.
post #855 of 887 Old 04-01-16, 10:45 AM
Shackster
Rick

Me, I got one too this week UMIK1 that is. Only just tried it out briefly, but so far so much easier to use than a separate amp and Mic/SPL meter with calibration unknown or greatly suspect. Most important thing I did to start was download the cal files and save them and the serial number to disk and my backups archive. That now all being safe time to play and see what improvements I can make
post #856 of 887 Old 04-03-16, 02:37 PM
Shackster

Cool Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Rick,

Glad to hear it's easier to use. I work on the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid ) so if this Mic helps keep it simple => I'm all for that. The Canadian Distributor (Solen Online) said the delivery for the MiniDSP UMIK-1 would take between 1-5 days (I assume business days) so it should be here on Monday. I can hardly wait to try it out!

Regards,

Jim
post #857 of 887 Old 04-04-16, 08:40 AM
Shackster
Rick

Quote:
-Jim- wrote: View Post
Rick,

Glad to hear it's easier to use. I work on the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid ) so if this Mic helps keep it simple => I'm all for that. The Canadian Distributor (Solen Online) said the delivery for the MiniDSP UMIK-1 would take between 1-5 days (I assume business days) so it should be here on Monday. I can hardly wait to try it out!
Hi Jim,
Mine from a dealer in London arrived overnight. I read another post somewhere where a forum members computer had a problem and the serial number had rubbed off the UMIK1 (sticky label type thing) he had lost everything and was asking how he could get that information (no serial number no cal files), which I don't know the answer to. So I think heeding my advice on backup of the cal files and serial number to at least a CD is probably a good idea, but me I'm daft about things like that and have most important things backed up (even the Denon 4520 settings file).

I have had a play but need to refresh my memory on some aspects of REW luckily the help files are good. But no need to calibrate the computer sound card, no loop backs required. Just plug in the UMIK1 (you may need to reboot REW the first time) wait for a few seconds or so for the message to come up select yes to use the UMIK1 a couple of seconds later it asks you for the cal file (which you should have copied somewhere on your PC there are two a point mic at object and a 90deg cal file for the mic to point at the ceiling for multichannel) set your levels and away you go. There are of course the main settings in REW to be done like sweep start and finish etc. etc. but basically if I have that right its that simple. One peculiar thing I did note with my Pioneer based system is that with the MCACC on I had a notch at 80Hz (crossover? some one else has seen this problem in another post) which was not there when I checked the speaker flat from the AVR with MCACC off the only reason I had put MCACC on at this point was to get the S/W working to do a full sweep. So lots of playing to do and proper learning curve now I have the right kit.

Anyway to conclude, yep this seems to go along with the KISS principle and helps make a complex subject like room analysis just that little bit easier.

All the best in your endeavours when it arrives, but for sure there is plenty of help at the Home Theatre Shack if you need it

Rick
post #858 of 887 Old 04-05-16, 01:32 AM
Shackster

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the post. My MiniDSP UMIK-1 arrived to day but after work we had to go to the Canucks (Hockey) Game so I didn't get to play with it at all. I'll go grab the Box now and try to get the Serial number so I can download the Cal File. I probably won' get much time to play with this until the weekend but I may try to sneak in an hour or two.

Regards,

Jim
post #859 of 887 Old 04-05-16, 05:47 AM
Shackster
Rick

Quote:
-Jim- wrote: View Post
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the post. My MiniDSP UMIK-1 arrived to day but after work we had to go to the Canucks (Hockey) Game so I didn't get to play with it at all. I'll go grab the Box now and try to get the Serial number so I can download the Cal File. I probably won' get much time to play with this until the weekend but I may try to sneak in an hour or two.
Hi Jim
Great you got it. Have highlighted in your post above two points. Serial Number This is on a fairly substantial sticky on the thick end of the UMIK1 so no trouble finding that (unless it eventually wears off as has happened and why I have saved mine to CD). Cal File as I mentioned in my earlier post there are two a standard file for use when pointing at the object to be measured such as a stereo system or measuring a speaker. The other is a 90deg cal file typically from what I read for home theatre type calibrations and with this calibration loaded the microphone should be pointed at the ceiling (like most AVR calibration mics).

All the best
Rick
post #860 of 887 Old 04-05-16, 10:26 PM
Shackster

Hi Rick,

I grabbed both Cal files, and I took a screen snip of the serial number when I plugged it into the MiniDSP website. Then I emailed all 3 files to myself in Hotmail, and another email account, so I'd be sure to have them if I lose them on this computer.

If I really want another back up I'll email them to my Brother.

My son just bought the new Star Wars Movie and wants me to watch it tonight. So there goes a chance to play with the UMIK-1.

Regards,

Jim