MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone - Page 88 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #871 of 887 Old 04-20-16, 09:11 PM
Shackster

Cool Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
Rick R wrote: View Post
Hi Jim,
I deleted some of your post to save a bit of space just left the relevant detail.

See the post above from FargateOne all sorts of adaptors on that link, really good of him to post it.

So I had a look and then checked out tripods, eBay may still be cheaper but I did a search with a price range and this one came up which has been discounted similar to what I use but extends higher see it here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...oom_Stand.html should you be interested

All the best

Rick
Thanks Rick,

That is a decent price for a stand. If my Tripod fails me maybe I'll try this instead. We'll see how it goes on the weekend.

Regards,

Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 887 Old 04-22-16, 07:48 AM
Shackster
Rick

Re: MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

Quote:
-Jim- wrote: View Post
Thanks Rick,

That is a decent price for a stand. If my Tripod fails me maybe I'll try this instead. We'll see how it goes on the weekend.
Hi Jim
Looks good, just remember that whatever you are using for the UMIK1 you need to be able to position it both vertical and horizontal, some camera tripods may not let you do position it vertical depending on the camera mounting part, one of mine has a big square base which would prevent the UMIK1 going vertical. One other point if you go for a mic stand check out any additional shipping charges, I noted in my research particularly on eBay Canada shipping charges were quite high (and most were coming to Canada from the US) in some cases more than the actual stand

All the best and good luck with your measurements at the weekend

PS I think I sorted my phase anomalies but just need to check a little more, also my group delay problem has gone away must have been a rogue measurement, maybe extraneous noise or something the latest ones are just about ruler flat with a minor deviation at the lowest frequencies around 15 to 20 Hz, so pretty pleased with that.
Rick
post #873 of 887 Old 04-24-16, 03:04 AM
Shackster

Hi Rick,

I did a couple of sweeps but I messed up a Bit. I'll post about it over at the REW forum.

My Tripod worked out quite well. Here's a couple of photos illustrating how it works with my "adapter".
Attached Thumbnails
MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-umik-1-mic-stand-h.png  

MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-umik-1-mic-stand-max.png  

MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone-umik-1-mic-stand-v.png  

Attachments

Regards,

Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #874 of 887 Old 04-24-16, 10:16 AM
Shackster
Rick

Quote:
-Jim- wrote: View Post
Hi Rick,

I did a couple of sweeps but I messed up a Bit. I'll post about it over at the REW forum.

My Tripod worked out quite well. Here's a couple of photos illustrating how it works with my "adapter".
Hi Jim
Yeah that looks quite good you got all the orientation you need and as long as your adaptor doesn't mean you can't get it down to ear height looks like you are good to go. I did see your post on the REW forum but now there have been more so will have to do a search to pick it up, but I noted you were saying with the surrounds you could not do a sweep without the sub. It is maybe because the surrounds are set to small so your AVR is adding in the sub automatically, try setting the surrounds to large in the speaker setup menu that may alleviate the sub problem otherwise switch the sub off and adjust your sweep at the lower frequencies to match your surrounds frequency response.

I am getting some strange results on my sub using ASIO4all doing a direct sub only measurement (selecting display speaker 1.4) with quite high 2nd harmonic distortion at one frequency from memory I think it is about 90Hz, if however I run the main speaker with the sub and set my sweep 20Hz to 120Hz and set the Xover to 120Hz to just see the sub the 2nd harmonic distortion is way down less than 1% a bit weird so I may raise that as a question on the REW forum and see what folks think. I am wondering if it is something to do with ASIO4all or some other factor. The way I see it, at the moment, using the second method I am still measuring only the sub
post #875 of 887 Old 04-24-16, 02:01 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Hi Jim
Yeah that looks quite good you got all the orientation you need and as long as your adaptor doesn't mean you can't get it down to ear height looks like you are good to go. I did see your post on the REW forum but now there have been more so will have to do a search to pick it up, but I noted you were saying with the surrounds you could not do a sweep without the sub. It is maybe because the surrounds are set to small so your AVR is adding in the sub automatically, try setting the surrounds to large in the speaker setup menu that may alleviate the sub problem otherwise switch the sub off and adjust your sweep at the lower frequencies to match your surrounds frequency response.

I am getting some strange results on my sub using ASIO4all doing a direct sub only measurement (selecting display speaker 1.4) with quite high 2nd harmonic distortion at one frequency from memory I think it is about 90Hz, if however I run the main speaker with the sub and set my sweep 20Hz to 120Hz and set the Xover to 120Hz to just see the sub the 2nd harmonic distortion is way down less than 1% a bit weird so I may raise that as a question on the REW forum and see what folks think. I am wondering if it is something to do with ASIO4all or some other factor. The way I see it, at the moment, using the second method I am still measuring only the sub
I m not an expert (a lot of them in Rew threads better than me) but I did the same mistake and John, Rew's author, said that Asio4all channel 1.4 send only LFE signal which is by definition 0 to 120hz.
Jtalden said that to measure the sub, you have to make full range sweep 20 -20Khz and disconnect the speaker choosen in Asio4all lets say channel 1.1 = front left.
Rick R likes this.

Last edited by FargateOne; 04-25-16 at 10:15 AM.
post #876 of 887 Old 04-25-16, 06:29 AM
Shackster
Rick

Quote:
FargateOne wrote: View Post
I m not an expert (a lot of them in Rew threads better than me) but I did yhe same mistake and Joh, Rew's author, said that Asio4all channel 1.4 send only LFE signal which is by definition 0 to 120hz.
Jtalden said that to measure the sub, you have to make full range sweep 20 -2Khz and disconnecte the speaker choosen in Asio4all lets say channel 1.1 = front left.
Hi FargateOne,

That is a great reply, taken a load off my mind. Had all sorts of strange ideas the latest being maybe my .1 channel on the AVR was causing the problem and was going to sweep that this afternoon. So I was basically part way there. Just to confirm, you say a full range sweep 20-2kHz or should that be 20-20kHz which would be the normal definition of full range.

Again thanks for that very useful information.
Rick
post #877 of 887 Old 04-25-16, 10:23 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Hi FargateOne,

That is a great reply, taken a load off my mind. Had all sorts of strange ideas the latest being maybe my .1 channel on the AVR was causing the problem and was going to sweep that this afternoon. So I was basically part way there. Just to confirm, you say a full range sweep 20-2kHz or should that be 20-20kHz which would be the normal definition of full range.

Again thanks for that very useful information.
Rick
Sorry for the typo: 20hz to 20 000 hz of course. The full range sweep helps when you want to see how the sub helps or not the transition between the sub frequencies and the fronts at the xover region. So you need a full sweep for the front alone (sub main switch to off), a sweep for the sub alone (front disconnected) and a sweep for Front left and sub together.
post #878 of 887 Old 04-25-16, 11:36 AM
Shackster
Rick

Quote:
FargateOne wrote: View Post
Sorry for the typo: 20hz to 20 000 hz of course. The full range sweep helps when you want to see how the sub helps or not the transition between the sub frequencies and the fronts at the xover region. So you need a full sweep for the front alone (sub main switch to off), a sweep for the sub alone (front disconnected) and a sweep for Front left and sub together.
Thanks for taking the time to clarify, really appreciated, now I know where I am going.

Rick
post #879 of 887 Old 06-21-16, 12:27 PM

Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
Mic or Z Weighted SPL Meter.

John, first off, thank you so much for this wonderful software program that you've created!

I know that I'm digging up an old post, but I've searched for clarification and this is the closest that I have found...

I know now to set the initial setting to Z Weighted when we first setup the soundcard info with the Umik-1 USB Microphone. My question/observation deal with what happens afterward when Im just using REW's internal SPL meter function on it's own. It seems like even if I selected the Z weighted option initially, the default setting for the SPL meter is C Weighted. When I then switch it to Z weighted via the radio button, the noise floor(?) registers almost 10dB greater than C Weighted did. Since the instructions for measuring my setup call for me to raised the output signal level roughly 40dB above the noise floor of the room, using Z Weighted pushes my AVR to a much higher playing level (10dB higher) just to meet that spec. surprisingly, beyond the difference measured for the noise floor, when I play and measure the final signal, the levels appear to be the same for both C and Z weighted.

So my questions is... does it make a difference if I leave the setting of the SPL to C weighted after having indicated that the USB Mic is Z Weighted?
post #880 of 887 Old 06-21-16, 02:22 PM
REW Author

John

The mic setting tells REW what kind of device is connected. It is independent of the SPL meter weighting setting. With the SPL meter on Z weighting you will see the influence of very low frequency content which is de-emphasised using A or C weighting. However, "measure 40 dB above..." is not good advice. Measure at a comfortable listening level, 75 dB is more than sufficient.