Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

316K views 886 replies 155 participants last post by  Wayne A. Pflughaupt 
#1 ·
MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

MiniDSP is a sponsor here at Home Theater Shack!

The UMIK-1 is an omni-directional USB measurement microphone providing Plug & Play acoustic measurement. From speaker & room acoustic measurement to recording, this microphone provides low noise and accurate results you can rely on. Forget about driver installation, OS compatibility and un-calibrated mics. The Umik-1 is a USB Audio class 1 device automatically recognized by all Operating Systems (Windows/Mac/Linux). It is provided with a unique calibration file based on the serial number. Time to finally focus on your measurements with three simple steps: Unpack, Plug, Measure!

No more mic preamp, no more phantom power, no more sound card calibrations... and USB Plug 'n' Play.

JohnM is currently working on a few tweaks to make using the UMIK-1 with REW a real convenience, however it can be used with REW as it is now.

See also: Using the UMIK-1 and REW with HDMI output

Cost is $75 and that includes the calibration file.

The following measurements show a comparison of the three mics I have on hand, the UMIK-1, IBF Akustik EMM-8 and the Behringer ECM8000.

These measurements are from a first use and quick setup of a Denon 4520 receiver that I am currently reviewing. It has been setup with Audyssey XT32, but not fully optimized for my HT room. I will get into more of that later with my review, but I wanted to at least get the mic comparison out of the way.

This is not a professional lab test my any means, although care was taken to do the best I could to get the mics equally aligned. There are no doubt some minor variances due to an imperfect test, but it is sufficient to show that the UMIK-1 is a worthy choice, especially taking into account the ease of use with REW.

All mic measurements were adjusted to align at 100Hz.

Here is a comparison between my IBF EMM-8 (calibrated in Germany) vs my ECM8000 (calibrated by Cross-Spectrum Labs):

Text White Line Plot Pattern

Calibrated in two different parts of the world, I have to believe these are fairly accurate.

Next we add in the UMIK-1:

Text White Line Plot Pattern

I also wanted to compare my external USB sound card that I have been using with the HDMI output on my laptop. Here is that comparison using the UMIK-1 mic:

Text Line Green Pattern Plot

Here are all three mics with the additional HDMI output measurement included:

Text Green White Line Blue

I am of the opinion that if you have an HDMI output on your computer, purchasing nothing more than the UMIK-1 and HDMI cable makes for a very simple setup to use with REW. No external sound card is needed, no mic preamp, and no SPL meter is needed. Even if you do not have HDMI, the UMIK-1 is still a worthy consideration... and would be my choice of mics.

I did try the headphone output, but I could never get the controls set so that they were not effecting the output signal and could not get an accurate output measurement. The HDMI output was much simpler to work with anyway.

See less See more
#2 ·
To use the UMIK-1 with REW (on Windows) in advance of the next REW beta (which will take care of all the following for you, along with some other things):

- Plug in the mic
- Start REW
- On the soundcard preferences make sure you are using the Java driver selection and select UMIK-1 as the input device and MICROPHONE as the input.
- On the Mic/meter preferences tab make sure you select "Mic or Z weighted SPL meter" as the input type and use the browse button to load the UMIK cal file.
- On the Analysis preferences make sure "Use loopback as timing reference" is not selected

The UMIK-1 can handle signal levels up to 130dB, but that means at normal measurement levels you will get warnings from REW about the input level being low. You can ignore those warnings.

The current version of REW cannot access the Capture volume control for USB mics, you can alter it manually if desired using the Windows recording volume mixer.

#32 ·
- Will there ever be a way ( & are you able to create a soft-patch within future releases of REW ) to use these new USB based microphones in conjunction with, REW's option to "Use loopback as a timing reference" ?
It might be possible to use ASIO4All to make a composite ASIO device that uses another soundcard path for the loopback return, but I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

#8 ·
Another knockout calibrated mic offering. Wow, it used to take upwards of $300 for a factory calibrated mic plus an interface, now all you have to do is get out of one dinner date with the significant other, and you are set. Except for the fallout.

The timing loop back question is a good one. Perhaps MiniDSP can provide their converter delay time, add in "standard" USB buffering time, and have REW subtract those out automatically... Assuming no significant time variables. Just thinking out loud, certainly John already has a plan in mind.

#9 ·
So I have a Mac and am completely new to all of this, but I should be able to install REW, buy this mic and plug it in via USB and away I go? Is it easier to generate test tones via a tone generator CD (I use one of these now with an SPL meter) or should I use my Mac to do that which means I need to connect to my receiver/amp?

#10 ·
So I went to the post office today and picked up my UMIK-1. Apparently when miniDSP ships it to you they require a signature for delivery. Once I got home and started to unpack it, I must say I was sorely disappointed in what I saw. Not with the actual product, but with the care in which this product was packed. As you can see below there was nothing protecting the carrying case except a thin cardboard shell. Because of this my tab that is supposed to keep it shut was snapped off, the case was open a bit when I opened the box, it is cracked in multiple places, and the bottom is scuffed to no end. Definitely a much different experience than when I opened my calibrated Behringer mic.

As to the mic and accessories, I'm extremely happy with them. The mic has a nice weight to it and is fairly similar to the Behringer, albeit a bit smaller. The small stand is a nice touch and the USB cord feels substantial, if a bit short. I plugged the mic into my macbook pro and it was immediately recognized. Fired up REW and opened the MIDI audio controller and I was able to adjust the gain, add the cal file and it worked first time. There were zero issues, no drivers or software, and nothing else to do except calibrate the REW SPL meter with the new mic. Absolutely fantastic.

#15 ·
So I went to the post office today and picked up my UMIK-1. Apparently when miniDSP ships it to you they require a signature for delivery. Once I got home and started to unpack it, I must say I was sorely disappointed in what I saw. Not with the actual product, but with the care in which this product was packed. As you can see below there was nothing protecting the carrying case except a thin cardboard shell. Because of this my tab that is supposed to keep it shut was snapped off, the case was open a bit when I opened the box, it is cracked in multiple places, and the bottom is scuffed to no end. Definitely a much different experience than when I opened my calibrated Behringer mic.

As to the mic and accessories, I'm extremely happy with them. The mic has a nice weight to it and is fairly similar to the Behringer, albeit a bit smaller. The small stand is a nice touch and the USB cord feels substantial, if a bit short. I plugged the mic into my macbook pro and it was immediately recognized. Fired up REW and opened the MIDI audio controller and I was able to adjust the gain, add the cal file and it worked first time. There were zero issues, no drivers or software, and nothing else to do except calibrate the REW SPL meter with the new mic. Absolutely fantastic.
Fuzz, this sounds really promising for a newbie who owns nothing but Mac's and Linux boxes. What I am not clear on is that I assume you need a connection from your Mac to an amp/receiver to generate the test tones? What cable do you use? I am using an iMac and my understanding is that I don't need an external sound card for this mic..

#12 ·
I'll try, but recently my REW measurements with the behringer mic have been restricted to when I'm running parallels and there's a nasty delay which can effect the measurements a bit, but worth a shot.

#14 ·
Ordered late December 2nd, so let's call it December 3rd. Didn't ship until December 5th-6th, then took 5 days to get to my door, although probably would've taken four since delivery was attempted on a Monday.

#19 ·
I used the "contact us" form on their website this morning after I opened everything up, but am still waiting for a response.

I also talked to another guy who just got his today and it was fine. Arrived in perfect condition. Lucky duck.

#21 ·
Hi All, new to the forum. I used the PE OmniMic for a bit (borrowed from a friend) and was going to buy one but found this instead. I was shipped yesterday. I have no idea how to use REW so I need to dig into that.

I am looking forward to hearing the answer to sdurani question.

#24 ·
No problem, enjoy the mic. If you have any problems just contact miniDSP. I had an issue and they are working with me to get it all sorted out.

#25 · (Edited)
I use a USB mic and it works very well with my laptop sound card (which i was able to do a calibration file as well)?

To calibrate my laptops sound card (Vista OS) i had to disengage the effects, then it all worked.
The laptop had a headphone out + mic in.

Also had to change to a single sweep. (for my mic i did).

Adjust the levels in & out (mine is set to 50 mic + 60 speaker (headphone) out.

#26 · (Edited)
I received my UMIK a couple of days ago, and whilst it works exactly as advertised with the WIndows version of REW, it seems to have a few issues with the Mac version. Which is a little disappointing as that is why I bought it.

When using it with OS X Lion and my Mac Mini, it defaults to 48K format and I had to change the sample rate to 48K in REW. However, whilst I could make a measurement, there was something drastically wrong with the FR, with a massive roll-off below 1khz.

I replicated this with my Macbook Air.

After some fiddling about, I found that if I switch the sample length in the measurement window from 256K to 128K the FR was as expected and the same as the Windows version.

However, the question is what effect reducing the sample length will have on accuracy?

That aside, the calibrated response seems to be more accurate than my uncalibrated ECM8000, especially at the top.

Fuzzmeasure seemed to be fine.

Here's a pic of the issue with a 256K sample length.

Attachments

#29 · (Edited)
However, the question is what effect reducing the sample length will have on accuracy?
Longer sample length gives better signal-to-noise ratio, better immunity from the effects of minor background noise. Using the multiple sweep option is another way to get the same effect.

Edit: I have no explanation for the weird frequency response with the 256K sample length, that is a head scratcher. Have you gotten the same result more then once that way?

#30 ·
UMIK on top calibrated behringer on the bottom.

EMP-E-41B/Crown XLS2500/macbook pro soundcard

#34 ·
Indeed. In spite of the issues I've mentioned, the performance of the mic seems great.

My ECM8000 is not individually calibrated, and the generic REW cal file actually makes the response worse. The Umik out of the box does not have its deficiencies and tracks my calibrated ARC mic well.

Once you add the cal file it feels even more trustworthy.

My only other beef is the short USB cable. 2m is nowhere near enough.

#37 ·
UMIK on the top Behringer on the bottom, this time in the sub frequencies. Outlaw LFM-1 EX. I also had the sub connected to an anti-mode dual core. I'm still getting the hang of the anti-mode, but you get the idea. Pretty similar.

1m

1in

LP

#39 ·
A few db, a few Hz, nothing too significant. I know I read somewhere the UMIK-1 has more information in the cal file, but don't quote me on that.

#40 ·
As a quick update, I contacted miniDSP about getting a new box and they told me it would be easier to just send me a new mic, but that I'd have to return the one I have. I asked them a question about the return process and they haven't responded since. It's been about about a day since I sent the e-mail, hopefully they get back to me soon so we can get this over with.

#46 ·
Hi all.

Recently received the Umik1 and I am having some problems with my setup in Rew. I have loaded the Mic's Cal file into the REW system and it is recognised

This is what I have.

PC running SOtM PCIe USB3 into USB into Audiophilleo2 into NAD digital Amp. The driver for the SOtM is it's own design. I use JRiver V16 and it runs in Inclusive use with the AP2.

When I go to REW preferences to set up have the following..

Soundcard -

I can select 44.1 - output is Audiophilleo2 - input is Mic Umik1

Using - Main speaker to check levels

Calibration file is - Umik 1

Mic/Metre

C-Weighted ticked (no Z weight available on screen)
Cal file is selected as - Umik1.cal

Analysis - loop back 'Un-ticked"

I can get audio out through my speakers but I get no input reading on either left or right meters

I have nothing to adjust the levels with via the Audiophilleo2.

My soundcard is a realtek but it is bypassed in this config.

Any suggestions?

Regards Cazzesman

#47 ·
This might not be it at all, if you are using a USB3 interface for the UMIK-1, I have heard elsewhere that some audio devices do not play well with USB3. You would think that with backward compatibility there should be no issues, but others have had trouble running USB2 devices into USB3. Do you have a USB2 that you can try it with? As I said, not a guaranteed fix, just something to try. That is all that comes to mind for me.

Best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.