Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

316K views 886 replies 155 participants last post by  Wayne A. Pflughaupt 
#1 ·
MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone

MiniDSP is a sponsor here at Home Theater Shack!

The UMIK-1 is an omni-directional USB measurement microphone providing Plug & Play acoustic measurement. From speaker & room acoustic measurement to recording, this microphone provides low noise and accurate results you can rely on. Forget about driver installation, OS compatibility and un-calibrated mics. The Umik-1 is a USB Audio class 1 device automatically recognized by all Operating Systems (Windows/Mac/Linux). It is provided with a unique calibration file based on the serial number. Time to finally focus on your measurements with three simple steps: Unpack, Plug, Measure!

No more mic preamp, no more phantom power, no more sound card calibrations... and USB Plug 'n' Play.

JohnM is currently working on a few tweaks to make using the UMIK-1 with REW a real convenience, however it can be used with REW as it is now.

See also: Using the UMIK-1 and REW with HDMI output

Cost is $75 and that includes the calibration file.

The following measurements show a comparison of the three mics I have on hand, the UMIK-1, IBF Akustik EMM-8 and the Behringer ECM8000.

These measurements are from a first use and quick setup of a Denon 4520 receiver that I am currently reviewing. It has been setup with Audyssey XT32, but not fully optimized for my HT room. I will get into more of that later with my review, but I wanted to at least get the mic comparison out of the way.

This is not a professional lab test my any means, although care was taken to do the best I could to get the mics equally aligned. There are no doubt some minor variances due to an imperfect test, but it is sufficient to show that the UMIK-1 is a worthy choice, especially taking into account the ease of use with REW.

All mic measurements were adjusted to align at 100Hz.

Here is a comparison between my IBF EMM-8 (calibrated in Germany) vs my ECM8000 (calibrated by Cross-Spectrum Labs):

Text White Line Plot Pattern

Calibrated in two different parts of the world, I have to believe these are fairly accurate.

Next we add in the UMIK-1:

Text White Line Plot Pattern

I also wanted to compare my external USB sound card that I have been using with the HDMI output on my laptop. Here is that comparison using the UMIK-1 mic:

Text Line Green Pattern Plot

Here are all three mics with the additional HDMI output measurement included:

Text Green White Line Blue

I am of the opinion that if you have an HDMI output on your computer, purchasing nothing more than the UMIK-1 and HDMI cable makes for a very simple setup to use with REW. No external sound card is needed, no mic preamp, and no SPL meter is needed. Even if you do not have HDMI, the UMIK-1 is still a worthy consideration... and would be my choice of mics.

I did try the headphone output, but I could never get the controls set so that they were not effecting the output signal and could not get an accurate output measurement. The HDMI output was much simpler to work with anyway.

See less See more
#533 · (Edited)
I also applaud MiniDSP for "manning up" to their difficulties and accepting returns of the older UMIK-1 mics for full refund, as stated in the update on their forum. It is the right move, and a good start to restoring overall confidence in the brand.

Edit: The following post answers quite clearly any question about MiniDSP's intentions to dispose of the returned mics and not refurbish them. MiniDSP is doing all the right things to correct the UMIK-1 situation.

#534 ·
@ monomer,

I appreciate that you're upset and you've been a bit of a "voice" of this thread, however there are some wordings and some misinterpretations that you're making on our company that I'd like to point out for the sake of communicating with the HTshack community. I've been blamed by some of you to not respond to this thread and being silent. Truth is much simpler, I don't have much time for forum readings these days and my team really uses the miniDSP forum as a way to communicate for all issues. If there is some issues/questions you'd like to raise, easiest is to contact miniDSP directly. We're more than happy to answer all inquiries as we've done since the company's inception. Thanks for your understanding.

1) The talks of product recalls have been made for quite a while. People in the know our board of advisors (including John @ REW), management team and the microphone supplier can tell you as much. For you to imply that we only responded to your threat is a bit of an overestimation I guess... It took long for a simple reason, because we were trying to see if we could work something out with our supplier. That's really ALL there is to read here I'm afraid.

2) We proposed complete refund, including all shipping cost. In other words, this story will not cost you a cent. I'm really not sure what else at this point we can do to help? Did you send you request for a refund yet? Your previous email mentioned that you wanted a new mic instead...

3) The statement that you're making that we're "refurbishing" microphone is so far of that it's quite offensive to our standards. For the past 4 years that this startup operates, we haven't shipped a SINGLE product that is refurbished. Not One. You're more than welcome to come for a visit if you'd like to see by yourself :). The ONLY reason why we're asking the microphone body to be returned (in a padded envelope if you read the thread correctly so very much prone to damage in other words) is because we want the mics to not end up being resold in the field. I don't see how that's not standard practice for any manufacturers to ask a product to be returned? That's ALL there is to read here once again. Microphones will be trashed when returned as we don't wan't to pay for additional cost. Little to know for most of you is that this product runs with very low margins. We really did it to help the miniDSP and REW community get an affordable microphone. Anybody with a bit of math, electronic and manufacturing knowledge can do the math on the tiny profit we did here. Doing a "refurb" doesn't even make sense.

As always, we're happy to answer any questions you have but I'd appreciate if you would first try to please not misinterpret some facts and such as "UMIK-1 will refurbished". We're happy to tell you why that will not be the case, just ask..It's a bit counter-intuitive to get ask by HTshack moderators to get involved in this thread, yet when we read the comments and misinterpretations, it's hard to keep our cool... :unbelievable:

That's all for today, wishing you all a good week end,

Best Regards
Tony
MD @ miniDSP

#535 · (Edited)
This matter has been settled for the most part with your offer of a full refund. I have not 'applied' for one just yet only because I've been quite busy this week. I teach for a living and we are winding up the semester, that is a time of increased work load for me. Suffice it to say I will send in my request this weekend but will not be able to actually go to the post office until Thursday next week. I am pleased you are offering a full refund to your customers as I believe it is the right thing to do. I had no idea you were planning this for a while now since you don't tell us these things, they just spring up seemingly out of nowhere. I believe it was mere coincidence that just so happened to follow my terse email to you... but you should be able to understand from my perspective of how this all looked. What you don't seem to grasp is the position you place your customers in when you don't respond regularly to emails and postings in your own help forums. What else are we to do? You have our money, there are major issues with the product you sent to us... we waited patiently so long that any recourse of dispute through the credit card company or paypal has since expired... you've basically got us over a barrel. We are out the money and didn't get what we paid for and can't get anyone to respond... surely you can see how frustrating that is. All that's left at our disposal is to make some noise on the Internet. To find out that you've been shipping what seems to be properly working UMIKs (at least 100 of them so far) without addressing the defective ones we have been forced to hang on to doesn't sit well with me and I had to do something, thus I sent you that threatening email with a deadline and it just so happens that was exactly before you released the resolution options publicly. You can see how that looks don't you? and why I misinterpreted it to mean I forced your hand. My mistake as you apparently had already planned to do this. I apologize.

During this whole issue with these second batch UMIKs I chose to use postings both here and on your UMIK help forum to make you aware of the problems and in seeking answers... only three times have I resorted to direct emails. The first email was only paritally answered (having to do with below 20Hz response) the other question about a return wasn't address by you at all. The second email went unanswered. The final email, the one I sent Sunday, I got a reply directing me to your just released announcement of a refund option. And for that I thank you.

We are all busy people and have jobs to do but in your case answering your customers in a timely fashion IS your job... or I think at least it should be viewed as such. If you see it the same way, then there really are no excuses... and failing to do so can lead to misunderstandings... so who is to blame if that turns out to be the case? your customers?

I specifically added a section entitled "My Thoughts" to that posting over on your help forum seeking to find out if it was your intention to 'recycle' the UMIKs you receive... do you remember your response? did you deny it then? did you make your intentions for those UMIKs known? This is what I'm talking about... only after the fact, when you are forced into a corner do you offer up information that your customers would like to know and need in order to make decisions. I apologize since recycling those UMIKs was apparently not your intention after all but I did make the effort to find out first. So what you are saying is first and second batch customers could get a full refund on their returned UMIKs and then place an order for another UMIK and receive a properly calibrated third batch UMIK guaranteed? If so, then why didn't you simply offer to cross-ship an exchange in the first place? ...remember? this was what I asked for. Its very confusing... so if I make statements that you don't agree with then you need to respond with a correction when I ask the question otherwise what else am I to think?

I don't wish for this discourse to go on any further as it can only harm any working relationships you might have with sponsors etc and that was never my intention... I only wanted a properly calibrated and working UMIK within a reasonable amount of time. I'm very sorry it had to turn into all of this unpleasantness and the kicker is I'll never know if I was responsible for speeding up the process or not. The only thing any of us have to go by is what you tell us... when you decide to tell us that is. If you wish to continue this conversation, let's agree to do it through the PM system or through email... you've got my address. Now that there is a resolution recourse we should be able to put this all behind and move forward.

#536 ·
Greg,

I guess that it seems like we won't be able to answer all your needs no matter how we try. We're sorry about this... :sad:

Sometimes we don't answer to all details raised in a thread, that's very possible.... Some of the people answering our forum just don't know how we plan to manage the company, future of product recall. My post above just wanted to clarify that we never planned to recycle any boards and never made that assumption. That's all there is to read as we're not being "cornered" and changing our mind... Not sure how you're thinking we're that evil! :devil: I can treat you for a beer at a next tradeshow if you'd like to see that we're not out to get you!! :D

Anyway, as you mention, I indeed believe that it's best that we close the issue. Email us when you get a chance and we'll proceed to the complete refund as promised.

Have a good week end,

Tony

#537 · (Edited)
I appreciate that you're upset and you've been a bit of a "voice" of this thread, however there are some wordings and some misinterpretations that you're making on our company that I'd like to point out for the sake of communicating with the HTshack community. I've been blamed by some of you to not respond to this thread and being silent. Truth is much simpler, I don't have much time for forum readings these days and my team really uses the miniDSP forum as a way to communicate for all issues. If there is some issues/questions you'd like to raise, easiest is to contact miniDSP directly. We're more than happy to answer all inquiries as we've done since the company's inception. Thanks for your understanding.
As a business probally would make sense to make time and understand/learn customer/service needs?

#539 ·
Okay, so how did you get it over to them? I just got back from our local post office. They said it would cost $25 to ship it by registered mail!!! $12.50 to ship it to Hong Kong from Michigan and ANOTHER $12.50 to send it registered!!! Then they also tell me it can't be send by registered mail in a padded envelope, must be in a cardboard box!! this apparently is USPS rules on sending registered packages. Since miniDSP is asking for it to be send registered and in a padded envelope and the shipping cost to be less than $20, I'm stymied. How were you able to meet their requirements for the return? What's the secret?

#540 · (Edited)
Okay, NOW I think I know what the deal is...

This is from their website:
c) In an effort to prevent a faulty microphone to stay in the field, the old microphone body (not accessories) must be shipped back to us before the refund is processed. It must be send via standard registered airmail (e.g. USPS, AirMail) in a padded envelope. You should take a picture of the receipt for the postage cost (used for refund). In some countries, cost of shipping will not make sense (e.g. higher than 20USD). We ask you to contact us in that case.

This is from their email:
STEP2: Ship the microphone back to us using standard AirMail. In a padded enveloppe, using the local post (E.g. USPS), the shipment cost should be cost effective knowing that the microphone is less than 200gm weight. If the cost is higher than 20USD, please get in touch with us since we it will not make financial sense to get the microphone back. We will provide steps to discard the microphone.

Upon closer inspection I now notice there's been a change from what's on the website and what's in the email they sent me... I bolded the difference. Apparently they have dropped the requirement of sending it as a registered package. So... I'm off on another trip back to the post office... wish me luck.

#541 ·
Yes, it's not necessary to send it registered airmail. It's funny but they credited my paypal account just a day after I sent it back. I emailed them a photo of the shipping receipt and followed their direction completely. I was very surprised to get my refund before the package could have been delivered. The shipping charge was about $15.

#542 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. I just got back from the Post Office... its now in the mail, on its way to Hong Kong. The desk clerk estimated it would take 6-10 days to get there but you know the Post Office, there are no guarantees. Cost was $1.49 for the padded envelope and $12.75 for the shipping, I stuck copies of the receipts in the envelope with the UMIK and just now sent them an email with the attached scanned copies of the receipts... it sounds redundant but its what they are requesting... I will post back here the moment I get confirmation of a refund into my PayPal account.

#543 ·
That's sounds like good service to me..what we as consumers have to understand is that there is a lot of effort going on in the background that we are completely unaware of, and many companies simply don't have the time of manpower to update us every step of the way..it's tougher than it looks from our perspective.

I will likely send my mic back, and order a 3rd generation mic if that's a viable option..I haven't had time to email MiniDSP to find out, but it's on the list.

#544 ·
I have one of the first generation UMIK-1's with the original calibration file and it to the best of my knowledge has worked OK. Are they asking for all the UMIK's back for a refund or only the second generation?

#545 · (Edited)
...Are they asking for all the UMIK's back for a refund or only the second generation?
This is not a recall... they are not asking for returns of UMIKs. If you are satisfied with your UMIK's performance then do nothing. What they are offering is an option to return your UMIK for a refund if you are not satisfied with its performance... there is another option for those with a "noisy" UMIK, you can alternatively choose to receive an upgraded board that you simply solder in replacing the original board. This is for first batch and second batch UMIKs as third batch UMIKs already have the revised board design. Again this is NOT a recall, if you are satisfied with your UMIK then you do nothing. These measures were implemented to satisfy those of us who've had an issue.

#546 ·
I have never measured my downstairs system which has a sub with variable tuning from 18hz to 35hz so I thought this would be a good place to check the accuracy of my UMIK-1. Turns out it does not make much of a difference at all, the UMIK is not measuring correctly down low, my SMS-1 is picking up the different tuning points though. Now I know that my friends Omni-mic was the one that was more accurate when we were comparing, I thought my UMIK-1 was because of the 5hz calibration.

I have went ahead and contacted MiniDSP for a return.......blahhhh

#550 ·
I forgot to add this after I received my UMIK from CSL but better late than never. Here are the two cal files overlaid. The dark line is CSL (0 degree narrow band) and the light one is Mini DSP.

#553 ·
Big thanks to this thread and for everyone who helped on it. I would have never known my calibration file down to 5hz was off on my first gen Umik and just received my refund from MiniDSP.

That's really good customer service from them and they will continue to get my business in the future.

A little off topic but has anyone used there OpenDRC products? I was particularly interested in the Analog version that has actual XLR inputs and outputs and comes as a more complete version than the normal MiniDSP balanced. Just looking for DSP control over my subs for an LT and such without the hassles of finding the right power supply and hooking up phoenix connectors.

#574 ·
I've spent a little time getting around to this and was looking at the UMM-6.... but the UMIK looks like the go. Order placed & thank you for providing the additional calibration mate. Very much appreciated & can't wait to get system sorted again (moved from carpeted apartment to wooden floor house.... lol).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.