Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Audyssey Pro Installer Kit - Demystified!

155K views 166 replies 17 participants last post by  jmschnur 
#1 ·
Thanks to Sonnie, I had the opportunity to order the Audyssey MultEQ Pro Calibration Kit. I was very reluctant to order it because I wasn't sure just exactly how valuable it would be as a tool. Part of my early frustration was that it seemed like there wasn't much information about it publicly available, even though it's available for purchase to end-users. Some dealers might give you a break, and some want/demand full MSRP.

I have an Onkyo PR-SC886P preamp w/an Emotiva UPA-7. Most of my speakers are currently Polk. I had read that there were problems with the early 1.1 firmware on the Onkyo 886, so thanks to some other forum members I was able to get it successfully upgraded before attempting to calibrate.

To use the kit, you have to register on the Audyssey Installer site (http://installer.audyssey.com) with the serial number that's included with the kit. Audyssey actually includes the serial on the box the kit comes in, the mic, the preamp, and the CD. Strangely, my CD had a mismatched serial which was different from the serial that was shared by all the other components. I contacted Auddysey and the answer I received was that it was probably just mistake during kit assembly. It would have been more of a problem (as the CD contains the mic calibration), but Audyssey allows you to download mic calibration files for any serial number.

The kit actually contains a wealth of toys:
A nice zipper/handle bag to carry everything in
MultEQ Pro Application Setup CD and Setup Guide
Calibrated Preamplifier w/power adapter
Calibrated Microphone (APM-1)
Microphone Stand (A nice Samson adjustable boom stand)
Mini-XLR to RCA Adapter
Mini-XLR to XLR-Female
Mini-XLR to XLR-Male
Three Mini-XLR Cables (I believe 25')
USB to RS232 Serial Cable
10 ft. USB Cable

The next post has pictures of the kit.

I'll offer my brief thoughts:
1. Zipper bag: Cool, adds a touch of professionalism for installers
2. Calibrated preamp: Simple enough Preamp. Has an external power supply, two mini-XLR connectors and a power LED. I actually like the simplicity, because there are no knobs or anything to screw up.
3. Calibrated microphone: Small but seems well built. It's metal with a mini-XLR connector. Audyssey includes an calibration file, but unfortunately it's in a proprietary encrypted format that can only be used with the Audyssey software. Cross Spectrum Labs can calibrate it, if desired, if you want to use it for other programs.
4. Microphone stand: Nice Samson boom mic. Adjustable, seems solid.
5. The included adapters: The miniXLR-RCA is used to connect the preamp out on my 886. The other ones (I believe) are used with other AVRs and Audyssey standalone products. I like the mini-XLR to XLR-Female because that allows me to use the same cabling and preamp with my calibrated EMM-6 for other purposes.
6. Mini-XLR cables: Nice that there are 3. 1 for Mic, 1 for preamp-AVR, and 1 extra for whatever.
7. USB to RS232 cable: It works. Requires the supplied drivers on the CD, wish it was longer. I had to use a RS-232 extension cable that I had kicking around because the USB->RS232 cable is relatively short.
8. Gooseneck adapter: There is a flexible gooseneck to hold the mic. My one gripe is that I wish it was stiffer. It felt like any time I bumped anything the adapter would flex.

I have some pictures of the bag/gear which I'll upload later.

Prior to calibration, you need to purchase a license (via the site) that's model specific. You then create a key (for that license) that's specific to the device. You can always generate new keys for later calibrations, but license is always tied to that single device. After the license is purchased (but prior to creating key) you can change the license type to another model.

Basic run through:
1. Mount the mic on the stand
2. Run a mini-XLR cable from the mic to the preamp
3. Connect the preamp to the AVR. In my case, I wanted to know ahead of time how to cable it. On the Onkyo PR-SC886P you connect the pre-amp out to the LEFT input of AUX 1 on the back of the 886. My minor gripe is that the 886 has a *front* Aux2 input, so not sure why it must be plugged into the back.
4. Connect RS-232 port on 886 via the serial->USB adapter to laptop
5. Install, Launch the Multi-EQ Pro software
6. Select the brand of the device
7. Enter key from website
8. Enter customer info, etc.
9. Start measurements. I believe that you can take up to 16, if I remember correctly. After each position, it takes 3-4 minutes to transfer from the AVR to the laptop. You CAN however, save each position, and later load it which I thought was very cool.

Some screenshots:
Transferring responses from the 886 to the laptop (From measurement)

Measuring Position 3

Measuring Position 4 (Note: You can continue after barebones 3 measurements)

Calculating filters/crossovers after all measurements are complete

Detection Results w/crossovers and distance

Target Sound Options (Picking a curve)

Target Curve Designer (You can assign a different curve to every single channel!, I thought it was cool)

Target Curve Editor (Note the limit of 3db on the filters, unfortunately)

Writing the filters from the laptop to the 886:

I went through 3 measurements last night, and that's about as far as I got - so no real comments as far as improved performance.

I have to say though, that if you're looking for a step up from the cheapie mic that's included, I think that this kit is excellent! The software is pretty much idiot proof, it's easy to cable it, and it's mostly just a matter of investing the time to do measurements to make it work. Any cons that I see with the kit are really relatively trivial.

Part of why I wanted to play with it was because you can select a target curve and then tweak it. I wish that you could edit more than -/+ 3db, but I understand since the purpose of Audyssey is to get it closer to flat, rather than color the response.

Questions and comments are welcome!

See less See more
#7 ·
Great write up Jim!!! I'm hoping to get to mine this weekend (the next if not) and will add my comments! :T

Just an aside, my label also was coming off my mic like the both of yours. I used clear shrink wrap to cover it.

#10 ·
Hi,

I owned the pro kit for a few years now and just love it. The most recent software upgrades added the target curve editor which I think is great. But there is one problem, I really don't know how to use it. I don't know whether I should be raising or lowering the grips (I think that is what they call them). Is there somewhere I could read up on and learn how to adjust the curves for each speaker that will maximize the performance and sound of each speaker. I would really appreciate some guidance on this.

Thanks,

Matnick

#16 ·
It's all about preference. That's a big reason why Audyssey offers the different target slopes. Some people want a steeper roll off than others..

I don't feel like the +/- 3db is enough to really let you do a good house curve for bass.... but is probably enough to tweak things if something sounds a little off.

After spending too much time reading the Audyssey Master thread ( I think that's what it's called anyway) at AVS, the moral of the story is that some people don't like a flat EQ, thus the flexibility to tweak it to sound how you like.

#11 ·
Works great with my 80.2. I really like the ability to trim the treble a bit up in my vantages. I think it is straight forward. Just click on the region you want to adjust. The frequency is shown on right and raise or lower. Click on another domain for limitation of the effect.

You must identify the speakers you want the effect for 1 for left front 2 for center etc. This are shown in the beginning of the program after you have logged in

#12 ·
Thanks, I think I understand the mechanics on how to make the changes, I guess I need to learn more about what changes to make. I don't know where to start, what changes to make. I want to learn by reading the graphs results after calibration, exactly what changes to make to improve the sound.

#13 · (Edited)
Audyssey cuts treble. You might play with raising you left and right speakers from 8k or so about 1.5 db. For my Vantages the mid bass correction that Audessey puts in does not d as good as without it so I took it out. Gives a more "airy" sound stage.

Also look at your subwoofer graph and see if any small tweaks might help.

Then listen

#19 ·
Ahh.. I see what you're saying. I think you explained it well. Well, the editor shows the frequency range, low on the left, high on the right. And it shows steps of say, 1K, 5K, 10K.

What ranges go to your midrange or tweeter depend on the crossover built into the speaker. But if the speaker has a tweeter, I would probably say that 5K+ is probably a safe range to say goes to the tweeter. If you want to add some points to the woofer, go for the left, midrange, somewhere near the left/middle, and tweeter on the right.

When I say roll off, what I mean is the downward slope. When there is a downward slope towards the right, that's a roll off on the high frequencies. The steeper the "hill" the quieter the high frequencies will be (the more they are attenuated)- as you get higher and higher.

You can see some different examples of how it can equalize the high frequencies here:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=6577

The SMPTE option has the biggest impact on lowering the levels of high frequencies.

#23 ·
Sorry Kal, I hope I didn't come off as mocking Audyssey Pro.

I was just wondering if there was an simple way to revert back to XT32 settings from Pro so the differences would be easier to hear. This will be my first time using Pro so unsure what to expect.

#25 ·
I believe there is a way to switch back to XT32 by storing all your settings before running Pro. After Pro, you can switch back to XT32 but, then, getting Pro back would require running Pro (although without the measurement stage). Tedious.

#26 ·
Thanks for the tips Kal.

I will probably just run through my favorite tracks and take notes. Then I will have something to compare after Pro calibration. I will also compare the 886 to the 5508 before and after Pro, maybe the 886 can provide even more insight when comparing the Pro calibrated 5508?

Anyone else have experience on what kind of improvements you got from the Pro calibration?

#28 · (Edited)
Mike,

It'll be good to get your opinions on your comparison.

Jim,

Did you do any more calibrations?

I have two XT AVR's in house to compare with one XT32. The XT versions are NAD T785 and Denon 4310CI, the XT32 is the Denon A100 (same as the 4311CI).

#32 ·
I'm really curious to see how your comparisons pan out.

I have thought about getting a standalone Sound Equalizer to go with my 886, but it's probably more sensible to upgrade to a new AVR that supports XT32.

But yeah, I'd love to see how they perform differently in the real world. I'm sure that each new version is incrementally better, but I can't imagine twice the power means twice the improvement. I imagine that subwoofer EQ probably benefits the most, since that's always difficult.

#33 ·
Jim,

In my opinion in my room, I already could tell a pretty big difference from XT to XT32. XT32 just seems much more seemless as far as the blend to the subs and created a much more enveloping sound stage. It may not make that much of a difference in a 'good room' that is acoustically treated but I can't judge that part, just what I can hear in my room. This is XT32 without the Pro-Kit. For me, well worth the upgrade. I had the SVS AS-EQ1 to handle multiple subs (very impressive unit by the way), but sold it when I got an XT32 AVR. The AS-EQ1 did a bit better in the bass, but I can probably attribute that to the fact that with the standard measurements in the AVR, you can only take 8 measurements and the AS-EQ1 can take 32 (I used all of them). I have a feeling with the Pro-Kit that it will more then level the playing field and even do better as it also optimizes the XO. I can't wait to see (hear) what it can accomplish. I'll get to it as soon as I can.

#35 ·
I just finished up hopefully my final Pro cal for this week, went through it 3 times to make changes and finally have something that I am happy with. Too bad it's late and I got a busy day tomorrow, only had a chance to listen to one disc but it was the one that didn't sound right but now it sounds great. Hopefully tomorrow everything else sounds just as good:praying:

Hey Jim. I know you have the 886 and you know I have one as well that I have been comparing. Before doing the Pro calibration I did listen to the 886 again and while the 5508 is better musically the 886 is still great for movies and I bet with the Pro calibration it would be even closer. If I wasn't in escrow right now for a house that could accommodate 2 systems then I would just stick with the 886 for now and wait to upgrade to a 5509. I am going to keep the 886 and probably spring for the Pro license on it as well if this escrow will ever close. While I have never been the biggest fan of the 886 for music it is killer with movies, I bet with the right tweaking of Pro it would be killer for music too. I just wanted to add that since as much as I like the 5508 I would have been fine waiting for the 5509 or whatever the next one is called since it is only a few months out.

I will add some more comments tomorrow on the Pro when I have had more time to listen.

#36 ·
Update on the Audyssey Pro calibration.

Yesterday I spent more time listening and tweaking. I had initially added a slight house curve, you can only vary by +/-3db, but I decided to take it off. I also went back and forth with keeping the suggested midrange compensation (mid comp from here on out) but in the end I would up keeping it off. I did read Audyssey's thought's on mid comp and that in most speaker designs it makes voices sound more natural but in my case it was the opposite. I am using Emerald Physics CS2 speakers for my mains right now and they use a Behringer DCX2496 as a crossover and EQ as well as some other things. Since it uses an active crossover I read that it has a very steep 8th order digital filter at 1000hz from the woofer to the mid/tweeter so maybe that is why most prefer the mid comp on and I don't?

I have to admit that it was a definite improvement when I removed the mid comp. When I first listened with it engaged I thought I made a mistake doing the Pro calibration as it still had a hollow/thin sound that was my main complaint. The bass has improved after Pro as well and over-all I am happy I did it. I still need to watch more movie content as so far I have spent the majority of my time listening to music which is usually secondary for me but I am enjoying it a lot more.

I will more than likely do a Pro calibration on my Onkyo 886 as well and may just do a comparison between it and the 5508. I have a feeling the 886 is not too far off the 5508 especially after a Pro calibration except for maybe music were the 5508 might have the edge. I have been seeing reports about Onkyo 08 series having problems as well so want to keep the 886 around as it has been my go to during all of this comparing.

I can't say yet how much of an improvement Audyssey Pro has made on movies as I still need to listen more. From what I have heard so far with movies it is not that big of a difference but I have only watched 2 clips. For music it has made a big improvement as I keep forgetting I am trying to evaluate the improvements and wind up listening to entire tracks and discs and just enjoying. I really think that is the best test, when something just pulls you so into the music that you forget what you were doing.

Thanks for putting up this thread Zeitgeist, it really helped to make the first pro calibration go relatively easy.

#37 ·
One thing I forgot to add:

There is a mini-xlr to rca adapter that comes with the kit and when I first plugged it in I got an error saying the mic was not connected so I pushed it in a little more and everything went fine. When I got to the part were Pro told me to disconnect the mic I had the hardest time getting it off, I thought I might need to use a pair of pliers but was afraid to pull of the RCA connector in the back of the 5508. After a little twisting and gentle rocking I was able to finally get it out but it took awhile. I did run 3 pro cal's so the 2nd and 3rd the plug came off much easier but that first time had me worried.

What I was thinking for anyone who hasn't done it yet is maybe grab and old piece of gear you don't use anymore and connect that rca adapter a few times to loosen it up a bit before connecting it to the receiver your going to calibrate. They seem to be really tight at first but loosen up a little after that so best to get it loose on something you don't care if you pull out the rca plug from.

#39 ·
Does it make that much difference for the surrounds?

So do you turn on mid comp then go into edits and add 3dbs to were the mid comp kicks in for the mains or the other way around? If I remember correctly the mid comp is a dip in the 2K hz range right?

#40 ·
One thing I think Zeitgeist mentioned and I agree with was I wish they made the Left Aux input in the front panel the spot to plug in the mic instead off the input that located in the back. Luckily it is not that hard for me to get back there but if it was located in an enclosed cabinet this would be really tough.

#41 ·
I forgot to Thank Sonnie for giving me the opportunity to order the Audyssey Pro kit as well:hail: I always appreciate all the great things he does around here. Thanks again Sonnie:clap:

#42 ·
sub_crazy said:
Does it make that much difference for the surrounds?

So do you turn on mid comp then go into edits and add 3dbs to were the mid comp kicks in for the mains or the other way around? If I remember correctly the mid comp is a dip in the 2K hz range right?
Yes I did it that way. My center is a stage and it's xover is in the 2k region Seems to be a good choice for the center. mid comp seems to be a good choice for center : better voices etc.

The Vantages are much better without mid comp.

Not sure about surrounds but rear speakers seem a bit more there when called for with mid comp These are nht ceiling. Surrounds are nht dipoles

These comments are for movies and stereo music

Need to see how it works for SACDs
I

#47 ·
I decided to make my own mid comp filter and applied it to all the speakers except the left and right mains. I had first thought to engage mid comp then make a filter to reverse it's affects for the mains but then I thought why would I want to add that much processing.

It was easy enough to make my own mid comp filter, I just placed a stationary grip at 1Khz and 3500hz then placed a grip at 2khz and lowered it 3db. The resulting filter has the same effect as the mid comp so I just added the filter to all the speakers except the mains.

I like that I can just load the the previous calibration so that I can go and make changes, you don't have to run measurements again if you are only adding filters, changing crossover points an the like. I just bring the laptop, plug in the ethernet cable. When you start the Pro software it asks for the license key again so keep it in a spot you can cut and paste quick. Once I get to the spot it asks you to check the subs I just get past that to the load measurements spot an I am ready to go.

Anybody have any useful tips or shortcuts?

One thing I had a problem with was using the USB to serial adapter on my windows 7 laptop. Luckily it was easy enough to hook up via ethernet but I am thinking maybe the USB/serial adapter is not W7 compatible?

The Pro kit is very powerful, I am really liking it:T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.