DIY setup and more - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 4 Old 08-27-14, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
My System
DIY setup and more

I've always been a tinkerer, and joining the DIY crowd was only a matter of time.

Mostly because, in the little corner of the world I reside at the moment, there is a very steep price increase on anything "luxury". So a pair of speakers sold in the US for about $1,000 will be over $2,000 here. Exception for the local brand Usher, which is much cheaper here.

Anyway, it didn't take long before I got the bug and this is where I am at.

In the spirit of giving back to the site that started it all, I'd like to share my setup if anyone needs some different ways of doing things, with the constraints I had, namely room and WAF.

Here's my setup:

L/R are DIY line arrays. 16 full range 3" drivers for each column. Soundstage is amazing for HT. I highly recommend line arrays for and expansive soundstage and the feeling of being in a huge movie theater. They may look big but they actually occupy a very small footprint (about an A4 paper) and look really nice, so WAF was reached!

Center is a big Usher center speaker. Will need to be upgraded one day, but for now, it's doing fine.

Surrounds are some company's bipolar speakers...

Subs. One is a Yamaha 315 I believe, but is only there to provide a little extra support, the main sub is a DIY folded horn designed for the TB W8-740Q using Hornresp. It goes down to 35Hz and it is very dynamic. The folded horn made it a bit more reasonable in size and again, WAF was reach with only a very small comment passed when she saw it for the first time!

I use my MacBookPro to play music or movies, with VLC or Audirvana. I tried a PC with JRiver, but my setup is even more customized than what JRiver can provide.

The MBP is hooked to a Presonus AudioBox 1818vsl. It is a concert live mixer that offers DSP control and routing over 8 channels in and 8 channels out. I already had the 1818 to play with, otherwise I was interested in the nanoAVR.

I am able to EQ the mains, the center, the surrounds and subs separately. I use a highpass on the line arrays to cut everything under 150Hz. I also use a lowpass to cut everything over 200Hz on the subs.

One of the main things I found using the 1818 was that I was able to send extra levels of the center to the mains, greatly improving the dynamics and range of that center, while adding a bit of EQ to the higher frequencies to make the dialogues cut through the ambient music or sound FX.

With that setup, I was able to hear tiny details in every movies I re-watched lately, bringing a huge grin on my face!

The addition of the 1818 was a game changer in the enjoyment of my setup. It helps design a sound response according to the various bits and pieces of hardware we have and the acoustics of the room used.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 08-29-14, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
My System
Re: DIY setup and more

Wrong place!

I'm terribly sorry. I had multiple tabs opened at the time, and in the confusion, I posted this here instead of the DIY section.

I don't know if mods or admins can move this post to the appropriate section, and I sincerely apologize for the trouble.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-29-14, 09:30 AM
Senior Shackster
My System

You know without pics it didn't happen. I have never heard line arrays and I hope to someday. Are you planning on making some subwoofers also or are you happy where its at?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-29-14, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
My System

orion wrote: View Post
You know without pics it didn't happen. I have never heard line arrays and I hope to someday. Are you planning on making some subwoofers also or are you happy where its at?
When I first posted, I figured I should add some pics...
BTW, I did mention I added a DIY folded horn sub, that is just as dynamic as the arrays.

For HT, I used to think a nice compression driver stuck on a horn suited for your room would be it, coupled with some woofers to handle the rest of the spectrum... but after hearing my arrays, I must admit that I've since changed my mind.

Arrays have a way to expand the soundstage, and give you a feeling like wearing headphones! The separation and neatness is amazing. sitting 3 to 4 meters away, the feeling is just jaw dropping. And the dynamics provided from the multiple small driver is mesmerizing. The transients are clean cut. Fast.

Ok, I mentioned pictures, right?

Here's the array as it stands... 16 drivers in each column.

The build thread is here:

Here's how they used to sound like after one week of finishing them...
I've made some improvements since using a better EQ pattern... still, they sounded pretty good then!
Use headphones to get the full effects.
Recorded on a Mac, using a Blue Microphone"s Yeti, set on stereo mode.

This is the sub I made using the TB W8-740Q. I had help from very nice people on the DIYAudio forum.

And here's the build thread:

Of course, these are not the "end-all-to-musical-nirvana"!
But I must admit that they sound really good placed in my humble abode.

diy , setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page