wiring 2 channel amp to dvc? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 06-20-08, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
tys
Senior Shackster
ty

wiring 2 channel amp to dvc?

In wiring a 2 channel amp to a dvc, do you run one channel to each coil? that just does not seem right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-20-08, 08:25 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System
Re: wiring 2 channel amp to dvc?

I recentley saw this and it will explain it for you. Hope it answers your questions.http://www.crutchfield.com/ISEO-rgbt...rs_wiring.html
post #3 of 9 Old 06-20-08, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
tys
Senior Shackster
ty

that is great.

thank you
post #4 of 9 Old 08-27-08, 07:33 PM
Senior Shackster
Jodean

huh?? that doesnt explain anything.....they are bridging a two channel amp....way different than using 2 channels of a home stereo.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-28-08, 09:29 AM
Senior Shackster
Chris

Quote:
Jodean wrote: View Post
huh?? that doesnt explain anything.....they are bridging a two channel amp....way different than using 2 channels of a home stereo.
It depends on which diagram you look at. Try this diagram for stereo subs. It will do the same thing for 2 voice coils in one driver. If the two channels are being run out of the LFE pre-out, there won't be any difference in the signal.

What equipment are you using, model numbers, etc.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-30-08, 11:16 PM
Shackster

Dan

My HT sub is currently set up like this, and yes, you wire one coil to each channel of your amp. Use an RCA Y-cable to get from LFE out on your receiver into the LR input of your stereo amp. That's basically it, easy as pie!
post #7 of 9 Old 08-31-08, 10:49 PM
Senior Shackster
Jodean

Quote:
aktiondan wrote: View Post
My HT sub is currently set up like this, and yes, you wire one coil to each channel of your amp. Use an RCA Y-cable to get from LFE out on your receiver into the LR input of your stereo amp. That's basically it, easy as pie!
ya thats how i ran my sub for awhile with a old sansui reciever.

im just sayin that the link doesnt provide any wiring for this setup at all

i assume the 80w per channel i had made 160w total, and each coil driven at 8 ohms.....but functions as a 160w 4 ohm load? not sure how that works or if the 160w 4 ohm is better or what. does it matter if two channels are driving the sub or if you have a mono amp and make it 4 ohms at the speaker...is there any performance differences?
post #8 of 9 Old 09-01-08, 02:42 AM
Senior Shackster
Chris

Quote:
Jodean wrote: View Post
ya thats how i ran my sub for awhile with a old sansui reciever.
If you're using a receiver, then yes, a y splitter is what you need to get the input to both channels. If you're using a pro amp, then it may well have a parallel switch, which will take the input to channel 1 and use it for both channels.

Quote:
im just sayin that the link doesnt provide any wiring for this setup at all
And like I said above, try this diagram. Instead of 2 drivers, wire to the 2 voice coils of your single driver.

Quote:
tenzip wrote: View Post
It depends on which diagram you look at. Try this diagram for stereo subs. It will do the same thing for 2 voice coils in one driver. If the two channels are being run out of the LFE pre-out, there won't be any difference in the signal.
Quote:
i assume the 80w per channel i had made 160w total, and each coil driven at 8 ohms.....but functions as a 160w 4 ohm load? not sure how that works or if the 160w 4 ohm is better or what. does it matter if two channels are driving the sub or if you have a mono amp and make it 4 ohms at the speaker...is there any performance differences?
If you wired each 8 ohm voice coil to it's own channel, then you had 160W, assuming each channel was able to drive 80W at 8 ohms. The impedance seen by each channel was 8 ohms, not 4, they are separate circuits, so the impedance is unchanged.

There's nothing "better" about 8 ohm vs. 4 ohm, it depends on what your amp can drive. In this particular case, with a DVC driver, (two 8 ohm coils), a mono amp that puts out 160W at 4 ohms is approximately equal to a stereo or 2 channel amp that will output 80W per channel into 8 ohms.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-01-08, 10:47 AM
Senior Shackster
Jodean

thats what i was thinking but no one ever agreed with that statement before.

thanks