Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Behringer Nu3000DSP or NU6000DSP to run dual mono?

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  muzz 
#1 ·
I need and amp to run two different subs in my HT rig. I've got a dual Parts Express 15 driver infinite baffle and a sealed Tempest sub. I would like to drive each off a different channel of the same amp. The amp would see a 4ohm load on each channel. IB drivers wired parallel and the Tempest VC wired parallel for 4 ohm loads.

I've been told that the PE drivers reach xmax with 170 watts each or a total or 340 watts together. The Tempest can do 750 on it's own. I would like to have double the power for headroom on the IB which means at least 700 watts. The Tempest will likely not be driven as hard because it will be located very close to the listening position. The same 700 watts for the Tempest should be fine.

Looking at measurements around the web on both the inuke amps it appears that output is reduced when under load. Also we know that Behringer's output claims are a bit inflated or at the least not realistic in the sub woofer band. At least not for more than a few seconds before internal limiting takes over to throttle the output.

I've even been contemplating going old school route with a class AB amp and MiniDSP instead for more available unrestricted output. But that said it's not like I play sine waves all the time. The subs will be used for HT and music duty only :) .

Anyone use the inukes like I plan to run dual mono and not bridged? Seems like to use them to their full potential they need to be run bridged. Seems like I remember seeing that the nu3000 does like 600 watts in stereo at 4ohms briefly before limiting.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
After modeling both subs in question if the specs on the 3000dsp hold true it should be more than enough power to get them past xmax in the lower sub band. Now I just hope there will be enough output after eq'ing with the current drivers. I'll be sure to update after everything is in place and tuned up.

#4 ·
The only issue I have run into with the inuke is it needs a 1.4v input signal to preform at its fullest. I know a lot of receivers and pre/pros only output .9v. I would not recommend an art clean box as they roll off way to quickly below 20 hrtz.

My first inuke 3000 ran a pair of Dayton um18-22 fairly well off each channel. But I ended up getting 1 for each sub bridged. You should be fine tho. You aren't asking for a 1000 a channel so you will be fine.

#5 ·
The only issue I have run into with the inuke is it needs a 1.4v input signal to preform at its fullest. I know a lot of receivers and pre/pros only output .9v.
Pretty much all receivers that have RCA's should be like this. I had an iNuke 6000 running directly off a Marantz SR-7009 though and it worked perfectly fine, put out enough that it could pretty much destroy an Ultimax. I've never met anybody that said it wasn't perfectly fine when using these amps. A CleanBox is typically totally unnecessary for any reason when using an iNuke and a home theater receiver, just get the XLR to RCA adapter and you're usually good.

Other amps are way worse about this. You get a big QSC with the toroidal transformer, the 4050 or something, and yeah you're going to have this issue. iNukes, typically not so much.

#7 ·
Everything I've seen on the net says the Berrys are very ez to drive, I have a 3 and a 6, and I can drive both of them easily with a Denon 988 (think 2808) or a Yammy HTR5550.
Edit:At first I used rca to XLR adapters, but I was getting hum due to the XLR adapter being 3wire internally, so I bought 1/4" mono plugs to replace the XLR- hum disappeared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.