Official SpeakerPower amplifier thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

6Likes

post #1 of 18 Old 04-03-16, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Official SpeakerPower amplifier thread

www.speakerpower.net

SpeakerPower recently released a new line of rack mount and plate amps that are geared toward the DIY crowd. While their amps used to have strictly SpeakOn, PowerCon, and XLR with no user-controllable EQ, crossovers, or phase control now have binding posts, NEMA-15 power cords, RCA inputs, and all the aforementioned signal controls.

Also making things more appealing is a recent price drop across the board!

I know Brian frequents most of the forums out there, so Iím sure any questions posted here will be answered.

My first experience with SpeakerPower amps was when Jeff Permanian (JTR Speakers) brought his highly acclaimed Orbit Shifter LFU to my first AVS GTG in 2013. I couldnít believe a plate amp (SP1-4000) could bring a single enclosure to such immense SPL levels (tested by data-bass.com to exceed 130db).

These amps are also used by Seaton Sound, Danley Sound Labs, Power Sound Audio, and Deep Sea Sound to name a few.

I purchased my first SpeakerPower amp (rack mount SP2-12000) at the end of 2014 to drive a pair of Othorn tapped horn subwoofers (designed by Josh Ricci of data-bass.com) loaded with B&C 21-IPAL drivers. These drivers have an unusually low Re of 0.7ohm, and even though the impedance drops to ~1.1ohm while loaded in an Othorn, the SP2-12000 has effortlessly drove these subs all while remaining cold to the touch. In the last ~1.5 years Iíve only seen the fans actually turn on two or three times. Iíve measured SPL levels just north of 139db at the seats in my HT room with just these two subs and a single SpeakerPower amp!

I recently purchased another SP2-12000 to power my latest project of (8) sealed 21Ē drivers and Iím thrilled with the results. I encourage anyone else using these amplifiers to post their experiences here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-03-16, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Official SpeakerPower amplifier thread

My first SP2-12000 purchased in 2014:

10awg L6-30P vs. 14awg NEMA 5-15P:

SP2-12000 that arrived just last week:

Attached Thumbnails
Official SpeakerPower amplifier thread-pic1.jpg  

Official SpeakerPower amplifier thread-pic2.jpg  

Official SpeakerPower amplifier thread-pic3.jpg  

Official SpeakerPower amplifier thread-pic4.jpg  

Official SpeakerPower amplifier thread-pic5.jpg  

Official SpeakerPower amplifier thread-pic6.jpg  

kjlewie, chrapladm and lovinthehd like this.

Last edited by lukeamdman; 04-04-16 at 10:16 AM.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-03-16, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hmmm, do I need to have a certain number of posts before I can link images?

post #4 of 18 Old 04-04-16, 01:37 AM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

You should be able to attach images after five posts. Let us know if you are still having an issue.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-04-16, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
robbo266317 wrote: View Post
You should be able to attach images after five posts. Let us know if you are still having an issue.
I just attached the images vs. linking them and it worked. Thanks!
post #6 of 18 Old 04-04-16, 09:00 PM
Shackster

My System

Any idea what software is needed for the remote monitoring of the data port on the rack mount units?
post #7 of 18 Old 04-05-16, 11:06 AM
Shackster
Brian Oppegaard

Quote:
ndyvidual wrote: View Post
Any idea what software is needed for the remote monitoring of the data port on the rack mount units?
The dataport plugs into a QSC system and uses their software and hardware. The current system is called Q-SYS and is a very powerful integrated software, scalable DSP, remote control and monitor. The legacy system is QSControl software and CM16 hardware. It is remote control and monitoring only. CM16 are available for $30-40 each on ebay. The 15 pin dataport connection carries to the amplifier the input signal and standby control. It brings back temperature, levels, output current for load impedance calculation and protection status.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-06-16, 07:43 AM
Shackster

My System

Two more questions-

In the picture in post #1, there are two different plugs shown. Do the current SP rack mount amplifiers use the regular 3 prong or that other larger configuration [which requires wall receptacle replacement]?

Any [cooling] issues with mounting these amplifiers vertically?
post #9 of 18 Old 04-06-16, 09:59 AM
Shackster
Brian Oppegaard

Quote:
ndyvidual wrote: View Post
Two more questions-

In the picture in post #1, there are two different plugs shown. Do the current SP rack mount amplifiers use the regular 3 prong or that other larger configuration [which requires wall receptacle replacement]?

Any [cooling] issues with mounting these amplifiers vertically?
The plug depends on the model. The 120VAC only models get a NEMA 5-15 or 5-20 plug as shown on the right in the photo. The 230VAC models get a 6-20 or 6-30 plug. The locking versions have a L as in L6-20. You can specify either locking or non locking.

The receptacle is a IEC320 C13 on the -HT models, and Powercon 30A on the -DP models.

I'm not sure how Luke got a 5-15 plug with his SP2-12000. It should be a L6-20 like the one on the left. I would never recommend wiring a 5-15 or 5-20 outlet to 240VAC.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-16-16, 11:19 PM
Shackster

My System

I've decided to purchase the 4800 series amplifier once I've completed my build. I have three additional questions. perhaps others will find the answers useful.

#1 In the pull-down there is a pull down selection for the speakon connection wiring. It's not so clear to me though how the wiring diagram looks like or if it's using a 2 or 4 pole type. The following options are listed.

CH1 + CH2 CH2
CH1+CH2 CH2+CH2

#2 for the HT model (with the DSP), is there a high pass filter present in the signal chain? I'm looking for a amplifier with an unrestricted low frequency response.

#3 So that my project moves forward as intended, is there a lead time for availability?