Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

calling all pro amp users

Tags
calling users
3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Ricci 
#1 ·
I am having some problems since I got my ep2500 a few days ago. Started with some ground loop issues that I have mostly fixed with a ground loop isolator. I still get a slight hum so I would like to get that fixed. I also am having gain issues. I get sound but its no louder than when I was running my sub with 100 watts. I need something cheap and quick that will fix these issues and I am getting conflicting ideas. Will a feedback destroyer address these issues? Some say it has no gain boost and some say it does. The bits I have read about it says nothing about anything other than channel isolation and parametric eq.
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
When i first set up my 2500 I had the same problem and it was because my lfe out on my reciever was not putting out enough voltage. I put a Art cleanbox in line and it boosted the input signal to give me full gain and fixed the problem. If you already have it hooked up that way then I am not sure what the problem could be. Here is the AC.........http://www.midweststereo.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ARTCLEANBOX&click=2

#3 ·
The cleanbox looks good, but I've read that you have to modify it. I know absolutely nothing about making the kind of mods I've seen talked about. If it's easy I may give it a try, but can't make guarantees. I don't want to buy it, mess it up, and waste $50 something dollars.

Do you or anyone else know if the feedback destroyer helps with this?

#5 ·
#6 ·
I've read through a bit of the cleanbox mod thread. I'll look through it again. I didn't really understand it. I know mostly basic sub design, but actual electronic work is something I'm not good with. I was hoping for something plug and play. I'll look at that thread again though.

#7 ·
Brandon,

Forget the ART Cleanbox. The Samson S-convert does the same thing and has no need of a modification. It's 50 bucks. If you want an all in one solution look into the Reckhorn like Mike suggested ($100 I think), or a Rane PE17. They are around $150 I think, but mine cured a hum problem and it has 5 band fully overlapable parametric EQ that can go down to a 10hz center, it can boost or cut your signal up to 12 db and it's got adjustable high and low pass filters. I'd go for the Reckhorn or the Rane PE-17.

#8 ·
#9 ·
I'm pretty cost wary of certain things, and the deq2496 for me is one of those things. For the feature set it has it's great, but I'm wanting something to fix 2 problems I have and I don't want to spend as much fixing the amp as I did for the amp itself. I was hoping the 1124p feedback destroyer would work, but it looks like it won't help me at all other than eq. Looks like I'm going with either the cleanbox or the samson. Probably the samson. If it does it with no mods then I'm all there.

#10 ·
#14 ·
I know how you feel about the birds nest...:dizzy: I need to take a weekend and do it right. I am surprised I am not haveing more humming problems myself.

#15 ·
Brandon -

Congrats on the amp!

How are you connecting the receiver to the amp? i.e. RCA cable with XLR or 1/4 adaptor into the amp. I'm using an RCA cable and 1/4 mono adaptor with success. I read that if 1/4 stereo adaptor is used it could result in a hum. Just a thought.

John

#17 ·
Yeah. Ground loops can be tough to get rid of. Try plugging the amp into a different outlet if you can. Cheater plugs work sometimes and sometimes adding another piece of equipment in between the reciever and amplifier can work. It helped mine out alot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.