Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

QUIETEST greater than 2ch x 1200W 4ohm amp ?

8K views 52 replies 8 participants last post by  kouack 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

My Quest 3004 has oodles of power for my needs but its annoying me due to its fan noise. Looked into modifying the unit but decided not to go that way.

Please make some suggestions on what else is out there at or over this power rating and remains quiet ?

Anyone tried one of the Face digital amps like the F1800DN ?

Any help would be appreciated.

#4 ·
I note that one still has a fan, have you had personal experience with this one? Sounds promising.

#7 ·
well thats perfect if thats the case. If the fans never come on then theres nothing to worry about. That said it would be driving two Maelstrom-X subs, so the amp would be working as hard as it ever likely is too.

The Crown K2 looks great, but it seems discontinued in Aus. I think I have found one place that still has stock though.

#9 ·
#12 ·
Aaron, I haven't run the P7000's in anger with subs yet, so I can answer with a definite, I dunno.

In all my other Yammie amps, the fans only stay on as long as needed to get the temperature back into the correct (as per the designer) range. I see no reason to believe the 7000 will be any different.

#15 ·
Indeed I do. I go to as many Collingwood games as I can and watch many others on TV each week.

You a fan of the AFL?

#17 ·
What you want to power with your amp a sub? i do own a QSC MX3000A (QSC EX4000 is the same) plugged to 2 SDX15 and i did put a low noise fan in it and i cannot hear it at all and gives me a real(tested by Binks) 1200 watts a side @ 4 ohms but they go for for 700-800 $ US ish used. Again Yammy are really nice amps and the 7K is light weight.

#26 ·
good point drizt, was really only thinking of spl, but as you say on top of that there is tons of boost.

so if the fans don't turn on under those circumstances then we will have learnt something. And IIRC you don't play anywhere near as loud as I do, another margin of safety.

Only thing I don't know is (cause I never do it) how much the LFE in HT tax an amp. Can't help there.

#30 ·
Well the Quest is now sold.

So decision time is here.

Yammy P7000S or Crown K2.

Decisions decisions.

Any thoughts, help, or even ridicule :p will be appreciated .

#34 ·
I have been told thats the case, but can't seem to find any literature to back that up.

I could imagine using one of those amps (4080W bridged at 8 ohms) to drive a dual opposed Maelstrom-X box in the style of a Seaton Submersive :p

#36 ·
I know about doubling power gives +3dB ;)

I will be using quite a lot of EQ on the bottom end of my subs and will use quite a lot of amplifier power to do so. Having more than I need is always a good thing. The Maelstrom-X can take over 2kW of power as confirmed by Kevin.

Looks likely that I have found a second hand Crown K2 for a good price so my search maybe over. Will confirm when its in my hands :)

#38 ·
Cheers. I'm about to go pick up the unit, fingers crossed all goes well.

Apparently it hasn't been turned on in 3 years so hope its all ok. Guess ill find out soon.

#39 ·
Picked it up. Its a bit banged up (scratches and so forth) but those can be fixed if need be. I have to modify my cables which are currently Speakon connectors before I can hook it up. Hopefully it doesnt blow up in my face :p

#41 ·
#43 ·
Cheers. Took some time to set it up with enough space in my rack for proper air flow and cooling. Should work a treat :)

#45 ·
It's rated at 1100W/ch/4Ω which is 0.38dB different from the 1200W asked for.

The specs are and always have been quite clear that it is not rated into 2Ω/ch or 4Ω bridged.

The P7000S is perfectly adequate to power a single M18/channel coils in series up to it's rated power.

#46 ·
I know about its suitability if you are running one MX from one channel (as per the original intent of the thread) but there was confusion regarding running it in bridge mode to drive the MX.

http://www.soundcorp.com.au/product/brochure/1949100578_Yamaha - P Series 2 Brochure.pdf

From the above I saw the column / row for 4ohm bridged saying it outputs 3200W to mean that it can handle 4ohms bridged. I know now that I was wrong.

I just wanted to help out others who were thinking of running this amp in bridge mode to power an M-X.

#47 ·
I'm sure the yamaha can in fact handle 4 ohm bridged... but keep in mind that a band using this for a continuous 3 hour program into 4 ohm full range speakers is different from how we use them for 4-ohm HT subs (for dynamics and not constantly working)

#48 ·
I'm sort of getting frustrated with this. My long experience with Yamaha pro amps has shown that they will work at ratings for a long time with high reliability (I'm sure many others also, but Yamaha is where most of my PA amps came from). They may work into more difficult loads for some period of time but if you do so, it is at your own risk.

I am emphasising this point for those who don't know a lot about amplifiers and loads, so they do not choose/use a unit inappropriately and damage the amp and/or speakers. User beware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.