Dayton SA 1000 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 46 Old 06-05-11, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Dayton SA 1000

Why does eveybody use band amps ie Behringer for home theater? When the Dayton SA 1000 is a proper sub woofer amp. and are about on par with price here in AU. NOT TO MENTION DAYTONS ARE AESTHETICALLY BEAUTIFUL VS UGLY BEHRINGER BAND AMPS.

Dayton Audio SA1000 Subwoofer Amplifier Rack Mountable

The Dayton Audio SA1000 is a freestanding, high-power subwoofer amplifier designed for the DIYer, installer, and systems integrator. This unique monaural subwoofer amplifier delivers the raw power of a pro-sound amp, but with the features and flexibility of a dedicated subwoofer amplifier. It can be configured for stacking with other audio components, and includes removable ears for mounting in standard audio racks (2RU). The patented tracking, down-converting power supply ensures headroom for instantaneous power needs and operates cool due to its high-efficiency design. A class AB output stage provides a clean and controlled output signal. From a performance standpoint, a low frequency parametric EQ allows you to boost or cut to custom-tailor the sound to suite the environment of the room. Sophisticated soft clip circuitry provides cleaner transient peaks while protecting your driver from over-excursion. Switchable subsonic filter removes the subsonic information from the signal to tighten the low end response of some subwoofer systems. Bass boost filters add to the low end response without using the built-in parametric EQ. This leaves the parametric EQ function to address room modes to cut out an excessively loud room resonance. The high-pass outputs provides the user the option to feed the signal back into their sound system or distributed audio system.

Manual, automatic on/off or triggered 12V input allows easy integration into automated systems. The stealthy pop-out knobs on the front panel make adjustments easy, while minimizing the risk of accidental disturbance. The subdued brushed black aluminum faceplate allows this amp to cosmetically blend with any type of audio gear. Accepts RCA line-level inputs, includes insulated binding posts for the speaker outputs, and accepts a 12V trigger via a 3.5 mm mini-jack.

Specifications: Rated Power Output (0.92% THD): 497 watts into 8 ohms, 950 watts into 4 ohms Signal to Noise Ratio: 98 dB A-weighted Efficiency: 86% Input Impedance: 12K ohms Subsonic Filter: -3 dB @ 18 Hz, Q=0.8 Bass Boost: +3 dB @ 25 Hz, Q=1.4 High Pass Output: -3 dB @ 80 Hz, 12 dB/octave Low Pass Adjustment: 30-200 Hz Phase Adjustment: 0180 Parametric EQ Frequency: 1880 Hz Bandwidth: 0.11.0 Q Level: -14.5 dB to +6 dB Dimensions: 17-1/2" W x 4" H x 13" D (tabletop configuration) Power Requirements: 120/230 VAC, 50/60 Hz Stand-by Power Rating: 120V 24W; 230V 18.4W Weight: 20 lbs. *Based on one-third power duty cycle

:dont know:
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 46 Old 06-05-11, 09:22 AM
Elite Shackster
Re: Dayton SA 1000

497 watts into 8 ohms, 950 watts into 4 ohms
Subsonic Filter: -3 dB @ 18 Hz
There's two reasons. Not enough power and the hpf fixed at 18hz.
post #3 of 46 Old 06-05-11, 06:55 PM
Senior Shackster

the ep4000 is cheaper, more than double the power and is not hobbled with an undefeatable high-pass filter
post #4 of 46 Old 06-05-11, 08:23 PM
Elite Shackster

There's two reasons. Not enough power and the hpf fixed at 18hz.

950 watts into 4 ohms is plenty for a lot of subwoofers. A 18 hz HPF is perfect for a sub tuned in the 18 - 22 hz range.

the ep4000 is cheaper, more than double the power and is not hobbled with an undefeatable high-pass filter
No HPF is good for a 15 hz or lower tuning frequency, anything higher and people are buying Reckhorn's or Eq.2 high pass filters to protect their subs from over excursion.

Both pro amps and plate amps that have a built in hi-pass filter have their place. It all depends on the sub design and what you want to achieve.

post #5 of 46 Old 06-06-11, 01:56 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer
2 channel view
My System

Plenty of power here. You can add a few dB to this figure per the RS SPL meter compensation table.

The subs are now well integrated into the room and system, no skipping, boominess or any of the initial problems associated with new subwoofer setup. I need to update my thread to include the considerable changes.

The SA1000 is doing a very good job in my system and I highly recommend it.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #6 of 46 Old 06-30-11, 02:57 PM
Senior Shackster

I have four of the Dayton amps. Just to clarify, the old model HPSA1000 had an undefeatable high pass filter. The current model SA1000 does not have an undefeatable high pass filter. There is a switch on the back of the amp that turns the filter on or off.

from manual when referencing the switch wrote:
Selects a subsonic filter with -3dB @ 18Hz, Q=.8. Allows the user to remove the subsonic information from the signal and tighten the low end response of some subwoofer systems.
The amps can also be internally modified. Two of my amps are modified for frequency response and limiting.
post #7 of 46 Old 07-03-11, 11:42 AM

The dayton's look pretty decent. They arent bridgeable though?

From what ive seen of tests they also seem to lack in the 4ohm department. (advertised 1000W, measured only 580).

For me i'd still go with the ep4000 or similar. i like the headroom and possibility of adding more subs or changing drivers. Just headroom i guess you could say. With the dayton i'd basically be maxed out on my tempest-x (going of measured) though i could take the eq2 out of the loop.
post #8 of 46 Old 07-03-11, 12:05 PM
Senior Shackster

Love my EP4000. I had to swap the fan for a much quieter one but that went easily. As a nurse I can say it was easier than many nursing procedures and I have a tremor.
post #9 of 46 Old 07-05-11, 03:40 PM
Senior Shackster

Why pay more for less?

Pro Sound equipment is made to take a beating, Those dayton amps, while nice, are not built to withstand the same stress a pro amp would see in the field. $$$ to watts ratio is better. Distortion numbers on pro amps tend to be fantastic. And if you modify the fan, Its quiet enough to work perfectly in almost any size space.
post #10 of 46 Old 07-06-11, 09:42 AM

Bang for the buck.

There's an EP2500 for sale here with fan mod for $200 plus shipping. Shoot, even brand new they're still a fantastic value.

1000 , dayton , sa

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page