Behringer iNuke NU1000 Amp Amplifier Fan Swap How To w/ PICS - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Subwoofer Amps | High Pass Filters
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 43201 - Replies: 120  
Old 11-17-11, 07:14 PM   #1
Shackster

Josh
Since: Nov 2009
Maine
I started this thread.
Behringer iNuke NU1000 Amp Amplifier Fan Swap How-To w/ PICS & VID

It has been a while since I have posted here - my original EP4000 fan swap thread got stickied so I thought I would post a part 2 of the new iNuke series using a fresh out of the box NU1000 I received this week in the mail.

Upon being powered on the NU1000 had a definite fan noise while sitting on my kitchen table. I was hoping for an audible drop similar to what the EP4000 fan swap had improved on the original EP stock fans. The fan swap I made in the pair of EP4000s I am still using resulted in a very significant db drop yet never seemed to jeapordize the ability of the EP4000s to run cool (even while wired in 2 ohm stereo for extended durations).

The photos attached show the iNuke NU1000 on my kitchen table with the top being removed and the stock fan being swapped for an Adda Inc AD0812XX-D71 (Jameco part # 2095365......approx $8 ea).

Swapping the fan out on the iNuke amp was easier than the EP fans - 6 screws on top and then remove the 4 screws on the back of the amp holding the external fan guard.........then it is a simple matter of soldering on the new lead to the pigtail from the plug and the new fan bolts into place perfectly.

The bad news......the new Jameco fan IS quiter than the stock fan but it is NOT as significant of a drop as the improvement seen in the EP4000 fan swap. At best, I see the Jameco part as a temporary improvement.

If others have swapped their fans in the iNuke series and have had better results and more significant fan noise reductions please post your fan part # and vendor!

I have yet to test this amp, it will be powering a Dayton Reference Series RSS390HO-4 15" sealed sub. I will post my impressions of this amp in the next couple of weeks as the new system gets pieced together.

Attachments

Last edited by GSX-R_Rider; 11-18-11 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: grammar

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-11, 08:37 PM   #2
HTS Administrator

Mike
Since: Apr 2007
Chitek Lake, Sask.
Re: Behringer iNuke NU1000 Amp Amplifier Fan Swap How To w/ PICS

Thanks for documenting the fan swap. This thread has been stickied.

Old 11-18-11, 01:36 AM   #3
Shackster

TagUrToast
Since: Oct 2011
New South Wales

I heard somewhere that using silicone mounts on the fan helps to reduce alot of the noise. maybe it is worth a shot if you have some?

Old 11-18-11, 06:54 AM   #4
Shackster

Josh
Maine
I started this thread.

Silicone mounts may help but my opinion is that the main cause of the wind "noise" isn't so much the fan itself.....it is the sound of the air being vented by the black looking "cover" of sorts that has to be removed before the stock fan can be removed. The stock "shroud" seems to direct the flow of air from the fan in a downward manner and I think the rush of the air from the fan moving inside the shroud is the biggest noise culprit.

You can see in the last photo I posted a pic of the new fan installed without the shroud - when the amp was plugged in and tested this way it was very quiet even with the top off.....however when I then placed the black shroud back in place the noise returned and even with the amp cover back on the fan noise was worse than with the amp opened up being tested with NO shroud in place.

Perhaps the best solution is to ditch the shroud - my only concern would be overheating and diminished protection for the internal amp parts that may need it the most.

My amp will be sitting inside of a rather snug stereo stand and I think this may help mask some of the "wind noise" that I can currently hear with the NU1000 while I test it out on my kitchen table.

Old 11-18-11, 07:33 AM   #5
Senior Shackster

Since: Nov 2010

Could you just open of the shroud a bit by cutting the inlet back some ?

Old 11-18-11, 05:24 PM   #6
Shackster

Josh
Maine
I started this thread.

Quote:
Jstslamd wrote: View Post
Could you just open of the shroud a bit by cutting the inlet back some ?

Good question - here is the answer - follow the YouTube link below - today I shot a quick HD video of how to replace the fan in the iNuke amps and just posted it to YouTube......in the video I actually took your suggestion and removed the stock fan shroud and "trimmed it" to size. The end result is a somewhat improved fan situation - compared to the aftermarket fan/stock fan shroud, the new combo of aftermarket fan/modified fan shroud is an improvement.

Ultimately ditching the fan shroud would basically reduce fan noise levels to nearly inaudible......or making this simple mod to the fan shroud will get you one step closer to having a quieter fan. Check out the video for a look inside the NU1000.

Old 12-02-11, 03:43 PM   #7

Since: Mar 2011

Is the fan a standard computer fan size? if so, what size is it?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 12-18-11, 08:43 AM   #8
Shackster

Ash
Since: Sep 2007
Kent, England

I wounder if you could glue a thin bit of foam to the inside of the plastic shroud ? That should reduce some noise too.
So the fan is a 12v PC case fan ) good news as there are lots of silent mod fans out there.

Great video thank you.

My Home Cinema

www.ashbys.viviti.com

Old 01-04-12, 08:14 AM   #9
Senior Shackster

IT Guy
Since: Aug 2009
Houston, TX

If you really want to drop the noise level, I recommend this fan:

http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/113

Res non sententia.

Old 01-20-12, 04:10 PM   #10
Shackster

Josh
Maine
I started this thread.

Quote:
Dave Upton wrote: View Post
If you really want to drop the noise level, I recommend this fan:

http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/113

Thanks - may give it a try. I have lived with the current inuke/aftermarket fan combo for a while now and I definitely want to take the fan noise down another notch or two.

I am quite impressed with the amp - the 1000w rating may be a meaningless "max output" but this iNuke1000 bridged to 4 ohm mono driving a 15" small sealed sub is quite powerful.

For $200 I would choose this over comparably priced subwoofer "plate amps" any day of the week.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs!

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Subwoofer Amps | High Pass Filters »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »