Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

iNuke DSP connections and crossover

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  camshaft 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I've read through the threads mentioning the iNuke here but couldn't find an answer to my question here or in the online setup manual. I've recently been considering buying an iNuke DSP for use as a stereo-subwoofer amp (2 subwoofers I mean) for a simple 2 channel stereo system, not home theater. I'd like to use the iNuke as a crossover and amplifier for the subs, but be left with a high-pass line-level signal to feed into my main amplifiers. Looking at the setup guide and connections on the back however, it looks like my only option if using the iNuke as my active crossover for the sub is to output amplified levels for both the subwoofer and speakers, not just the speaker.

I'm simply trying to accomplish what is seems like plate amps often allow you to do - line level in, plate amp powers subwoofer, and feeds out high pass line level. Is this not feasible with the iNuke DSP? Should I instead consider buying a simple active crossover, then feeding the low pass to a subwoofer amp like the non-DSP iNuke, and the high pass to my stereo amp?

Thanks for any input or suggestions,
Austin

Edit: Also, can the Crown XLS drivecore series do this, if the iNuke can't?

Edit 2: Ugh, now reading on the diyaudio forum that the active crossovers, even miniDSP often noticeably degrade the sound quality of class-A amps (what I'm planning on building for my mains). I suppose I could go the miniDSP + amp route for the subwoofer, and then try feeding the main amp + main speakers the full range and the high pass signal and see which sounds better....

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.