Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Need 2ohm stable dedicated subwoofer amp.

23K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  BigAl33 
#1 ·
I am looking for a dedicated subwoofer amp to power a couple of subwoofers I have. Something similar to the Velodyne SC-1250. The only problem with that amp is that it is not 2 ohm stable. I have two JBL GTi MKII's in a sealed enclosure so I will need two amps. I really like how simple a dedicated subwoofer amp would be vs using a pro amp and then having to add a DSP. Issues arise, when you add more components to a system. I've read that some add noise to the system and others don't have enough output voltage for the pro amp. I need a minimum of 750 watts per sub and my budget is right around $1,200 but I am willing to spend a bit more if I find the perfect solution.

#2 ·
Welcome!

As far as I know there are no home audio 2 ohm sub amps with that kind of power. You can get Behringer iNuke amps with or without a built in DSP and a fan modification can be done to quiet the fans. If you wired your subs each in parallel then the final load is just under 3 ohms each, a Behringer would have no problem powering them.

#3 ·
That's what I thought. Sounds like there is quite the market for the product I'm seeking. 2 ohm stable amplifier designed to power home theater subwoofers. Variable highpass filter from 10 to 30 hz and lowpass filter variable from 50 hz to 200 hz. Simple DSP and phase adjustments. I think people would buy these up. Why are industries ignoring consumer demands???

#5 ·
There are some plate amps that you could use such as the MiniDSP amps. They have one that is 2x800watts. There are other high power plate amps that you could use also but they do cost considerable more.

#7 ·
The MiniDSP power amps have a very capable DSP built in and available in a single channel, 2 channel or 3 channel plate amp.
http://www.minidsp.com/products/plate-amplifiers
Speakerpower makes plate amps also with a lot of power but with no DSP.

#15 ·
I'm strongly considering going with two Emotiva XPA-1 amps to run the JBLs. I like the idea of a large amp sitting atop each subwoofer cabinet. I just stumbled upon these amps and have not done much research. The only complaints on them seem to be geared toward people who use them in a full range setup. Their business model seems solid. Design in the US, have them build the amps in China, and then cut out the middle man by selling them direct. I'm not concerned about the price being too low when you can sell a 2,400 watt pro amp for $600. Plus, they come with a 5 year warranty. I called their customer service and they said that the amp will run down to 3 ohms but it will run hotter.

#17 ·
I know this is long past the time this message board was opened... but I'm surprised no one suggested hooking the two subs up in a series circuit to add the ohmage together, giving you a 4 ohm circuit to work with as opposed to 2 - 2 ohm circuits. Simply running the positive wire from the amp to the positive of one sub, and the negative from the amp to the negative of the second sub, and a connecting wire between the two subs would have created this so you would have a 4 ohm stable circuit.

#18 ·
If you do that... Can you EQ them individually still?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.