Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

How to safely use an EP2500

Tags
ep2500 safely
4K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Josuah 
#1 ·
After reading how this guy blew both of his TC Sounds 15" drivers right after he got his sub together I'm somewhat concerned by using the Behringer amp. The thing is after readings Chuck's measurements compared to the Crown I'm quite impressed.

Presently I'm using a HPSA 1000 but figure I could sell it for most of what the Behringer will cost. The idea of adding a second sub in our HT system seems like a good idea once I figure out an ingenious way of getting the female's approval.

What I'd like to know is:

1.) I see there's a 30hz rumble filter and wonder if this could be easily modded to say 10hz? Apparently the HPSA has an 18hz 3rd order high pass which seems too high for my RL-P 15" that's tuned to 18.5hz.

2.) It says there's "limiters". Does this mean maximum output can be adjusted? Can you set it for say 500 watts at 4 ohms?

If I am missing something please let me know. Thank You

#2 ·
Re: How to safely us an EP2500

I've been using an EP2500 with 4 RLP-15's for quite some time now. Absolutely no problems. As a matter of fact quite a few people use the Behringer amps with no issues. I don't use the rumble filter and am not sure what you mean by limiters. I tuned the system and rely on common sense with the attenuation knob :D As long as you don't clip the amp and stay within the drivers designed parameters you should be fine.

#5 ·

same here . 2 15 tc 2000 300l 15 hz tune great set up . after reading the guy who blew his i got a high pass . it only takes 300 watts to bottom the driver at 10 hz or so . i run a sms 1 (yes i know ) protects the drivers from damage . i had some old diy 12's and just replaced them with these and man do they sound good very fast and when they went below 20 hz i jumped and im on concrete . infra sound rocks . i highly recommend super man some good base in there. with my rs spl meter i have hit around 110 (not pushing them hard still had alot to go)and they did not even faulter . i plan on updating the sms 1 and running a 5 hz high pass with the graphs i have seen this should be perfect for my set up because it still rolls off but in my set ups favor .

#6 ·

Another one for the 2500. I've got one running 2 15TC1000 and so far no probs. I've had the system as loud as I dare and have yet to see the clip lights. Just make sure everything is wired properly, don't bottem them and stay away from clipping and you will be fine. When I bought the speakers Heather at TC told me they could realistically handle 900 Watts or so. That's a LOT! In real world conditions the 2500 won't see that so just keep an eye out for the red clip lights and enjoy!

#9 ·
Appreciate the feedback. Guess I'll go get one tomorrow. I'm not sure yet as I've not got it dialed in all the way but I think I'm going to need another. I brought up adding another sub in our living room to wifey poo and she laughed:unbelievable:.

If you guys have any great ideas to help me get another sub into our living room I'd sure appreciate it. Maybe some diamond earrings? How do things like that actually work. It's been posted by others that it's a good idea but has anyone tried it?

#10 ·
I got a 2500 and am loving it. I just need another outlet to really give it all the juice it needs, I also have a mini fridge, reciever, computer and projector on the same breaker.

Depending on what drivers you are using this may over power it a bit (or allot depending). Just use common sense and dont "bend the knob" and youll be fine. FYI my 15" FI Q ported to 14hz will take all the power from the 2500 (~1000 real watts on one channel) at 10hz and live to tell about it. pretty amazing.

#11 ·
The EP2500 has a row of DIP switches on the back which enable and disable various filters, dual mono/bridging and clip limiters, etc.

Most people won't like the loudness of the original internal fan in a domestic room.
It's a simple swap if you can find a quieter 24Volt fan.
It is the same size as a computer fan but must be 24 Volts.
If you can hide the amp in a cupboard or another room you may save yourself the trouble of swapping fans.

#14 ·
Not to disagree, but I'd say try it as is. Increase the volume on a good bass movie (wotw..) step by step and get an idea for what the system can handle. I seriously doubt you are going to run into issues with bottoming the sub or clipping the amp dangerously. Adding the filters to protect against a worst case senario is going to take away from response and performance at normal levels where you will use the system most. Good luck and let us know!

#17 ·
I've had mine running two 15TC1000 for 7 months. I've listened to every big bass movie at reference or higher with no problems of bottoming or clipping from the amp. The TC's have about the same x-max as the SS and they are in an enclosure tuned to 14hz. I bottomed them once on p-ditty rock but was smart enough to know it and turned it down. Just be carefull and know your limits and you should be fine. That RL-P will start shaking the house a long time before it becomes a danger to itself.

btw - anyone looking for a fun bass demo, P-Ditty Rock has a sustained subsonic base note about half way through that is just awesome!

#24 ·
I just received the fan from Digikey but haven't run downtown for the amp where I can get one for 330. Saturdays or Sundays are the only times I will go downtown unless I have to. I'll let you know what I think of it. I'm not selling the HPSA 1000 until I know I'm happy with it though.

#25 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Yes, I love it. What a deal as I only paid 250 shipped for this amp and it came like it was brand new.

So if anybody wants an HPSA 1000 I've got it advertised here and another forum for 250 shipped. Comes with everything, cord, screws and more than likely the manual. However the people here probably know how to deal with it fine.

#26 ·
You probably have an EQ attached to your signal chain. Use that to implement your high-pass filter and limiter, instead of the amp itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.