JL 13w7 plate amp. Help! - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 31 Old 12-17-07, 09:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Brent

Re: JL 13w7 plate amp. Help!

Stu, at the risk of being a bit forward, did you actually model the 13w7 before choosing it? It's beginning to sound a bit like you simply purchased the beefiest looking driver you could find without considering its suitability for your purposes. Or maybe it's a function of what's available in South Africa. Bare with me a bit as I explain my thought process.

You want a small sealed sub with good sound quality. Most would agree that means a Q of .7 or less. I've gone ahead and modeled the 13w7, a driver I would never consider as it's $1100 here in the States. A 3 ft^3 net box shows a Q of .689. With that target in mind, I looked for another driver that might provide similar performance for a lesser cost. Didn't have to go far to find the RS390-HO ($160 USD), a 15" driver optimized for extremely low distortion. The 390-HO in 2 ft^3 will give a Q of .690. F3/F10 points are a little higher for the 390, but I've attached the SPL curves for the 390-HO with 500 watts and the 13w7 with 1000 watts. The JL has about 4.5dB advantage at 20hz and it decreases with frequency. Dual 390-HOs would yield more SPL than a single 13w7 with only 33% more cabinet and only 25% of the price.

I'm glad you're happy with the first prototype, but I can't help but wondering if there wasn't a better way to achieve your goals.
Attached Thumbnails
JL 13w7 plate amp. Help!-rs390ho_13w7_spl.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 12-17-07, 09:44 PM
Senior Shackster

Geoff

The 13W7 is a nice driver. I wonder if any actual measurements have been made of it in a similar fashion to Ilkka's? The main issue with that driver to me is the cost. If it is of suitably low distortion then that becomes less of an issue. If I could get a couple at a reasonable cost I would love to build a sub using them. From the shots I've seen of the JL facility it is top notch and they put a lot of effort into making excellent drivers.

However as with most expensive drivers, it usually becomes more effective to use multiple cheaper drivers to achieve the same output, if space is not an issue, which it appears to be in this case.

Brent, I think you can get that driver for closer to half of what you're quoting. I've seen it at local shops for $899 CDN and with the price disparity between the US and Canada I would expect it to be available in the $600 range. I can get one shipped to me out of the US for about $640.
post #23 of 31 Old 12-18-07, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
stupot

Hi there Gents, thank you for all the info. I bought all three of my 3w7 from Amazon on line and had them in my hands in SouthAfrica within 7 working days for $599 each. I dont mind paying for quality and after all this looked to be the one driver that would do big things in a small box. like i said try it for yourself, im sure you will be amazed. the problem is, if you can get good resulte from a small cab, i think the deficit inpaying more os well worth it. Not every one has the space for massive subwoofers. I think so far this subwoofer does a lot more than many 15" can in a box twice the size and im only powering it with 500watts, cant waight for the ED1300 to arive. I will be sure to let you know how things turn out. Please keep your thoughts comming and any info that might still be able to help me!

Regards,

Stuart
post #24 of 31 Old 12-18-07, 10:52 PM
Senior Shackster

Brent

The $1100 price is from Crutchfield and I didn't bother to go bargain hunting. JL says Crutchfield is their only authorized online dealer...warranty is null from anyone else.

Geoff, Illka did have a Fathom 113 in his latest tests...writeup still pending. That's probably the closest we're going to get to proper measurements of a 13w7. Unfortunately, it's still apples||oranges since the Fathom driver is modifed from the standard 13w7.

There's a 100 liter sealed SDX15 in that pack as well. Should make for an interesting comparsion when the full tests are published.

-Brent
post #25 of 31 Old 02-01-09, 12:32 AM
Shackster
murtnabila

so how'd it go with a bigger box and/or amp?
post #26 of 31 Old 02-01-09, 02:27 AM
Senior Shackster
Pinhead

One of my old car audio buddies had a 13W7v2 in the trunk of his Thunderbird. Let me tell you, I was impressed. The W7's are hellacious drivers. I'd be really interested to hear the sound from one in a larger sealed box (or better yet, a LLT!).
post #27 of 31 Old 02-01-09, 09:00 AM
Chris

Quote:
Pinhead-227 wrote: View Post
One of my old car audio buddies had a 13W7v2 in the trunk of his Thunderbird. Let me tell you, I was impressed. The W7's are hellacious drivers. I'd be really interested to hear the sound from one in a larger sealed box (or better yet, a LLT!).
I don't see a W7v2 listed on JL's website, only W7. Is there a V2?

-Chris
post #28 of 31 Old 02-01-09, 10:47 AM
Senior Shackster
Pinhead

Very strange, I don't see it on their site and a quick Google search doesn't bring anything up. I'll have to contact him and see exactly what he has. IIRC the Fathom's modified driver was the v2 that never got sold separately but I'll have to re-check.
post #29 of 31 Old 02-01-09, 03:33 PM
Shackster
murtnabila

If memory serves me right all the current ones now available are the v2. They are the Svc they used to originally be a svc I beleive.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #30 of 31 Old 03-04-09, 11:03 PM
Shackster
Wade

what size box are you planning on running? I built a box that was way wrong and it wasn't good. You planning on sealed or ported?