Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Cedar Creek Cinema: Ultra Loaded

11K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  luisv 
#1 ·
I am pretty close to having my Ultra Loaded Cedar Creek Cinema finished. All I lack are the 4 Prime Satellite speakers for the ceiling to get Dolby Atmos setup, but not a big hurry, since there are so few titles released with the Atmos encoding. I hope to have that done in the next 30-60 days. The Prime Satellites have been flying out the door so fast (which is a good thing), that I can't seem to get my hands on any at the moment... but soon enough.

I have removed the built-in riser eighteens and columns, and refinished the walls with a texture. Had the room torn completely apart here for a while, but I am back enjoying it again.

Otherwise... SVS Ultra Towers, Ultra Center, Ultra Bookshelfs for surrounds... and a pair of PB13-Ultras for the sub duties. The system is controlled and powered by a Marantz SR7009 and Parasound HALO A31... with the OPPP 105 as the main source for music and movies.

How does it sound? Incredible... come listen for yourself. This has become as much a listening room for music as it is for theater... and it truly rivals some of the best I have heard anywhere.

You can see the full round of pics here: http://www.cedarcreekcinema.ws ... but here are a few shots for the thread.

See less See more
#9 ·
The room looks amazing Sonnie. Cheers!

#11 ·
Happy Thanksgiving Sonnie, the room looks great & I can only imagine how it must sound! I really like the way the back of the room looks now. It draws much better attention to itself now. Will it be 7.2.4? Just seeing the surrounds almost in the corner.

From what I'm hearing, Atomos is doing a nice job with surround sound with non-Atmos tracks. You'll have to give us another opinion. Hope you have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year as well.

#12 ·
Thanks again guys.

Yeah, Tonto... while I said I am in no big hurry to get the Prime Satellites, I am indeed anxious to hear the Atmos setup on non Atmos encoded tracks. I have read the same thing... that it improves on the sound.

I think I am going to leave it at 5.2.4 for now, since going to 7.2.4 would require moving the surrounds further up the wall. Having Atmos should be me enough added effects without going from 5 to 7 and adding rears. But who knows what I may do... I am always up to something. :bigsmile:

#13 ·
I have not read much about the Primes. What I have read has been good. Are they rear ported? Do you know the specs on dispersion? Not much to choose from yet from the main speaker manufactures as far as Atmos "on ceiling" speakers. Timber matching should be a paramount concern with how the sound pans across the room...to my thinking anyway. I would think the first company to produce true, on-ceiling, for Atmos speakers will have the jump on everybody else. I'm personally thinking a small, rectangule MTM design would be most appealing.

#18 ·
I think you'll be very pleased with 5.2.4. The height channels will be a much more noticeable change than rear surrounds IMO.

I wouldn't worry too much about dispersion since your mounts will allow your Primes to pivot some. Have you considered how you'll orient them, since they're not a concentric woofer/tweeter design?

I also agree with the statements that Dolby Surround does an excellent job of enhancing non-Atmos soundtracks. That alone has made the upgrade worthwhile for me. I think we are still a ways from seeing what can really be done with an Atmos mix for home theater.

#19 ·
I plan to angle them slightly towards the main listening position. I don't think it will make a huge difference in the design aspects of the speakers. You gotta figure my surrounds are at a strange angle to my listening position as well. If it were for stereo music listening I might be concerned... but for overhead surround, I think we will be fine.

#20 ·
My room is a rectangle 14x20 and unfortunately is not dedicated and I must have my projector on the long wall with a couch up against the opposite wall. This means my surrounds will be on my sided not back.

at least yours is ideal for your center seats.

#27 ·
You can always cut a small rectangle to accomodate those electrical boxes. They make them with fold out wings that grip behind the sheetrock (so you dont need a stud). You can mount a faceplate with a bannana receptacle & plug your speaker right in. That would give a bit more working room to pull wire.

#28 ·
I would have to cut thru 5/8" sheetrock, 3/4" plywood, and 1/2" sheetrock... so a very small drill hole that the round jacket speaker wire fits in will work a whole lot easier for me. I'll stick some black heat shrink around the speaker wire and with the black ceiling you'll never know its there.

Uh... yeah... hillbilly style. :bigsmile:

I luv my duct tape too!

#29 ·
Gaffers tape... :T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.