Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Svs ultra towers vs bookshelf

25K views 53 replies 5 participants last post by  willis7469 
#1 ·
Hello guys I'm building a new home theater and need some help. Looking at the ultra towers center and then prime sats for rears. Or the ultra bookshelf center and ultra surrounds. My room is 17x20 and I will be using an pb-1000 that I had previously. What would be better ? And I have a marantz 7008. Thanks for the help in advance.

#2 ·
Always get the best you can afford. I would get the ultra towers and bookshelf sorounds.

#3 ·
I have the ultra towers and the ultra bookshelfs for the surrounds. I guess it depends on the setup if your 5.1 or 7.1 and such. I don't particularly like the satellites at all, very small and frankly for your size room they will compress and not output very loud even in their operating range. At the minimum go with the Prime Bookshelf.

Here is a REW graph of my Ultra Bookshelfs set for "Direct" mode. These things are rated 45hz and in my room which are near the wall/corner they produce down to 41hz at -3db. Those satellites are only rated for 70hz. It's not the end all equations but they will play louder.

Attachments

#7 ·
Since your asking I'll throw it out there....

Ultras are for someone who doesn't have a budget and wants the SVS top of the line. I fell onto mine by chance. When I did they Prime series was not even available. Shortly after the Prime series was announced and you can get the the prime tower, prime center and prime bookshelves for a 5 channel setup for $1850 vs. $3,700 for the same in the ultra series.

Now... many will argue if the ultras are worth the cost upgrade and honestly I even question that myself. It's literally HALF PRICE to get the prime series. Guess what... I'm willing to wager for most but the absolute pickiest of persons will get 90% of the performance out of the prime series vs the ultras.

My advice is since your even asking and trying to mix/match for cost reasons. Just buy the prime series tower, prime center and prime bookshelf's. Your wallet will thank you for it and you won't even notice it.... after you pair that system w/ a pair of decent subwoofers.

#9 ·
And also I think I miss calculated my room size it's smaller then that. I live in a town house, and wanted to go with the ultra towers so I didn't have to add a big sub at first. But will be moving later this year and can buy more.

#10 ·
Since the primes and ultras are built to for mix n matching, that's what I might consider as well. Especially since you seem to be budget conscious. Put the difference, and what else you can into subs. The room isn't ridiculously huge, but a pb1k will not even come close. I would start by looking at a pair of pc/pb2000's. Another good option if your a long run guy is buy the biggest sub you possibly can now with plans to ensure another one in the future. Definitely go with towers in front too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
ultra or primes you still want a sub period. My ultras perform pretty good down to 25hz but I can stress them easily if I'm not careful. A sub is designed for that kind of low punishment.

I say get the speakers and use your current sub and listen.... good things come to moderation/patience. You may feel you have enough for your liking or you may realize that even a second is no good so you must ultimately move to a larger setup but at least your not wasting money on something else. Get the speakers so you can hear the improvement... wait a month and fester on your sub purchase.

#13 ·
What's the budget? I would probably consider prime towers and center ultra surrounds. I wouldn't worry as much about extension since you'll probably cross them at 80hz anyway. If this was geared more toward music, I would consider the extension more. But honestly I think it comes to budget. If you have the money, buy a complete ultra setup with 2 pb13u's and don't look back.

#17 ·
The difference between the ultras and the Primes is fairly substantial. I would not agree that they are similar at all.

#19 ·
Overall performance-wise, I tend to agree. The reason I said that was because of the recent SVS interview where it was stated that the tweeters were designed to be mix n match friendly. So for voicing, it was suggested(by SVS) that for example prime towers would would work with an ultra center.

#23 ·
Talley, I think we're more in agreement than out. Especially after seeing his new pics. I would maybe ust do a prime tower/sat setup with no ultra at all. It looks pretty closed off so it will likely work out fine that way. Now subs...

#24 ·
Tim, are you planning on doing any two channel music listening in that room?

#27 ·
I would take a little bit of money out of the budget and put in a french door in that opening. Wouldn't be too hard, about $200 in materials plus the labor to install. This would help close the room off during movies and allow the subwoofer to fill the room better.

#29 ·
Then I agree, go with the Prime speakers and throw more money at a sub. In the end the impact will be greater if you spend more on a sub than on the mains.
The Ultras have a much nicer look to them and the imaging would also be better just due to the design. but imaging with movies is less a factor because of the added channels in the room.

#36 ·
Good question. If you got a plus, would you add another one down the road? The dual option will give better response over more seats, and the LP too, but the plus is a beast so... I'd ask Ed! I think most will say to get 2 PC/PB200's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.