SVSound MBS-02 Speaker Review: Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > SVSound
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 8635 - Replies: 23  
Old 02-13-11, 11:36 PM   #11
Senior Shackster

steve1616
Since: Apr 2009
re: SVSound MBS-02 Speaker Review: Discussion Thread

Dennis, how did the MBS-02 compare in bass performance to the STS-02 tower speakers. Were the bookshelf speakers better at everything. It would be amazing if the MBS-02's were better at bass then the STS-02's considering the MBS-02's only have 1 mid woofer.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 06:28 AM   #12
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Dr Doan
Since: Aug 2006
Oklahoma City, OK
I started this thread.

I would say that both had excellent bass down to the cutoff freq. of 80hz (my setting). I think the difference lies in overall clarity. I perceived the MBS-02's to have a tad more depth (as in sound stage) to them. Both are much better than their price would indicate. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
IT'S THE NERVE!
www.drdoan.com
www.healedthefilm.com
SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
:

Old 03-25-11, 12:10 PM   #13
mjp
Shackster

Since: Feb 2011
Cleveland, Ohio

Thanks for the review Dennis. What would you consider SVS's "best" configuration of speakers for a surround system if price were not a factor. I am not that familiar with their product line.

Michael

Old 03-25-11, 12:16 PM   #14
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Dr Doan
Oklahoma City, OK
I started this thread.

I am using the speaker set mentioned in my personal info. I can't say enough of how impressed I am with this system. I haven't as yet decided on a permanent sub, but am using the SB-12 NSD, and loving it. You will always get your money's worth with SVSound. Have fun. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
IT'S THE NERVE!
www.drdoan.com
www.healedthefilm.com
SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
:

Old 03-25-11, 12:35 PM   #15
mjp
Shackster

Since: Feb 2011
Cleveland, Ohio

in a 5.1 system which surrounds would you recommend, sss-01 or sbs-02 or mbs -02?

Old 03-25-11, 01:16 PM   #16
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Dr Doan
Oklahoma City, OK
I started this thread.

I personally prefer di-pole/bi-pole surrounds since I mostly watch movies. If you tend to listen to music, you may prefer direct radiating speakers. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
IT'S THE NERVE!
www.drdoan.com
www.healedthefilm.com
Direct TV DVR HD
:

Old 04-08-11, 12:13 PM   #17
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

John
Since: Mar 2010
Burleson Texas

Thanks for the review Dennis. Based upon your review I ordered a pair of the MBS-02 speakers and may I say that they are very impressive speakers both in build quality and performance. Even though the weight is clearly stated in the specifications it took me by surprise when I tried to load the box into my truck. These speakers are HEAVY! The only negative regarding the build quality is that one of the grill magnets comes loose from the grill and sticks to the front of the enclose. That can be fixed with a little glue.

Another negative comment is that they came completely identified as MBS-01s, right down to the serial number on the back of each speaker. The box they came in is also marked as MBS-01s. I called the SVS technical support and Jack assured me that they were -02s and told me how to confirm that they were -02s (the tweeter has the SVS logo and the driver is supposed to have a metal cone). I have not been able to determine that the cone is metal because it is coated. I'll just have to take they're word for that. This really doesn't matter to me as long as they perform like 02's but, in the unlikely event that I would ever want to sell them I'd have to prove somehow that they were 02's. How can I do that if I not completely sure myself?

Just out of curiosity Dennis, Did your demo speakers come similarly packaged and marked?

"The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Old 04-08-11, 12:44 PM   #18
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Dr Doan
Oklahoma City, OK
I started this thread.

Mine came the same way. They must have had a problem getting updated boxes. The logo on the tweeter confirms that they are the 02's. Hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoy mine. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
IT'S THE NERVE!
www.drdoan.com
www.healedthefilm.com
Direct TV DVR HD
:

Old 04-13-11, 05:45 PM   #19
Shackster

Since: Jan 2011

Great Review.

Old 04-15-11, 05:11 PM   #20
Shackster

Since: Jan 2011
Re: SVSound MBS-02 Speaker Review

Its really good to read all your views.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs!

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Become a Sponsor   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

« Home Theater Shack > Manufactured Speakers | Subwoofers > SVSound »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »