Anyone have a PB13-Ultra out there? - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 10 Old 03-17-11, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Anyone have a PB13-Ultra out there?

I am a new member here and was hoping to build on some of the members experience. I have ordered one of these PB13-Ultra beasts, based in a large extent on the following SVSound has on this forum. Of course I read all the specs and think it will be a good match for my system as well, plus contacted SVS prior to order. I expect to see it arrive no later than next Monday.

I am planning on using this sub as bass augmentation to my Magnepan 20.1 speakers in a 2 channel stereo. So I will still run the maggies in full range mode and just try to blend the sub in at around 60 Hz.

Since this is dedicated for music only, would you guys recommend running the sub with all the ports plugged? If any have some advice or reviews of this sub I would love to hear it!

Last edited by dromney; 03-17-11 at 11:09 PM. Reason: wrong model in heading _ added hello from new member
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 10 Old 03-18-11, 12:08 AM
Senior Shackster
Re: Anyone have a PB13-Ultra out there?

Most people seem to say to run plugged for music, but I like all port open for both music and movies. Your room will probably determine what you should do. If you have a lot of room gain, sealed might work better. Basically you just need a flat bass response, and whatever alignment gives you this will be the best alignment for music or movies.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-18-11, 12:09 AM
Senior Shackster

I forgot to mention that you have the most headroom with all ports unplugged. Sealed has the least headroom available.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-18-11, 01:53 AM
Senior Shackster

I think your going to find that the PBU is going to blend really well with your system. As for being sealed or not, its going to be up to what you prefer. For my system I usually keep one plug in "15hz" and find it does very well with music and movies.

Samsung 46" LCD/LED, Oppo BDP-83, Wii, PS2, Squeezebox Duet, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Sherwood Newcastle 965A, SVS AS-EQ1, SVS PBU 13 Rosenut x 2, Rocket Onix RS450 Rosewood x 4 Rocket Onix RS200 Rosewood "Bigfoot", Rocket Launch Pad x 4, MU-C Center Speaker Stand Auralax Gramma's x 2
post #5 of 10 Old 03-18-11, 01:34 PM
Elite Shackster
Dr Doan

Welcome to the Forum. Trying it both ways is best. What ever you like best is the way to go. Have fun. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
post #6 of 10 Old 03-18-11, 02:08 PM
Elite Shackster

I used to own one of these and ran it in 15hz mode. It seemed to work very well for the majority of owners in the UK too, not sure on the US, but 15hz as good a place as any to start. I doubt sealed would be the best, unless you have a pretty small room, but it could boil down to preference. As other have said here, try them and see which you prefer.

All the best, and welcome to HTS
post #7 of 10 Old 03-19-11, 03:12 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

Yup, Im running mine with one port plugged and it works great. My room is 16x35'

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #8 of 10 Old 03-20-11, 09:58 AM
Senior Shackster

Congratulations your gonna love the PB13U. I run mine tuned to 15 hz with one port plugged. I tired all the combinations and found this was the best balance for both music and movies for my HT. You should experiment and find out what works for you.

Mains Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Amps - Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5
Processor -Onkyo PR-SC5508
Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave. Aspect ratio 2.35 gain 1.2 fixed screen
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #9 of 10 Old 04-02-11, 04:52 PM

running my SVS 13 Ultra with all plugs opened,, have tried it every way and like them all open,,

have 1.6QRs maggies with Peter Gunn XOs and wiring,,

enjoy that 155 lb monster,, just be careful when moving around the room,,

post #10 of 10 Old 04-12-11, 02:15 AM

I have the PB13-Ultra, and having lived in 3 places with it now, keeping one hole sealed has worked best for me. I actually had two of these in my condo and boy did my neighbors hate me!!

Have you played with both sealed/non-sealed yet?

sb13-ultra , there?

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page