Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Hey Ed few questions for you if you've time

Tags
ed hey time
2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Sycraft 
#1 ·
1) If you had to choose between MTS-01s and MBS-02s for your front speakers, which would you? I ask because I do indeed have to make that choice and MTS-02s aren't available :) (I don't think the left-only pair you guys have would offer the imaging I'm accustomed to).

2) Are there going to be any more MBS-02s available or did you succeed in clearing them out? I am wishing I'd gotten two more for 7.1 now.

3) What are the advantages of Legato over two PC12+ subs, other than the $300 in savings of course?

#2 ·
1) If you had to choose between MTS-01s and MBS-02s for your front speakers, which would you? I ask because I do indeed have to make that choice and MTS-02s aren't available :) (I don't think the left-only pair you guys have would offer the imaging I'm accustomed to).
Ya know, I don't feel that would be a problem, except aesthetically.

The reason tweeters are offset is because it provides a different path length to the side of the cabinet, which prevents the diffracted sound from combining together symmetrically and creating a strange frequency response. In reality, as long as the tweeters are asymmetrical the "two left pairs" will be behaving as designed. It really should have no effect on the stereo image.

#3 ·
Provided the MTS-01 had the upgraded crossovers, I would choose it over the MBS-02, simply because it's a more flexible speaker which plays deeper and I also just happen to like towers for my mains.

We are in the final stages of building more XOs for the MBS-02 and will start offering them for sale again in about week. They won't last long - so jump on it if you're thinking about it. I'm grabbing two pair of oak myself for an eventual upgrade to 11 channel wide/height.

The Legato is simply a passive PC12-Plus subwoofer which uses an external amp. The amp is less powerful than dual PC12-Plus (which is why the Legato package costs less than dual PC12-Plus). Some 2-channel enthusiasts like to have all equipment in their rack, and the Legato appeals to them.

#4 ·
I also like towers for mains and was inclined to leave them that way, just wanted to check and see if you thought different since you've a lot of experience with the products. While normally I'm a fan of "Just try it," the amount of work it would take to switch things around would be substantial. I do have the upgraded crossovers, so I'll keep it like it is.

I'll probably snap up another pair of MBS speakers when they come back because they are just so good. I'm not really sure that 7.1 is worth it for what I do but I am really sure that I want to have it :).

#5 ·
7.1 is totally worth it IMO. Many Blu-ray soundtracks are now being issued in 7.1 and it will only expand to additional channels over time. The future of home surround sound is moving to 9 and 11 channel set-ups, and many of the new AVRs are equipped with algorithms to facilitate this, like DTS-NeoX, DPLIIz and Audyssey DSX, not to mention proprietary algorithms from various brands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.