Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

SVS SB13-Ultra Owners Thread

48K views 67 replies 24 participants last post by  Lumen 
#1 ·
Noob here on HTS.

I previously owned the SVS PB10-NSD after searching for a sub that would work well for both HT and music. The much larger SVS subs simply do not fit well in my room (nor my wife’s approval), and ported subs, especially the large ones do not do as well for music. After reading that someone had replaced 2 REL Stratus subs for a PB10, I pulled the trigger on one and have been very happy since. I always wondered what I was missing in not being able to own an Ultra however, and it was with great joy that I found out SVS was finally releasing the SB13-Ultra!:sn:

My Ultra finally arrived on the 16th (2 weeks later than you fortunate Americans), and I am now a very happy camper! :T

I just posted this short review on the SVS site so I thought I'd start this thread for the other SB13-Ultra owners out there:

The build quality of the SB13-Ultra is outstanding! Looks great in the Black Oak finish and is heavier than this relatively compact box looks.

I still haven’t watched a full bass-quality movie yet with my new SB13-Ultra nor have I had the chance to run REW. So far I’ve watched scenes of a few movie clips that I’m familiar with (War of the Worlds, Master & Commander, and Ironman 2) to do a quick evaluation of its abilities with just a quick set-up.

On this material, the extension, headroom, and clarity are amazing! Though I know the PB13-Ultra has more output down low, I seriously can’t say I would need more than the single SB13-Ultra already provides. There are fine details heard in some bass sections and sound effects that I don’t remember hearing before being presented with great definition!

Music has always been very important to me as well and is one reason that I’ve been waiting for a SB version of the Ultra. Ported subs, especially large ones, tend to do less well with music.

This is the most articulate sub I’ve ever had the pleasure to listen to! in terms of musicality, the SB13-Ultra is absolutely wonderful. On jazz, you can actually hear the sounds of a double bass player’s fingers pluck the strings, and the nuances in the way the notes are played are easily heard. Playing bass heavy music like “Woofer Cooker” which has serious amounts of deep bass, the SB Ultra more than stands up to the task. This sub is an out-standing subwoofer for music! I had a fellow audiophile over the other day to listen- he has a set of high-end Tetra 505 speakers and is now thinking of adding a SB13-Ultra to his system. The ultra low end bass, quickness, out-put, definition and pure musicality really blew him away.

The only thing I would suggest is that SVS throw in a small mirror as this would make it much easier to set the dial and make the adjustments after it’s set in place. Even better, maybe make a way to reverse the display to use with the small hand-held mirror, however this is minor as it’s still easily read. Would probably only require a small change in the display programming to accomplish.

I have no reservations recommending the SB13-Ultra for HT, and even more importantly, for music. This is a truly superb sub for both audiophiles and Home Theatre buffs.

I’m looking forward to seeing how it does after I tweak it a bit more using REW and make some adjustments with its dual band Parametric EQ.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
There must be other people by now that have the SB13-Ultra and can comment about it or tested it?
I don't think I have heard any new comments or reviews on it in almost a month.
I ended up pulling the pin and bought 2 of them just in time to get pre order pricing and discount for duals. My main interest is replacing my dual ported 12" Paradigm subs as I am more interested in sound quality in music playback, I am 70/30 for Music/Movies.

I am quite impressed with the sound quality I have heard from music in comparison to my ported ones, delay is very low compared to the ported ones, also no boominess !

I have only been testing one so far in a smaller room 10'x11' with REW and hope to get them both going in living room in the next week or so to do some real testing but so far the sealed SB13 has surprised me in how low it can go even though it's only rated for 20hz and they say can go as low as 15hz in a room I guess it makes sense that in my small room it was flat to 12-13 hz! I even had to use the Room compensation mode to bring it down.
Low-pass was set to 50hz also

Attachments

#4 ·
Because we don't high pass the SB13-Ultra on the low-end until <10 Hz, its roll-off slope is a very good complement to room gain in smaller listening spaces. Your experience in that size room is typical - extension 12-13 Hz - and that's with the room gain comp enabled!

As shown on our website Tech Specs tab, the anechoic response of the SB13U is down about 22 dB @ 12-13 Hz. So your room provides at least that much room gain at those frequencies - actually more since you have the room comp enabled. This 'free bass' allows the subwoofer to have much more extension and output than the anechoic response would otherwise suggest.

#5 ·
I love my ported PB13 Ultra. I would love to hear direct comparisons between the ported vs. sealed box. I kind of thought the ported box was the best way because I can seal it if I want to. The problem is that I always prefer the sound of the ported. I really wonder how the performance compares between the PB13 ultra with all plugs in the ports (sealed) vs. the SB 13 Ultra.

#6 ·
Well Steve it is basically the same according to the testing that has been done and that I have done, if you compare the charting from the reviews on both.
I'm sure Ed can confirm this if i'm wrong.

I'm thinking a possible slight benefit going toward the low end on the SB13 being 1-2db better in the 20hz since the box is sized to be sealed vs the plugged up ports in the much bigger box.
Dale's review max Spl chart shows and I have also made my own charts and have tested one and 2 SB13's working together.

I am getting 102 db at 20hz as per what Dale's chart also shows.
I am getting a max of 111 db at 50hz which is pretty much max. (Something that no one has stated in any reviews yet)
Both subs going I have been getting 106 db at 20hz and 114.5 at 50hz

With your ports open it seems like it is a somewhat close 2 for 1 deal (2x SB13U = 1 PB13U)

I must say i did not like the sound of the new sealed subs compared to my older ported subs the first few weeks, I felt it was lacking the low end punch and thump that my ported had, mainly because the sealed were so flat and my ported subs had a boost around 26hz, but i was able to adjust things on the SB13 to give me the sound i was missing down low (higher from 28hz down) and i'll never go back to a ported again. Even if it costs almost 2x the price, They are so much cleaner, tighter, quicker, with no more boominess, delay.

Buying 2 sealed is a must though if you are use to a big ported one! :wave:

#7 ·
I've got twin PB13 Ultras and have been mulling going to twin SB13 Ultras. I vary rarely use the max SPL my twins are capable of in my 2700cuft room, but I would much prefer the smaller size for more room placement flexibility and lower visual impact. This is a living room and my wife has been gracious with allowing the big twins thus far. I think I'll try my PB pair sealed for a while to see what I'm "missing".

#8 ·
hi, i'm new to the forum and this is my first post, not sure if my question should be placed in a new thread or in current, sorry if i did it wrong.

I just ordered my SB13-ultra last week and waiting for delivery within a couple of days. As I live in a wooden house with hardwood floor and my HT is on 3rd floor I'm thinking of adding an isolation pad under it as I expect it will add some more output than the HRS8 i currently have. The auralex subdude 15 seems like decent and cheap choice but I'm not sure if the SB13 will fit it. could anybody help me with the measures between the "feet" of the sb13? Any experience or advice on a good isolation pad for this sub (that is not a DIY)?

thanks
/Paul

#10 ·
Congrats on your new purchase!

Though I haven't tried to unscrew the feet from my SB-13U, I remember that they were easily removed from a previous SVS so should be the same and won't be needed on your subdude 15 which should work nicely. Sorry, I just don't want to lift this beast up to do the measurement. :bigsmile:

You could always just phone SVS to ask them the distancing of the feet as well, but I suspect they will be spaced at less than 15" so won't even need removing.

#12 ·
Thanks all for responses. This is what I got from Ed at svs:
"According to the CAD print, the feet are 320 mm apart along the width dimension, and 340 mm apart along the length dimension. The overall cabinet dims are 440 mm x 440 mm. So figure 60 mm inboard on the width and 50 mm inboard on the length.

The Auralex SubDude and GRAMMA products have been well received by our customers and I can recommend them in general. There is a SubDude HD also, which is nicer finished."

#13 ·
I've had my SB13 Ultra for three weeks now but unfortunately, its difficult for me to give a definitive opinion on its performance in my system and in my room because 1) my Yamaha RX-V3800 AVR has developed an issue in which it will sound normal (good bass performance) on some days and then on other days sound like there's no bass in anything I play or as if some of the music/soundtrack is missing (because it is, the AVR is faulty apparently). 2) I'm not a firm believer in Yamaha's YPAO auto calibration software. I'm not sure it does the best job but I haven't used any other like program so I don't have a point of reference on that point. I'm trying to find a good surround processor to mate with amp separates to replace the AVR but until then, I'm stuck with it.

Anyway, in spite of that issue, when the bass is right, the SB13 has had moments in my system when it has provided some real punch. While playing Black Ops II on 'Nuketown', when the nuke goes off at the end, my floor, walls and windows tremble in its wake. I don't think the 13 is perfectly tuned to my system/set up due to my AVR's fault condition as well as YPAO's lackluster performance setting things up.

While watching TRON in 3D, the SB13 did good justice to that movie's soundtrack with bass that was neither too lean nor too thick but I really think that if I knew more about manual sub tuning (to my system/setup I mean) or if I had a better auto cal solution that did a better job setting levels, EQ, delays etc. the movie could have sounded much better still. I think the sub is capable of much more definition and texture than I'm getting at the moment.

I have Paradigm Studio 100 V.4 mains, a matching CC690 center channel all crossed over in the AVR at 60Hz as recommended by SVS's 'Merlin' software'. Unfortunately for me, I don't know as much about manually tuning the sub to my system for the absolute best performance as some others on this forum so I don't think I'm hearing all the performance the SB13 is capable of.

I hope anyone else who has one or has one on the way is able to wring every ounce of performance from it.

#15 ·
Hello everyone.....I'm new to the forum. I have dual SB13 Ultra's and have a set up question. To get both subs integrated in there current location...are these the steps?

Step 1. Using the pink noise from the avr, set the first sub (which is furthest away) to 75db's, phase to 0 and then switch it off.

Step 2. Second sub...Phase at 0. level match the sub first and then adjust phase until I get max gain.

Step 3. Then run Audyssey.

It this right? Thanks for the help.

#16 ·
This is the correct approach for dual subs which are different distances to the listening position. The sub which is closer needs some phase delay to blend optimally with the sub which is farther away. Then the single subwoofer distance in Audyssey will be more valid for both subwoofers.

#17 ·
Thanks Ed. At first I used a 200hz warble tone and not the avr's pink noise. It didn't work out so well. I did because it was easier to read the spl meter. I have discovered that you have to sit there a bit and watch the meter with the pink noise to get an average.

#25 ·
I hate to say it but they do :0), Saturday morning "early" I sent in an email to Tech Service actually to Jack whom I normally chat with, Ed responded through out the day & we emailed each other back and forth, Sunday morning "poof" Doug is emailing me to follow up.

I have been a fan of SVS for a long time and I actually used to live in Ohio and visited the shop in Girard a couple of times and they have supported me in Italy twice.

I remember back in 2002/3 timeframe I spent a lot of time with emails and phone calls with Tom V trying to get a PCU sent to me in Italy...it was going to cost a fortune in shipping , LOL, but a lot cheaper then PB2-Plus.

Great Company and its good to see the tradition carries on, it was fun going down in the basement in Girard chatting with the guys that put the beast together.

#27 ·
All good points. I am surprised however at Newegg and especially Asus! Asus is known for very good quality products and with the instant spread of information (read complaints in this case) over the internet, this cannot be good for their reputation.

I'd write them again and try to escalate the issue to a higher level than the customer service person at the front desk.

#29 ·
I have already escallated this, and got nothing from it. On neweggs side I kept asking for a manager, but I felt like they were just passing the conversation to their friend that probably sits next to them. They handed the online chat off to 3 different people that were supposed to be managers and even managers to the managers. I even got an RMA and sent the board back to Newegg. They sent it back and wouldn't help. One newegg representative even claimed that the board looked used. This really made me mad because if the board was used, they sent it to me that way. When they sent the board back to me, it had even more bent pins then when I sent it in. These were actually damaged by newegg. They didn't realize that I am a bit paranoid and took pictures of the shipping process and the motherboard as I packed it away accompanied by time frame pictures to go along with the shipping time frames, and these pictures showed that these pins weren't bent when I shipped it back to newegg. I sent these pictures to Newegg and they didn't know what to do, so they offered a $30 rebate towards a new motherboard, but I had to eat the cost of the original $210 motherboard. I actually think Newegg put physical damage on the motherboard thinking that I wouldn't be able to prove it. I don't think newegg is the same company they used to be. I have had some of my own items that I have ordered from them that had seals broken on the packages. They looked used to me. I never said anything about these items because they always seemed to work, but I did always wonder if I was getting refurb units. I did buy a video card from them also that was dead on arrival, and they wouldn't take care of it because I sent in a mail in rebate, and part of the packaging was gone because I had to send it in for proof of purchase. Thankfully the video card was an EVGA and they replaced it fast.

As far as Asus goes, I have used their products the most, and I have always liked their products the best, but after some research it seems that they have a long history of not taking care of their customers. I went through forums and noticed many people saying that Asus would not take care of RMA's, and that Asus would even reply on neweggs website that they will take care of a customer to make them look good, and then ignore the customer emails. These kind of businesses should not be allowed to keep doing this to customers.

I am almost dumbfounded that this can even happen to a consumer in America. I had a friend that was from Hong Kong. He told me that you could buy computer components for just pennies on the dollar in his homeland, but they weren't guaranteed to work. He said that in America, you can rest easy because everyone guarantees the product, but it will cost more. It sure seems that this American policy is starting to lose out with some companies.

#30 ·
Disappointing for sure and a cautionary tale for all.

Rest assured, based on all comments I've heard and in my own experience, SVS will take care of you!

I think if a competitor's sub performed similarly for a similar price, I'd still go with SVS because of this! :clap:

#31 ·
I am sorry I got this thread sidetracked. I just wanted to point out why I will probably never consider any other company except SVS when it comes to audio. They have a better reputation than any company I have seen. I hope many more people comment on the SB13-ultra. I have been thinking about getting this sub, and giving my Mom my PB13/ultra. Her surgeon told us that we should just be thankful that she is still with us. His outlook wasn't good. I was almost done building her a sub, and I haven't finished it yet. I think it is terrible that she might not even get a chance to listen to it so I am going to give her mine, and I hope I never get my sub back because that would mean good things for my Mom. In the mean time, I look forward to hearing about the SB13/ultra because I might just buy this sub when I get the funds. I don't know whether I will just save a little bit more to get a PB again or whether the SB will keep me happy.

#32 · (Edited)
I just listened to Dire Straits Brothers In Arms 20th anniversary edition SACD and was blown away by track 7 'The Man's Too Strong'. I have listened to this many times, but this is the first time I guess with the SB13 Ultra. If you have this disc give it a whirl.

Update: Just realized that the strong bass on that track is only present in multi-ch surround.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.