SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #11 of 82 Old 03-09-13, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
gordog wrote: View Post
Prior to my SB13-Ultra, I had a PB10-NSD which I was very, very impressed with. I thought SVS had discontinued a great little sub when they did. Too bad you didn't have a PB10-NSD to compare with the new PB-1000.
I would have loved to hear the PB10-NSD with my own ears. I don't recall ever seeing a bad thing said about it, which is rare indeed.

How do you like the SB13?

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 82 Old 03-10-13, 11:01 AM
Shackster

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
I would have loved to hear the PB10-NSD with my own ears. I don't recall ever seeing a bad thing said about it, which is rare indeed.

How do you like the SB13?
I listen to a lot of music and belong to an audiophile group. Virtually everyone from the group has remarked that they seriously have to look into the SB13-U to add to their systems, many of which have high-end audiophile full range speakers. Everyone agrees that the SB13 is probably the most musical true sub they've heard, very fast, tight and accurate. Extremely low extension, I get actual response down 12 Hz (at 10Hz, I see woofer movement, but no sound and the windows rattle 35 feet away - so I guess it does out-put at 10 Hz). In short, it's a wonderful sub for 2 channel and I've never missed the extra out-put that a ported box would bring for HT use either.
post #13 of 82 Old 03-11-13, 02:35 PM
SVSound
Ed

Quote:
I listen to a lot of music and belong to an audiophile group. Virtually everyone from the group has remarked that they seriously have to look into the SB13-U to add to their systems, many of which have high-end audiophile full range speakers. Everyone agrees that the SB13 is probably the most musical true sub they've heard, very fast, tight and accurate. Extremely low extension, I get actual response down 12 Hz (at 10Hz, I see woofer movement, but no sound and the windows rattle 35 feet away - so I guess it does out-put at 10 Hz). In short, it's a wonderful sub for 2 channel and I've never missed the extra out-put that a ported box would bring for HT use either.
The SB13-Ultra was specifically developed for applications like this. The low Q knee/corner and the shallow roll-off slope results in a low group delay and subjectively excellent transient response with that classic tight/musical/fast sealed subwoofer sound with no overhang. The fact that it also happens to rip nicely on HT source material doesn't hurt either.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #14 of 82 Old 03-12-13, 09:03 AM
Shackster

Quote:
Ed Mullen wrote: View Post
The SB13-Ultra was specifically developed for applications like this. The low Q knee/corner and the shallow roll-off slope results in a low group delay and subjectively excellent transient response with that classic tight/musical/fast sealed subwoofer sound with no overhang. The fact that it also happens to rip nicely on HT source material doesn't hurt either.
Yes, based on my experience with my PB10-NSD, I had no doubts that the SB13-Ultra would fit my needs.

I'd always wondered how the PB13-Ultra would sound in my system, however was concerned with the very large driver's transient response and that sealed subs are generally better for music.

So as soon as I heard about the SB13-Ultra's pending release, I knew I had to have one and got in on the first shipment! Very proud to say I'm one of the first in the world to be a proud owner of this wonderful sub!
post #15 of 82 Old 04-03-13, 02:09 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I'm going to get the PB-1000 to replace my PSB Subsonic 5. With the exception of bass extension which the SVS has in spades over the PSB, I wonder how much better it will sound. The PSB -3db point is at 32 Hz (if I remember correctly) but it too has a very flat frequency curve similar to that of the SVS. I don't think I will hear much improvement in quality of bass but I will definately feel more and get better deep bass extension.
post #16 of 82 Old 04-03-13, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Graphs, charts and numbers can only go so far when it comes to determining how something performs. There's no question they're very helpful, but your ears are the only way to determine what sounds "best" for you. The PB1000 may surprise you.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #17 of 82 Old 04-04-13, 09:54 AM
Shackster

Cool Re: SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

Yesterday my PB1000 and SB1000 arrived.

First tests are promising, great little subwoofers next to my PC12nsd

Next weekend I will run Audessey again after setting up both subwoofers.

For DSP I use a Velodyne SMS-1
post #18 of 82 Old 04-13-13, 10:07 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
asdonk34 wrote: View Post
Yesterday my PB1000 and SB1000 arrived.

First tests are promising, great little subwoofers next to my PC12nsd

Next weekend I will run Audessey again after setting up both subwoofers.

For DSP I use a Velodyne SMS-1
Stop holding out on your results man!! We wanna know NOW how your tests are going.
post #19 of 82 Old 04-13-13, 01:23 PM
Senior Shackster
steve1616

Quote:
I didn't know if you had by chance heard the PB13/ULtra to compare. I was just wondering because I have the PB13/Ultra, but have never heard the SB13/Ultra. I have always thought my PB13 was the most musical sub you could ever have. It has no distortion, but gives you an unbelievable experience for home theater use. I tried the PB13 in sealed mode, and even for music I just feel that my ears like the ported better. Of course, my room has a pretty flat frequency response for with the 20 Hz ported mode. I do notice that people seem to fall in love with the SB13/Ultra like no other sub.
post #20 of 82 Old 04-14-13, 01:41 PM
Shackster

Quote:
steve1616 wrote: View Post
I didn't know if you had by chance heard the PB13/ULtra to compare. I was just wondering because I have the PB13/Ultra, but have never heard the SB13/Ultra. I have always thought my PB13 was the most musical sub you could ever have. It has no distortion, but gives you an unbelievable experience for home theater use. I tried the PB13 in sealed mode, and even for music I just feel that my ears like the ported better. Of course, my room has a pretty flat frequency response for with the 20 Hz ported mode. I do notice that people seem to fall in love with the SB13/Ultra like no other sub.
I only ever had a brief listen to a PB13-Ultra, and it was a while ago. From memory, it was truly amazing for HT, however music, though deep and accurate where you could hear nuances with the very low notes, etc., it seemed to be a bit slower in both transient response and decay seemed a bit unnatural which I expected from a very large driver. I was impressed, however not enough to buy one for my use in music. It's one reason that I got the PB10-NSD at that time as I felt that it had a more natural sound with music which may be because the 10" driver would be quicker and more responsive than the big 13. It wan't nearly as impressive as the PB-13-U for HT however, but I found it to be a very good compromise.

My SB13-Ultra does everything I want it to do and though the PB has more out-put for HT, the SB has as much as I ever need and I no longer feel my system lacks anything. If I had room, I might consider a second SB13-Ultra just to even out the bass response for all listening positions.