SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #31 of 82 Old 09-18-13, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
D Bone wrote: View Post
I just pulled the trigger on a PB-1000 to replace my Cadence CSX-12 II. I researched SVS, Rythmik, Outlaw and Power Sound Audio and in the end, the PB-1000 hit all of the important check boxes in our criteria for a replacement sub. Jman's review was very helpful, as was S&V's test of both the PB-1000 and the PB12-NSD. I was surprised at just how close the PB-1000 tested compared to its bigger, and more expensive brother according to S&V. Here are the numbers from S&V along with my CSX-12 for comparison sake:
I actually reviewed the Cadence, so I'm familiar with that one as well. The PB12 I've never heard though, so I have no direct insight to offer there.

What you're likely to find now -- other than the obvious size difference between the CSX12 and PB1000 -- is the SVS will play deeper, while the Cadence has more output. The PB1000 wins when it comes to dynamics too. Initially you may feel the PB1000 seems "weak", but that's merely because it's not embellishing the mid-bass like the CSX12 does. That fades with time though, and you'll soon realize how good it really is.

After you've had the opportunity to get it tuned and fully broken in be sure to come back and post your thoughts. Others will benefit from your experience.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 Old 09-18-13, 04:28 PM
Shackster

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
I actually reviewed the Cadence, so I'm familiar with that one as well. The PB12 I've never heard though, so I have no direct insight to offer there.

What you're likely to find now -- other than the obvious size difference between the CSX12 and PB1000 -- is the SVS will play deeper, while the Cadence has more output. The PB1000 wins when it comes to dynamics too. Initially you may feel the PB1000 seems "weak", but that's merely because it's not embellishing the mid-bass like the CSX12 does. That fades with time though, and you'll soon realize how good it really is.

After you've had the opportunity to get it tuned and fully broken in be sure to come back and post your thoughts. Others will benefit from your experience.
Thanks J! I bought the Cadence in part because of your review, as well as S&V's too. It was the first piece of my remolded living room based home theater and has done a great job, but after 2+ years it's time to move on. I just feel that in order to really "feel" the lower bass on the CSX-12, I need to turn the trim up past where Audyssey set it, and then the upper 60-90hz stuff is just overpowering and the whole system sounds out of balance. I feel even better now after what you said, and I know I'm going to be very happy.....Thanks again for all of your work, and answering my questions on all the different forums.
post #33 of 82 Old 09-18-13, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Thanks again for all of your work, and answering my questions on all the different forums.
You're very welcome. I'm glad my reviews have proven beneficial for you.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

post #34 of 82 Old 09-26-13, 11:27 PM
Shackster

Just a quick preview to my upcoming review.........WOW
post #35 of 82 Old 09-27-13, 08:42 AM
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to hyghwayman

D Bone, I know that feeling and can't wait to read your review of the PB1000.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

F.S. SB13-Ultra

post #36 of 82 Old 09-27-13, 09:02 AM
Senior Shackster
Mark Anderson

Quote:
Just a quick preview to my upcoming review.........WOW

Same feeling I had with my PB-13 Ultra
post #37 of 82 Old 10-17-13, 07:28 AM
Shackster

I tried out an SB-1000 but the sub couldn't produce in my large room. I bought a SB12 too but still wanted more output so just sold the SB12 as well. SVS recommended dual sb12's but I'm probably going to try another brand at this point. The ultra sub's are outside of my budget. I will say the build quality of the SB-1000 was very good but I would recommend it only if you have a small room.
post #38 of 82 Old 01-23-14, 09:41 PM
Senior Shackster

How does the PB-1000 compare to the Dayton SUB-1200? Don't laugh! Is the SVS PB-1000 $400 better? Thanks.

Edit: Movies only.
ceetee likes this.

Sony STR-D810, Polk Tsi300, CSI 2 Series II, no good sub yet.
post #39 of 82 Old 01-23-14, 11:59 PM
Shackster

Quote:
goodears wrote: View Post
How does the PB-1000 compare to the Dayton SUB-1200? Don't laugh! Is the SVS PB-1000 $400 better? Thanks.

Edit: Movies only.
SVS PB-1000 hands down.
post #40 of 82 Old 01-24-14, 02:55 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
SVS PB-1000 hands down.
Is it $400 better?

Sony STR-D810, Polk Tsi300, CSI 2 Series II, no good sub yet.