SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #41 of 82 Old 01-24-14, 03:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
goodears wrote: View Post
Is it $400 better?
Oh absolutely with out a doubt

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 82 Old 01-24-14, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Is it $400 better?
That's next to impossible to quantify I'm afraid. It all depends upon your preferences, financial situation, goals, etc. If you have the money it's certainly worth considering. I've reviewed both of them, so I have first hand experience to draw from, and each is quite a bargain in their own right.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #43 of 82 Old 01-24-14, 10:20 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Is it $400 better?
To me yes. To others, I guess that depends. If you want any bass you can feel (sub 25hz), then the PB-1000 is your only choice. If you are only after the 'boom', then I suppose the Dayton would work fine.

post #44 of 82 Old 01-28-14, 09:13 AM
Shackster

Quote:
D Bone wrote: View Post
To me yes. To others, I guess that depends. If you want any bass you can feel (sub 25hz), then the PB-1000 is your only choice. If you are only after the 'boom', then I suppose the Dayton would work fine.
I don't understand why some think the Dayton Sub-1200 just "booms", if you take the time to set it up and position and properly calibrate it (this goes for any sub) it is not a bad sub by any means. I've had more expensive highly regarded subs in the past so this is not a blind observation on my part.

There are a lot of more expensive subs that only go down to 25hz, yet many of them get glowing reviews. again I'm not saying the Sub-1200 is as good as them but to say that a sub that does not go below 25hz that it just booms is not a correct statement.

I'm not saying it is as good as the PB-1000 or goes as low but some of us are financially strapped and can not afford more than the Sub-1200. I highly commend Dayton Audio for offering a very good sub for a malt liquor budget.

What gets me is a lot of people will say the the Sub-1200 is garbage, but yet have not listened to it, this does nobody any good.

In my opinion as far as value goes I would say that the Rythmic LV12R is worth $100 more than the PB-1000.
ceetee likes this.

Last edited by mark62; 01-28-14 at 09:18 AM.
post #45 of 82 Old 01-28-14, 03:16 PM
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to hyghwayman

Quote:
How does the PB-1000 compare to the Dayton SUB-1200? Don't laugh! Is the SVS PB-1000 $400 better? Thanks.

Edit: Movies only.
Here's what I see ya get for the extra

SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Quote:
Specifications: • Power output: 120 watts RMS • Frequency response: 25-140 Hz
PB-1000 300 Watt DSP Controlled, 10" Ported Subwoofer.[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Specs: • Power output: 300 watts RMS continuous power (720 watts peak dynamic power). • Frequency response: 19-270 Hz +/- 3 dB
+180 watts RMS / +6 dB lower extension with a 130 dB higher crossover setting which makes it easier to match up to more speaker systems with higher crossover requirements. That's just on paper, mind ya

Look at this beautiful driver SVS has put in there, SB1000

For me going from a Bic F12 to a SVS sub was Hugh with biggest improvements in the forum of clarity of sound output, driver response and almost a +20 dB lower cutoff (I said it was Hugh right).

I think you just need to ask yourself one question, How Low do U wanna GO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

F.S. SB13-Ultra

post #46 of 82 Old 01-28-14, 05:07 PM
Shackster

watts is only part of the equation, all things being equal watts would be watts, but you have to consider the sensitivity of the driver for one and other things that go in to makings of a subwoofer, I have read on it but I am no expert, so I cant go into the particulars. there are really good subs with just 200 watts, you just cant look at one spec like watts and make an informed decision on that alone.

Of course the PB-1000 is a better sub, I'm not debating that.
post #47 of 82 Old 01-28-14, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
mark62 wrote: View Post
watts is only part of the equation, all things being equal watts would be watts, but you have to consider the sensitivity of the driver for one and other things that go in to makings of a subwoofer, I have read on it but I am no expert, so I cant go into the particulars. there are really good subs with just 200 watts, you just cant look at one spec like watts and make an informed decision on that alone.
You are indeed correct; watts, taken in isolation, is almost irrelevant when attempting to determine the capability of a subwoofer. Even the class designation -- A/B, C, G, etc. -- is a significant when gauging the ability of an amp to provide the rated power. There are so many other factors that an explanation of them becomes an article unto itself.

Having personally heard both the PB1000 and SUB-1200 I can attest to the fact the former is a better subwoofer. However, the latter is no slouch, in spite of its perceived shortcomings (at least on paper). If you have a $500 budget, and you don't require the benefit that multiple subwoofers can provide, than the PB1000 should definitely be considered.

-Jim

post #48 of 82 Old 01-28-14, 09:09 PM
Shackster

I have no doubt the PB1000 is a hek of a sub, what I take offense to (and not necessarily here) is people giving bad advice as to the sub-1200 or any other gear on biased ignorance. I've heard those one-note wonders and the SUB-1200 is not one of them

I got the SUB-1200 not expecting much and I was quite surprised so I bought another.

I would hope one day I could buy a Rythmic LV12R, but after losing my $60,000 a year job I had for 24 years and now it seems I am almost not desirable in the job market, for age or whatever reason, my prospects of having highend gear again is not looking so good. So the SUB-1200 fits what I can afford and I'm pretty happy with them.

I'll get off the rant now and I am not a SUB-1200 fan boy but it is not a BOOM BOOM BOOM sub.

Last edited by mark62; 01-28-14 at 10:21 PM.
post #49 of 82 Old 01-28-14, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
mark62 wrote: View Post
I'll get off the rant now and I am not a SUB-1200 fan boy but it is not a BOOM BOOM BOOM sub.
I concur, and my review of the SUB-1200 corroborates that assessment.

-Jim

post #50 of 82 Old 02-20-14, 06:23 PM
Shackster

I purchased a PB-1000 in November of last year. It has been the biggest upgrade I've done to my home theater! it was a hard pick between this and the LV12r but I live in Canada and got a special discount on the SVS.