Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

76K views 88 replies 27 participants last post by  theJman 
#1 ·
SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofers​
By Jim Wilson (theJman)

Conclusion
A little over a year ago I had contacted SVS and suggested they should add a subwoofer in the $500 range, something that had SVS quality but was a bit easier on the wallet than their current offerings were. The response was rather tepid, so I let it go. Apparently someone at SVS must have been thinking along the same lines because they ultimately released not one but two models priced under $500, the PB1000 and SB1000. After spending time with both I understand why; they're targeted at two different customers, and they fill those niches perfectly. The PB1000 will probably end up being the bigger seller, because it has the depth and output most home theater fans crave. Don't completely dismiss the SB1000 though, because it fills a need like few other subwoofers can. It's tiny, but that's not how it sounds or performs. The bottom line is that SVS has created a pair of entries in the budget subwoofer category that have their signature sound, but at an affordable price.

For the full review Click Here

See less See more
#2 ·
I will most likely end up with the PB-1000 as its main application will be Home Theater. I run my PSBs full range when listening to music without the sub in play.

#4 ·
Stellar review Jim - what a great experience to be able to do two at once!
I think it was the proofreading that made it stellar... :neener:

Reviewing two units simultaneously did turn out to be a bit of a challenge, but ultimately I concocted a system that worked for me. It was an enjoyable experience though, in spite of all the effort it took. They're both very nice subwoofers in their own right. I'm sending them off to Dale now so he can add them to the Sub Zone.

#5 ·
Thank you very much for the review. It had to take a while to give this detailed of a review. I remember I had a review done right after I got my MTS-02 speakers, and I never got it posted for a long time because I was always worried about how it would sound to everyone else.

#6 ·
I hope you ultimately posted your evaluation. I always encourage everyone to do a write up of some type, even if they don't think it's "great". The more people who add their impressions the better these forums become. That's my 02 anyway...

#8 ·
Jman,

I did finally post my review on this forum a half year later, but I felt terrible because it was only a few months later that SVS discontinued their M series. I have always felt bad because I was thinking that they could possibly of sold more if my review came out sooner. I realize the internet based companies need good reviews to sell their product. Oh well, this won't be my last SVS product so I will do better at posting my next review.

#9 ·
Thank you for the review Jim , this is a nice option for us in Canada since the price is the same as the US counter part and compared to what it's sold in big brick/mortar stores at insane prices and regarding very low quality when it comes from bang for your buck .

#10 ·
Thanks for the review Jim. I've been recommending SVS subs to several friends and wondered how the new entry level subs performed.

Prior to my SB13-Ultra, I had a PB10-NSD which I was very, very impressed with. I thought SVS had discontinued a great little sub when they did. Too bad you didn't have a PB10-NSD to compare with the new PB-1000.

#11 ·
Prior to my SB13-Ultra, I had a PB10-NSD which I was very, very impressed with. I thought SVS had discontinued a great little sub when they did. Too bad you didn't have a PB10-NSD to compare with the new PB-1000.
I would have loved to hear the PB10-NSD with my own ears. I don't recall ever seeing a bad thing said about it, which is rare indeed.

How do you like the SB13?

#15 ·
I'm going to get the PB-1000 to replace my PSB Subsonic 5. With the exception of bass extension which the SVS has in spades over the PSB, I wonder how much better it will sound. The PSB -3db point is at 32 Hz (if I remember correctly) but it too has a very flat frequency curve similar to that of the SVS. I don't think I will hear much improvement in quality of bass but I will definately feel more and get better deep bass extension.

#16 ·
Graphs, charts and numbers can only go so far when it comes to determining how something performs. There's no question they're very helpful, but your ears are the only way to determine what sounds "best" for you. The PB1000 may surprise you.

#18 ·
Stop holding out on your results man!! :hissyfit: We wanna know NOW how your tests are going. :D

#30 · (Edited)
I just pulled the trigger on a PB-1000 to replace my Cadence CSX-12 II. I researched SVS, Rythmik, Outlaw and Power Sound Audio and in the end, the PB-1000 hit all of the important check boxes in our criteria for a replacement sub. Jman's review was very helpful, as was S&V's test of both the PB-1000 and the PB12-NSD. I was surprised at just how close the PB-1000 tested compared to its bigger, and more expensive brother according to S&V. Here are the numbers from S&V along with my CSX-12 for comparison sake:

PB-1000 Results:
Frequency response
18 Hz to 177 Hz, ±3 dB
Bass output (CEA-2010A standard)
• Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz) average: 113.0 dB
20 Hz 110.6 dB
25 Hz 113.0 dB
31.5 Hz 114.9 dB
• Low bass (40-63 Hz) average: 121.6 dB
40 Hz 119.8 dB
50 Hz 122.2 dB
63 Hz 122.5 dB

PB12-NSD Results:
Frequency response
19 to 272 Hz ±3 dB
• Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz) average: 111.0 dB
20 Hz 110.2 dB
25 Hz 110.8 dB
31.5 Hz 112.1 dB
• Low bass (40-63 Hz) average: 118.1 dB
40 Hz 119.0 dB
50 Hz 120.3 dB
63 Hz 115.1 dB

Cadence CSX-12 II Results:
Frequency response
34 to 154 Hz: ±3 dB
• Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz) average: 103.2 dB
20 Hz 91.3 dB
25 Hz 105.4 dB
31.5 Hz 113.1 dB
• Low bass (40-63 Hz) average: 121.6 dB
40 Hz 117.2 dB
50 Hz 121.9 dB
63 Hz 125.6 dB

#31 ·
I just pulled the trigger on a PB-1000 to replace my Cadence CSX-12 II. I researched SVS, Rythmik, Outlaw and Power Sound Audio and in the end, the PB-1000 hit all of the important check boxes in our criteria for a replacement sub. Jman's review was very helpful, as was S&V's test of both the PB-1000 and the PB12-NSD. I was surprised at just how close the PB-1000 tested compared to its bigger, and more expensive brother according to S&V. Here are the numbers from S&V along with my CSX-12 for comparison sake:
I actually reviewed the Cadence, so I'm familiar with that one as well. The PB12 I've never heard though, so I have no direct insight to offer there.

What you're likely to find now -- other than the obvious size difference between the CSX12 and PB1000 -- is the SVS will play deeper, while the Cadence has more output. The PB1000 wins when it comes to dynamics too. Initially you may feel the PB1000 seems "weak", but that's merely because it's not embellishing the mid-bass like the CSX12 does. That fades with time though, and you'll soon realize how good it really is.

After you've had the opportunity to get it tuned and fully broken in be sure to come back and post your thoughts. Others will benefit from your experience.

#37 ·
I tried out an SB-1000 but the sub couldn't produce in my large room. I bought a SB12 too but still wanted more output so just sold the SB12 as well. SVS recommended dual sb12's but I'm probably going to try another brand at this point. The ultra sub's are outside of my budget. I will say the build quality of the SB-1000 was very good but I would recommend it only if you have a small room.

#46 ·
watts is only part of the equation, all things being equal watts would be watts, but you have to consider the sensitivity of the driver for one and other things that go in to makings of a subwoofer, I have read on it but I am no expert, so I cant go into the particulars. there are really good subs with just 200 watts, you just cant look at one spec like watts and make an informed decision on that alone.

Of course the PB-1000 is a better sub, I'm not debating that.

#47 ·
watts is only part of the equation, all things being equal watts would be watts, but you have to consider the sensitivity of the driver for one and other things that go in to makings of a subwoofer, I have read on it but I am no expert, so I cant go into the particulars. there are really good subs with just 200 watts, you just cant look at one spec like watts and make an informed decision on that alone.
You are indeed correct; watts, taken in isolation, is almost irrelevant when attempting to determine the capability of a subwoofer. Even the class designation -- A/B, C, G, etc. -- is a significant when gauging the ability of an amp to provide the rated power. There are so many other factors that an explanation of them becomes an article unto itself.

Having personally heard both the PB1000 and SUB-1200 I can attest to the fact the former is a better subwoofer. However, the latter is no slouch, in spite of its perceived shortcomings (at least on paper). If you have a $500 budget, and you don't require the benefit that multiple subwoofers can provide, than the PB1000 should definitely be considered.

#48 · (Edited)
I have no doubt the PB1000 is a hek of a sub, what I take offense to (and not necessarily here) is people giving bad advice as to the sub-1200 or any other gear on biased ignorance. I've heard those one-note wonders and the SUB-1200 is not one of them

I got the SUB-1200 not expecting much and I was quite surprised so I bought another.

I would hope one day I could buy a Rythmic LV12R, but after losing my $60,000 a year job I had for 24 years and now it seems I am almost not desirable in the job market, for age or whatever reason, my prospects of having highend gear again is not looking so good. So the SUB-1200 fits what I can afford and I'm pretty happy with them.

I'll get off the rant now and I am not a SUB-1200 fan boy but it is not a BOOM BOOM BOOM sub. :nono:

#51 ·
(Bose Cinemate 120) Vs (SVS PB1000 + Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones 5.0)

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post so pardon me if I sound like a noob.
I have the bose cinemate 120. I liked them in the beginning but now I want more surround sound plus the subwoofer is not a true subwoofer as I can hear dialogues through it many times.
I am thinking of selling it and buying (SVS PB1000 + Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones 5.0) and Sony (STRDH550 5.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver).

1)Has anyone compared these two setups personally?
2)Will I get better sound while watching movies?
3)Is this receiever good enough for these speakers and subwoofer?

Thank you in advance.

#52 ·
That would be a HUGE upgrade from the Bose system in every way. I would suggest looking at Accessories4less.com for a receiver in your price range rather than the Sony as they are not known for stellar performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.