SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #71 of 82 Old 04-23-16, 03:28 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 36
Re: SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

I am looking to upgrade from my current subwoofer which is a Polk DSW 550wi. It would pair up with a Yamaha YSP-5600 soundbar.
The room is 14x21 with 10ft ceilings. Usage is pretty much 70% movies and 30% music. We listen at medium to loud levels.

I have been looking at the SB-1000 because of size and WAF. My budget is around $700.00 but could go a bit higher is need be, so the SB-1000 is well within my budget. SVS told me the SB-1000 should be able to handle a room of this size with no problem but would just not play as loud through the frequency range.

Anyone have experience with the SB-1000 in a room of this size?

I have been looking at the SVS and Martin Logan Dynamo 700w and if I go with the SVS would be also purchasing their
wireless kit.
Attached Thumbnails
SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread-fullsizerender.jpg  


Yamaha YSP-5600
Polk DSW PRO 550wi Subwoofer
Sony BDPS590 BluRay
Sharp LC-60C8470U TV

Last edited by tasdisr; 04-23-16 at 03:30 PM. Reason: additional info
tasdisr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 82 Old 04-24-16, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
theJman's Avatar
Jim
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 2,929
My System
Re: SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
tasdisr wrote: View Post
I am looking to upgrade from my current subwoofer which is a Polk DSW 550wi. It would pair up with a Yamaha YSP-5600 soundbar.
The room is 14x21 with 10ft ceilings. Usage is pretty much 70% movies and 30% music. We listen at medium to loud levels.

I have been looking at the SB-1000 because of size and WAF. My budget is around $700.00 but could go a bit higher is need be, so the SB-1000 is well within my budget. SVS told me the SB-1000 should be able to handle a room of this size with no problem but would just not play as loud through the frequency range.

Anyone have experience with the SB-1000 in a room of this size?

I have been looking at the SVS and Martin Logan Dynamo 700w and if I go with the SVS would be also purchasing their
wireless kit.
My review was done in a room about 1200 ft^3 smaller than yours, and the SB1000 was just enough for the amount of space I have. Frankly, I don't see the SB1000 being able to provide sufficient output and depth for movie watching in the 2940 ft^3 you have. For music perhaps, but not movies. If WAF prevents you from getting something more appropriate - like the PB2000 - you might want to consider the SB2000 instead. That would fare better in your room and fits within the budget.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
theJman is offline  
post #73 of 82 Old 04-24-16, 11:24 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 36
Re: SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
My review was done in a room about 1200 ft^3 smaller than yours, and the SB1000 was just enough for the amount of space I have. Frankly, I don't see the SB1000 being able to provide sufficient output and depth for movie watching in the 2940 ft^3 you have. For music perhaps, but not movies. If WAF prevents you from getting something more appropriate - like the PB2000 - you might want to consider the SB2000 instead. That would fare better in your room and fits within the budget.
Thanks for the input. I will have to take a look at the SB2000 and PB2000, even though I don't think the PB2000 will pass the WAF.
When I contacted SVS they said the SB1000 should be able to handle a room that size. That is why I like to ask forum members to get their feedback on real world applications.

Last edited by tasdisr; 04-24-16 at 12:02 PM.
tasdisr is offline  
post #74 of 82 Old 04-24-16, 01:52 PM
Elite Shackster
 
willis7469's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: minnesota
Posts: 3,713
My System
Re: SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

I Agee with Jim here. A pb2k is the minimum sub I'd purchase for that much space. If you're on concrete, it's that much worse(not sure if you are). I had an sb2k and it's fantastic and small. I think it's not enough for 3000cuft either. As far as WAF goes, don't forget that it's your space too. I remind myself that periodically, however we have 7.3 in our living room so I've use up a lot of WAF.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willis7469 is offline  
post #75 of 82 Old 04-24-16, 02:13 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 36
Re: SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
I Agee with Jim here. A pb2k is the minimum sub I'd purchase for that much space. If you're on concrete, it's that much worse(not sure if you are). I had an sb2k and it's fantastic and small. I think it's not enough for 3000cuft either. As far as WAF goes, don't forget that it's your space too. I remind myself that periodically, however we have 7.3 in our living room so I've use up a lot of WAF.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I am not on concrete. Wood floors and full basement under that. I have also used up a lot of WAF but we will see what happens.
I may be able to swing the SB-2000, at least it is a little narrower and not as high as my current sub.

Yamaha YSP-5600
Polk DSW PRO 550wi Subwoofer
Sony BDPS590 BluRay
Sharp LC-60C8470U TV
tasdisr is offline  
post #76 of 82 Old 04-24-16, 04:19 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 44
Re: SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

I agree. If your budget is $700, the SB-2000 would be a better option. If you can stretch your budget a bit (and maintain WAF), you might want to try dual SB-1000s.
gordog is offline  
post #77 of 82 Old 04-24-16, 04:50 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 36
Re: SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
gordog wrote: View Post
I agree. If your budget is $700, the SB-2000 would be a better option. If you can stretch your budget a bit (and maintain WAF), you might want to try dual SB-1000s.
I can stretch the budget but not the WAF.
b bos37 likes this.
tasdisr is offline  
post #78 of 82 Old 09-21-16, 10:10 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Mass.
Posts: 10
Re: SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

Hi guys. I can new to this forum and I wanted to ask some questions about the PB1000. My room is about 1100 cubic feet with a carpeted floor. I like games, movies, and music equally. I like Metal/rock/dubstep/EDM. Would that sub be enough or should I increase my budget? I read Jman's review and it seems the PB1000 seems good to me. Thanks.
scorpion_pepper is offline  
post #79 of 82 Old 09-22-16, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
theJman's Avatar
Jim
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 2,929
My System
Re: SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

If your room is sealed, so 1100 ft^3 is the entire space, then the PB-1000 would have no problem with that. The room I used for my review is about 50% larger than yours, and it was just fine. If you really like to push things the PB-2000 might be more to your liking, but if your budget doesn't allow that I think you would be pleased with the PB-1000.
scorpion_pepper likes this.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
theJman is offline  
post #80 of 82 Old 09-22-16, 08:25 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Mass.
Posts: 10
Re: SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofer Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
If your room is sealed, so 1100 ft^3 is the entire space, then the PB-1000 would have no problem with that. The room I used for my review is about 50% larger than yours, and it was just fine. If you really like to push things the PB-2000 might be more to your liking, but if your budget doesn't allow that I think you would be pleased with the PB-1000.
Do you think the PB2000 to be worth $800? I assume you would consider the Rythmik LV12R a much better buy for $590? The PB1000, PB2000, and Rythmik get lots of positive reviews though. Thanks!

Last edited by scorpion_pepper; 09-22-16 at 09:00 AM.
scorpion_pepper is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
discussion , pb1000 , review , sb1000 , subwoofer , svs , thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome