Plus/2 volume control problem - scratchy - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 12-08-07, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Jim

Plus/2 volume control problem - scratchy

Hey everyone. My PB12 Plus /2 sub which I've had for about a month now has a problem. I just noticed today when I went to turn the volume down in the back of the sub that a low but audible scratchy sound comes from the woofers. At first I thought I was hearing things so I continued to just turn the volume knob up and down fully and sure enough, a scratchy sound every time the knob was being adjusted. This doesn't happen unless the volume knob is being adjusted, left alone and the sub performs as expected . It's not that loud, but with nothing playing, I can easily hear it; should I be worried about this? I'm not one to be adjusting the volume much on the sub but I don't want to run into any problems down the road.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-08-07, 06:15 PM
SVSound
Ed

Re: Plus/2 volume control problem - scratchy

Quote:
coffeeman wrote: View Post
Hey everyone. My PB12 Plus /2 sub which I've had for about a month now has a problem. I just noticed today when I went to turn the volume down in the back of the sub that a low but audible scratchy sound comes from the woofers. At first I thought I was hearing things so I continued to just turn the volume knob up and down fully and sure enough, a scratchy sound every time the knob was being adjusted. This doesn't happen unless the volume knob is being adjusted, left alone and the sub performs as expected . It's not that loud, but with nothing playing, I can easily hear it; should I be worried about this? I'm not one to be adjusting the volume much on the sub but I don't want to run into any problems down the road.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
This is called a noisy pot. We screen for them at the factory, but sometimes they develop over time with dust/humidity getting into the control. It won't hurt the performance of the subwoofer and as you noted it only occurs when the gain control is moved - which is very rare after the subwoofer is calibrated. If it bothers you, we can certainly replace the amp - just contact me at tech support. Thanks Jim.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #3 of 9 Old 12-09-07, 12:39 AM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Would maybe some electronics spray be worth a try?

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #4 of 9 Old 12-09-07, 02:43 AM
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Mine does this too, but it's getting old. No biggie. It's not like a normal volume pot anyway, so you will not notice anything with normal use.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-09-07, 07:48 PM
Senior Shackster

mike

Quote:
Ed Mullen wrote: View Post
This is called a noisy pot. We screen for them at the factory, but sometimes they develop over time with dust/humidity getting into the control. It won't hurt the performance of the subwoofer and as you noted it only occurs when the gain control is moved - which is very rare after the subwoofer is calibrated. If it bothers you, we can certainly replace the amp - just contact me at tech support. Thanks Jim.
now that's what you call service!

I agree with everyone here, a subwoofer's gain control is NOT a volume control ... you just set and forget. IMO, removing the amp to replace something that does not affect performance is not necessary. like they always say: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
post #6 of 9 Old 12-09-07, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Jim

After talking with Ed, I decide to just let it go for now since it's not really an issue with the performance of the sub. He says the same thing you guys are saying. I have to agree that the customer service level is top notch. And people wonder why so many become fanboys.

Last edited by coffeeman; 12-09-07 at 10:14 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-14-07, 04:46 AM
Shackster
suniil

I has this problem a while ago, but it dissappeared after turning the knob (clockwise-anticlockwise) couple of times
post #8 of 9 Old 12-14-07, 09:40 AM
jwhite

My pb10 did the same and stoped when I rotated the knob all the way up and down a couple of times
post #9 of 9 Old 12-14-07, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Jim

Not mine. I'm going to try a little Dust-Off canned air on it and see if that helps.